Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509173 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2370 on: July 05, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

I think they are sinking.

I still think the Total War: Warhammer... was meant to sell way more than it did, and likely the licensing fees and conditions might have... hurt them.
It's literally the best selling Total War ever.

If that's a failure condition, I'll be astonished.

Remember Tomb Raider, which sold over a million games... Was considered a commercial failure.

This is their best selling Total War by a small margin, I fully suspect they expected a lot more sales, like actually hitting that million mark.
Look up two posts, they seem to disagree.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: July 05, 2017, 08:39:39 pm »

I think they are sinking.

I still think the Total War: Warhammer... was meant to sell way more than it did, and likely the licensing fees and conditions might have... hurt them.
It's literally the best selling Total War ever.

If that's a failure condition, I'll be astonished.

Remember Tomb Raider, which sold over a million games... Was considered a commercial failure.

This is their best selling Total War by a small margin, I fully suspect they expected a lot more sales, like actually hitting that million mark.
TWW is the undisputed top selling game in the entire franchise and outperformed many of Sega's other games last year. It even got special mention in the entire Sega Sammy Holdings annual statement. This includes ALL their holdings such as their resorts, arcades, pachinko, Sonic, etc. It was right up there with motherfucking Persona 5, the only other major game that got mentioned at all. This is ridiculous considering the sales performance of RTS games in this day and age where the only RTSes that ever get the spotlight are XCOM and Civ.

TWW sold spectacularly. CA have even stated that their DLC for this game has sold better than entire full games of the series. Please go spread your nonsense somewhere else.

In fact, I've mentioned these facts on here several times now. But because you are Neonivek, you seem to have experienced your usual cognitive dissonance and completely forgotten about this. It's okay. I forgive you. It's cruel to harp on inferiority after all, and I am but a generous god.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know why I am drawing this ire.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:28:09 pm by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: July 05, 2017, 09:44:35 pm »

Because it's basically your word against CA's. They specifically said it was a resounding success beyond their wildest dreams.
Which is a strange lie to tell if you're actually haemorrhaging money.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: July 05, 2017, 09:45:47 pm »

I don't know why I am drawing this ire.

Brah. As I have oft told you, you make claims with little or no support and then people come in, refute them, and then you make comparisons to (in this case) a situation that is dissimilar (in the sense that Tomb Raider was a BIGGER risk that took Square Enix over year to recoup it's $100m budget), people get mad, then you get confusedtm about why people are mad. It is not necessarily the nature of your claims that draws the ire, and what you suggest taken objectively is possible, but the manner in which you have suggested it.

To your credit, you backed things up with some numbers (accurately, I might add)--which is appreciated--but mainly, probably, you're starting to have a bit of a reputation for sudden, potentially unfounded contrarian suggestions.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:29 pm »

Also you suddenly changed your story from Warhammer not having a million sales, to having 1.5 million sales.

So if CA did lose a lot of money on Warhammer 1, why do they have at least 5 different teams, two working on Warhammer content, and three on historical total war games? Why forge ahead with a planned trilogy if their first game failed.

Also, GW keeps licensing out the IP to tiny mobile games and random devs. Is there any reason why they would make CA pay a ridiculously large licensing fee like Neonivik's suggesting?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: July 05, 2017, 10:13:34 pm »

Putting Neonivek-isms aside for now, I was kinda thinking about what they would do Sagas about in Ireland.

I mean, it probably won't just be Ireland but imagine if it was.

I think some kind of iron-age tribal Total War with Celtic influences would be fairly interesting. Instead of fighting over cities and towns, we fight over simple villages. The unit list will probably be ultra boring though. Or maybe they could really take it to the next level by doing it Shin Megami Tensei style and having all the gods, dieties, and heroes show up. Guys like Cu Chulainn, Dadga, and so on showing up.

I'd totally get that. But the "historical-only" fanboys would probably go rabid if that was announced haha.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »

Putting Neonivek-isms aside for now, I was kinda thinking about what they would do Sagas about in Ireland.

I think some kind of iron-age tribal Total War with Celtic influences would be fairly interesting. Instead of fighting over cities and towns, we fight over simple villages. The unit list will probably be ultra boring though. Or maybe they could really take it to the next level by doing it Shin Megami Tensei style and having all the gods, dieties, and heroes show up. Guys like Cu Chulainn, Dadga, and so on showing up.

I'd totally get that. But the "historical-only" fanboys would probably go rabid if that was announced haha.
It might be the viking invasion of Britain. Would make sense for the area.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: July 05, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »

Wasn't there a Medieval 2 campaign that did that already?

I actually wouldn't mind a more modernized version of that campaign. It was my favorite of them all in Medieval 2.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: July 05, 2017, 10:22:37 pm »

Wasn't there a Medieval 2 campaign that did that already?
Nope. That was a later period. It even had Richard the Lionheart returning from the crusades and William Wallace reenacting Braveheart.

The expansion for the first Medieval was that, I think. But that's old as fuck.

EDIT: I suppose it could also be either the saxon invasion of Britain... or the norman one. Not a whole lot else happened that can be done in a total war. War of the Roses might be nice, but it has to be a period they already did.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: July 05, 2017, 10:27:07 pm »

I mean another less conspiracy related change that could have happened is a shift in CA direction, leadership, or shareholder has caused them to become very monetization heavy.

Quickly making a non-sequel. As well as a cheaper piecemeal series can work very well (Yeah it killed some games and worked well in others)

This isn't a recent development mind you, It was noticeable around Empire Total War.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:31:00 pm by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: July 05, 2017, 10:29:03 pm »

Would be totally keen for the viking invasion as a DLC.
Faction leader Bjern Ironside, coming up.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: July 06, 2017, 12:51:17 am »

Surtha Ek & Chariots of Doom, with ten different types of chariots and a Mad Max -style chariot driving sidegame.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: July 06, 2017, 01:19:41 am »

...where the only RTSes that ever get the spotlight are XCOM and Civ.

Both of those RTS games also stand out by virtue of actually being turnbased :P

As for the teaser, it would be quite interesting to see a remake of Medieval: Viking Invasion. Though I always hope for original content over yet another goddamn remake/remaster

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: July 06, 2017, 02:41:39 am »

Whups. You're right there. Meant strategy games.

I guess that makes Total War the last surviving bestselling RTS series eh? What with Starcraft being kinda put to the wayside these days (unless you count that thing they're trying to do with remastered Starcraft 1). Is there even anything else left?

Clash of Clans? Wargame?
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 277