Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507407 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2015, 02:04:38 am »

The Empire is like the Holy Roman Empire, which is to say Germany.  Orcs come from the gaps between towns, every farm is a fortress, no one leaves the roadways.

Going down a river? Don't get off the boat.

The warhammer fiction is pretty rich, I recommend Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2015, 02:18:18 am »

Im kinda disappointed that there are only 4 factions to start.

Well, if it's anything like their other recent games, there'll be two or three sub factions to each faction.
Love, scriver~

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2015, 02:25:09 am »

Or...more likely...DLC whoring...we shall see

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2015, 02:42:05 am »

No, they don't do DLC for subfactions within factions. The DLCs will likely be for unlocking new factions (which will likely have 2-3 subfactions as well). That's been their strategy for Rome2 and Atilla, at least, as far as I can tell.
Love, scriver~

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2015, 07:05:00 am »

Given this is a TOOOTALLY different ball game where separate factions could be drastically different I wouldn't be so sure...especially since the current setup is faction = race as opposed to say faction = culture

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2015, 12:05:48 pm »

Remember: this is a fantasy setting, which means it's not just humans and a few animals everywhere. Rome 2 and Attila use only a few skeletons and animations, while here you'd need an animation and skeleton set for humans, another for griphons, yet another for trolls, for orks, and so on. DLC in this case is pretty acceptable considering the amount of work it would take for each army.

Besides, I'd rather they'd do a few races in-depth first and then add more over time than having them do a lot of factions with barely any detail between them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2015, 03:16:10 pm »

Double post, but the old post is a few days old by now. Here's an interview about the game. I like where they are going with it, but it seems that they will follow a sort of Dawn of War 1 model in that expansions will be stand-alone yet somewhat linked.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2015, 03:22:08 pm »

I wonder if we will ever see the demo that these guys saw.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

I kinda wish that Warhammer was done by a company that does TBS well, not a TBS/RTS hybrid like Total War. But I will take what I get - though without much hope.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2015, 01:11:30 pm »

I prefer the RTS aspect being a part of it...not a big fan of spending half the time I play a game waiting for the computer to move

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2015, 02:46:31 pm »

Well, if it's anything like their other recent games, there'll be two or three sub factions to each faction.

I can kinda see how that would work. The factions would be the races, while the sub-factions would be their actual factions. So humans would have the Empire, Bretonnia, etc; the elves would have High-, Dark-, and Wood elves; and so on.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »

I can kinda see how that would work. The factions would be the races, while the sub-factions would be their actual factions. So humans would have the Empire, Bretonnia, etc; the elves would have High-, Dark-, and Wood elves; and so on.
That seems like it would work quite well, actually.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2015, 08:00:25 pm »

That seems like it would work quite well, actually.

Could possibly even go a level deeper, with Humans being Middenheimer, Marienburgers, etc. Or even the various knightly orders. Tilea/Estalia are also options.

High Elves might be based on city-state as well. DEs and WEs sort of have to be actual races, not subraces, because they're very different. I have no idea how you'd split them up (fey or elf majority for WE? Khaine/Slaneeshi/Corsair/Normal for DE?)

O+G would probably be divided more along the lines of subraces rather than location (although location does feature into it a bit). NG, Goblin, Orc, Savage Orcs and Wolf Riders (or eastern hodgepodge). All with various resources and ways of doing things.

Will you join the Waaaggghhh! from an Orc leader from miles away with your gobbo horde? Does the Reik really care what happens to the Moot, unless ordered to by the Emperor himself?

There's lots of ways they can go with DLC whoring. If they do it right, it could be good. Big, basic Races at launch, then more different races/subraces, with lots of flavour units later on as DLC.

I'd prefer big races with options for more specific factions as an all-in-one package (ie: Buy DE. You get everything dark and elvy, so you're really buying 4 different factions. Normal faction (think AB race), then each specific subfaction, with them all being different enough to be worthwhile looking at, and gaining different bonuses and units for certain things. Corsairs do different things with slaves than Slaneeshi, but rule the seas instead of the chaos magicks, whereas Normal DE might not have the intrigue and assassination abilities of Khainite elves, but they do get a wide range of troop types to choose from).

So humans DLC would come with 5-8 different city-state variants or subfactions, just because the main race was already in the game. Tilea and Estalia aren't that different to the Empire, so even 4 regionals and those two would make a good package. Same with orcs, dwarves, vamps and elves and their various army types/subfactions. Less hard work, just unit variations, costings/availability, some strategic options and a bit of iconography.

Whereas new races (ones that actually do take a lot of extra art work/design/modelling and gameplay features to include) come with the big, basic race, and 3-5 subfactions along with it so you can vary up your playstyle a bit and try new things with your favourite race. That still leaves plenty of DLC for them to sell, but gives a nice all-in-one purchase for the customer so they only have to pick up their favourite races, rather than 100 DLC micro packages or oddly bundled groups.

The only odd bundle that I'd accept is Bretonnia and WE/Fey, because of lore and the fact that it'd be hard to split them up otherwise. You could have Bretonnia normal/Knightly/commoner I guess, but it's a pretty small package (same with WE splits for Normal/WE/Fey playstyles). A little bit of crossover wouldn't be terrible between them anyway, just to push the fluff a bit.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:36:49 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:45 pm »

I prefer the RTS aspect being a part of it...not a big fan of spending half the time I play a game waiting for the computer to move

Huh? Tactical combat in Total War games is actually far longer than tactical combat in any TBS games that I know of. As for strategic turns, turn waits can also become interminably long in Total War games as well.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

I know how the game works...been playing since Shogun 1.

I find it far more entertaining than most turn based games.

And you missed the point...combat taking a long time is not the same as waiting around doing nothing while the computer farts around every 10 seconds.

I do like plenty of TBS games...but I usually need to be in the mood for it
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 277