Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508615 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1935 on: March 24, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »

One interesting thing to note is that the "real" elves and the Slann aren't limited to singular schools of magic like the Old World is. They have access to everything.

I wonder if they'll represent this in the game somewhat.

And maybe FIX magic without us relying on Cataph to do it.

Who am I kidding, sieges and magic are here to stay in this current shitty form.
I would like to note that Wood Elves should have access to all eight lores of battle magic, high magic and dark magic. Yet, don't. Also amethyst (and gold) wizards are missing in the empire. I hope they don't cut lores from the elves and slann.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:18 pm »

So apparently Beast lore magic users for Bretonnia can't summon Manticores, despite that being an option in their skill tree.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 24, 2017, 06:45:17 pm »

1. It's Sega, not Sony.
2. No one said they're making a new engine. That would be extremely unlikely.
Okay so what, people are mad that Warhammer is releasing Warhammer 2? Which is a weird way to name an expansion, imo. It's just a special kind of DLC, people.

I mean, it's completely expected as it is Sony we're talking about but I was still a bit shocked that they'd go for such a blatant 'that's another £50 please' so soon.

Whilst I wasn't expecting a whole new engine, I'd at least expect them to have iterated on the past one a bit. I can't even imagine they'd have had time to sort of learn from mistakes and improve it at this point. The graphics/unit count/etc. can't be any better really as in the last year not much has changed computer power wise, and so it'll literally just be more races.
I'm not so sure how to do the proper highlighting thing. Anyways, sorry for the confusion! I mostly just confused myself!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:18 pm »

I feel like access to every lore of magic would just be a huge UI tangle and waste of skill points.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:09 pm »

They have got characters who can choose from 1 of 2 different paths (Minotaurs with their offense/defense buffs), maybe they could do that but only being able to choose 1 of the various lores for a mage? They could have them selectable from a drop down menu in the skill tree screen to avoid clutter. Races other than the Empire don't have unique looking mages for each lore, as far as I remember.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 24, 2017, 09:20:33 pm »

So apparently Beast lore magic users for Bretonnia can't summon Manticores, despite that being an option in their skill tree.
Yes they can.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 24, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »

Yes they can.
Weird, because I went into battle with one and that spell option wasn't there. Is there some limit to when it can be used I'm not aware of?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 24, 2017, 10:45:03 pm »

Yes they can.
Weird, because I went into battle with one and that spell option wasn't there. Is there some limit to when it can be used I'm not aware of?
Yes, if you exceed your unit limit of battle (20 for campaigns unless you turned off large battles then it's 10) then you can't summon any more units until you lose them somehow.

In skirmishes it also depends on whether large battles is enabled.

If the icon is missing entirely, it probably means you either didn't learn it or some mod is conflicting with it or something.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 25, 2017, 06:50:07 am »

It is still kind of silly if they ask 50/60 bucks for it. That will make the finished game worth 150 bucks plus 60 bucks of DLC's per installment, so... something like 330 bucks. And people say Paradox whores DLCs?

..Did people just start hating standalone expansions nowadays? I remember Dawn of War did this too, unlocking new races with each expansion  to the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:46 am »

It is still kind of silly if they ask 50/60 bucks for it. That will make the finished game worth 150 bucks plus 60 bucks of DLC's per installment, so... something like 330 bucks. And people say Paradox whores DLCs?

..Did people just start hating standalone expansions nowadays? I remember Dawn of War did this too, unlocking new races with each expansion  to the game.

It depends... Do you mean Standalone expansions?..

Or do you mean entirely separate games that borrow assets from the original title? (You know... in the same way Pokémon Moon is the stand alone expansion for Pokémon Sun)

Because people started to hate standalone expansions somewhere around the time they stopped being expansions.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:57:07 am by Neonivek »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 25, 2017, 07:13:58 am »

It depends... Do you mean Standalone expansions?..

Or do you mean entirely separate games that borrow assets from the original title? (You know... in the same way Pokémon Moon is the stand alone expansion for Pokémon Sun)

Because people started to hate standalone expansions somewhere around the time they stopped being expansions.

Considering that they combine together, It's a standalone expansion.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 25, 2017, 07:16:54 am »

Standalone expansions used to make sense though - when DoW did this there wasn't a platform for delivering new content directly into games like steam.

The issue with this is that it seems like they're just renaming a DLC package as a second game to make it sound like it's something that it isn't. They know that they'd be hard pressed to get people to fork over another £50 for a few more races, and couldn't charge for extra stuff like blood & gore packs and whatever if it was just part of the base game.

It just seems like marketing semantics rather than actually providing something new.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 25, 2017, 07:18:57 am »

Anyhow for a Stand Alone expansion...

It is excessively priced... You don't charge extra for standalone expansions because you can play them separately. That isn't how they work on the market.

Assuming that Zebio is right and they do combine (and not like... there is an extra mode that is the stand alone expansion and they do not otherwise interact in anyway)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: March 25, 2017, 07:49:09 am »

IMO, if it's another 30 gig, it's not an expansion, it's a sequel.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: March 25, 2017, 07:53:28 am »

Standalone expansions used to make sense though - when DoW did this there wasn't a platform for delivering new content directly into games like steam.

The issue with this is that it seems like they're just renaming a DLC package as a second game to make it sound like it's something that it isn't. They know that they'd be hard pressed to get people to fork over another £50 for a few more races, and couldn't charge for extra stuff like blood & gore packs and whatever if it was just part of the base game.

It just seems like marketing semantics rather than actually providing something new.

A few more races and two to three new continents worth of things to add. It's not like you could just add Dark Elfs to the game and not have Naggarond and the new world. Same with Lizardmen and Lustria, High Elfs and Ulthuan. It isn't like they can just add a few new buildings, a mechanic or two and somehow plop them down in the Old World.

Assuming that Zebio is right and they do combine (and not like... there is an extra mode that is the stand alone expansion and they do not otherwise interact in anyway)
Well it is what they mentioned.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 277