Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508617 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2925 on: November 01, 2017, 10:34:36 am »

Given the problem with the Chaos Invasion I have been playing a campaign with the beastmen and I am having a blast. The first time I played them Brettonia was boring and incomplete and there were no Wood Elves. Now I have High Elves and Skaven to fight as well. I think I never had so much fun in a playthrough as I am having now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:25 am »

A public test for a hotfix addressing the Chaos invasion mechanic has been made available for players to opt in via Steam. Patch notes are in the blog post linked.

The main changes to the Chaos invasion are:
1: Chaos will invade when the player grows to a certain size.
2: Chaos will no longer invade at a certain number of turns into a campaign.
3: The Chaos invasion spawns at war with most factions, except Chaos and Beastmen, splitting their focus away from the player.
4: Lizardmen and High Elves have been given the "Shield of Civilization" diplomatic trait. This'll encourage them to ally with the Empire, Dwarfs and Bretonnia against Chaos when they invade.

There is also a few other details in the hotfix, addressing some missing buildings, garrisons and the odd lighting in the unit porthole. Though, since this is a public test for the hotfix, I'm assuming there'll be more changes once the patch is released in full.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: November 03, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »

I rage-quit Bretonnia after like the second battle. I have no idea how to play them, their only good units are cavalry but if you build your army around those then you can't actually perform hammer and anvil tactics because your infantry is so pissy it will fold before you even get the cavalry in a flanking position.
How to play Bretonnia:

1. Build farms fucking everywhere with those windmills and shit for unlimited money
2. Conquer Marienberg and every port you can find for more unlimited money
3. Infantry? What is that?
4. Build only cavalry. Maybe flying if you're feeling fancy.
5. Charge!
6. If enemy not dead, repeat #5
7. If enemy brought anti-large, write stern letter about balancing to GW and CA.
8. Then send in the Hippogryphs.
9. Upgrade Leon to max level with his regeneration and shit, then send him to solo entire armies as the single most powerful melee lord in the game.

-------------

In all seriousness, they're kinda tough to play. Their armies revolve around specific units that buff morale. Stuff like the Grail Reliquae and heroes to make sure your front line doesn't run the fuck away constantly.

Bretonnia is one of those armies where you actually want to get morale buffs as your lord's bonuses to make sure your army isn't worthless.

But if you don't like the faction, the best thing to do is just play a faction you actually like. I don't really like Bretonnia either.

i only recently went back to TW1 and did a bretonnia campaign, having not really played since i did dwarves and VC games about a year ago

and uh yeah... it's a lot of cavalry. even my peasant levies are being used for... yeoman mounted infantry. the charging is very satisfying though, and apparently my main lord is capable of tying up 3-4 enemy infantry units at a time??

glad i read that post above about "WE counter bretonnia." having just conquered marienburg i was trying to figure out what direction to go in next (farther into empire, north to norsca, or se to fight WE).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:46 pm »

Meanwhile, on the historical front, CA posted this update on the historical total war games. They've got an expansion for an older game, a standalone expansion to a previous game, and a new historical total war in an era they haven't done yet in the works.

Today this posted a ten second teaser which revealed the expansion to be for Rome II.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: November 07, 2017, 02:36:48 am »

End of Empire, huh? Attila kind of fills the ’fall of Rome/Barbarian Invasion’ niche already, so I’m at a loss here. Alexander’s conquests (empire being the Persian)? Wars of the Diadokhi (empire being Alex’s)? Going way back in time? Or in the future? A surprise Fall of Byzantium sequel? Maybe it’s a mechanics-focused DLC instead of adding a new era.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:43 am »

"We've been drawing huge crowds to our mo-cap studio"

Three Kingdoms wirefights confirmed.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:16 am »

Since this is the closest to a general total war thread we got, here's the new dlc for Rome 2: Empire Divided
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:51 am »

Since this is the closest to a general total war thread we got, here's the new dlc for Rome 2: Empire Divided

Heh, I overlooked the Crisis of the Third Century because I thought the period wouldn’t have enough new/different stuff to make up a DLC. Heroic Factions sound like Warhammer’s Legendary Lords and their Quest missions. The rest doesn’t look too interesting, so I’ll give it a pass.

We have an old Rome 2 thread if someone wants to necro, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »

Huh, looks like the base game is getting free content, that you can get right now. It revamps the political system for all campaigns except Caesar In Gaul.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »

I'm curious why they updated Rome 2 instead of the vastly superior Atilla. Maybe it's more popular?

---------

I've continued my Last Defenders game. After playing more of the Lizardman, here are more thoughts. Feel free to correct them.

1. My initial thoughts on Lizardmen ranged infantry have changed a bit. I still think they're trash, but they're pretty good at pissing off the enemy. I actually have skirmishers now instead of those 3 ammo javelin skinks and those guys have vanguard deployment. I had a battle against Queek in an underground map where I vanguard deployed three of them in front of his army. The Skaven then had to chase those skinks aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back to me, taking damage the entire way without being able to catch them. Was quite hilarious.

2. Terradons are frigging amazing. I love these things. They're like discount gyrocopters. Completely useless in aerial fights but so goddamn annoying. Unlike trash like WE eagle bow riders or whatever they're called, these ones actually do damage. And they don't cost an arm and a leg to field. The flaming bolas are particularly great, easily getting 200 kills each battle. Provided they're not being chased around by bats or something. They're really good at sniping lords and heroes too.

3. Lore of Heavens is amazing now. Frigging wind blast owns. Chain lightning too, but that one can just fly all over the place. It frequently obliterates my own army. Comet is still trash though. The thunder bolt one is pretty bad too.

4. Did I say Lore of Heavens is amazing? What I meant to say was Lore of Beasts is incredible. Holy shit, I think they overbuffed this tree because it is absurd. Just Flock of Doom can obliterate armies. And overcast it only costs 10 mana. Each time you cast it, units take 1/3rd of their health in damage (but strangely it can't kill things, only drain health). So if you use 30 mana, you will blow up an entire army. It's crazy. The AOE is gigantic too. Then there's Wyssan's Wildform. Another ultra cheap, gigantic AOE spell that basically gives your entire army armour and damage. Who even needs Slann?

5. My continued observations on the insane strength of Saurus continues. I had a settlement defense where rebel Skaven were attacking a level 2 settlement. I basically only had 2 spear Saurus and some shitty Skinks. The Skinks ran instantly but the two spear Saurus routed about 1000 Skaven before finally falling to the Grey Seer. Frigging nutty. When I was fighting against the Wood Elves, it's the first time I've ever seen an infantry unit survive WE running out of arrows.

6. The game is a lot easier when you completely ignore the Vortex rituals. I should probably get around to doing them.

7. There's no Skaven any more in this game. My one single intervention army autoresolved Clan Pestilens into the ground. RIP. They're still running around. I think they're trying to go fight the Dark Elves. Curious if they'll make it.

8. I think I need a new processor. This aging but venerable i5 2500k can't handle this 150% unit size mod. But I can't play the game without it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 08, 2017, 04:14:09 pm »

I'm curious why they updated Rome 2 instead of the vastly superior Atilla. Maybe it's more popular?
It is more popular, but judging by what they've released so far, the standalone expansion in the works is from Attila.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: November 08, 2017, 04:59:33 pm »

It is more popular, but judging by what they've released so far, the standalone expansion in the works is from Attila.
I'm looking forward to it. More Attila is always good.

I mean, fuck Attila and the Huns, both IRL and IG, but the game is superb. Fucking horse archers... Not even fucking horses. The Huns rode what were basically donkeys. Fucking donkey archers.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: November 08, 2017, 05:18:17 pm »

I mean, fuck Attila and the Huns, both IRL and IG, but the game is superb. Fucking horse archers... Not even fucking horses. The Huns rode what were basically donkeys. Fucking donkey archers.

I think you wanted to call them ponies, not donkeys. They are nothing like donkeys.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: November 08, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »

I think you wanted to call them ponies, not donkeys. They are nothing like donkeys.
I can call them whatever I want because they're cheesing lamers who make every fight super lame. So if I use poetic exaggeration to exemplify my point, know that in my superior omniscience I am aware they are actually a breed of horse but because they're so puny and small and stocky, I use an insulting term to refer to them despite it being factually incorrect.

Edit: tl;dr: It's like when you call Richard Hammond a hamster, we understand that he's not actually a hamster. He's actually an American.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: November 08, 2017, 05:52:34 pm »

Rome 2 is far more popular than Attila, despite Attila's quality. A lot of people didn't buy because they were either disgruntled with CA over Rome 2 or thought it was just Rome 2's Napoleon.

I can call them whatever I want because they're cheesing lamers who make every fight super lame. So if I use poetic exaggeration to exemplify my point, know that in my superior omniscience I am aware they are actually a breed of horse but because they're so puny and small and stocky, I use an insulting term to refer to them despite it being factually incorrect.

Edit: tl;dr: It's like when you call Richard Hammond a hamster, we understand that he's not actually a hamster. He's actually an American.
I dunno, saying you were massacred by donkey archers seems more humiliating than (small) horse archers.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 277