Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509134 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1395 on: August 25, 2016, 02:24:04 pm »

It will last as long as you have corpses. You can get Terrorgheists and stuff like that if enough things die there.

They are limited in number though and the VC have issues getting money so you can find just raising a single Terrorgheist cuts your income by 30% or something like that.

When I played my legendary VC campaign I was mostly just using zombies and skeletons with a Terrorgheist and some hexwraiths. It was cheap and easy to replace.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 25, 2016, 08:53:19 pm »

I had a large battle in the province to the left of Drakenhof. The units I could raise at first were limited but over time more powerful units appeared in the raise list.

I remember in that campaign I was also using heroes to raise the corruption in neighboring Averheim. Got to the point where I negotiated a defensive alliance with them against the empire. I think one of the effects of vampiric corruption is that it makes those factions affected more likely to accept your diplomatic terms.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 27, 2016, 05:32:52 am »

Hmm...

So I started up another Chaos campaign, as Archaon this time. Very hard.

I think between the Chaos hordes, the Norscans, and the Beastmen, the poor humans just get obliterated.

I swear I didn't even do anything. In fact, I can't even finish the long victory because there aren't enough settlements for me to attack.

Also, Archaon sucks balls. I don't know what it is about him, but I really don't like him. He's not a particularly amazing fighter. His mount sucks ass. He's limited to the Lore of Fire which is... meh. His legendary gear is pretty derpy. He's also pretty uncharismatic and unfun to play as. He's not cool like Sigvald or awesome like Kholek. He's basically just a souped up Chaos Lord... except regular Chaos Lords get Chaos Dragons while he gets his stupid little horse that makes him weaker.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 27, 2016, 05:57:05 am »

I was thinking maybe the norscan tribes should have armies with a maximum of 10 units, 20 if the lord is level 10 or when the chaos invasion starts. Make them more raids than full invasions.

Archaon is kind of generic. His unique items are nice but in my current campaign I only got them all by around turn 170. I use Archaon within 2 units of Chaos Knights as a flanking force with other heroes to give leadership to my main line. The lore of fire I use pretty much only for the flaming sword of rhuin just before lines meet. Also use Archaon as a hero/lord hunter.

I gained fondness for a lord I currently have equipped with the sword of torment, I think it's called. On use ability that lowers enemies attack and prevents them all from moving makes it great to catch enemy pistoleers as well as preventing enemy lords from fleeing before they're killed.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 27, 2016, 07:21:00 am »

Yeah I think Norscans should be limited to their army size too.
I guess at least until the end times really kicks off.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 27, 2016, 07:51:34 am »

The Norscans don't seem to actually do anything until the End Times anyway. Making them have small armies at the start would probably make it easy for VC/Empire players to rush them early and wipe them out so they can't help Archaon with his invasion.

I think the big problem with Archaon compared to tabletop is that his unique qualities don't actually transfer across all that well. In tabletop he was basically (or literally) immune to the attacks of mere spearmen and swordsmen unless they belonged to a superhuman race like WoC or Ogres for example, but in TW:WH he can be killed by massed spears rather than only being threatened by monsters and heroes/lords, and without Initiative, WS, Killing Blow and the other TT stats being simulated he can't kill enemy characters with a single hit, so he can get tarpitted or sniped by magic while being little more effective than a normal chaos lord in a brawl.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 27, 2016, 08:20:27 am »

Archaon, from what I've found, is pretty hard to kill and is good for charging at various units around a battlefield. Kills may be low but since I can throw him at pretty much anything and not worry too much about him I find he's good for flank charging and breaking moral.

Also: Creative Assembly has uploaded the skill list along with a portrait of Vlad von Carstein on their twitter account. Nice abilities, he seems very maneuverable, good at attacking and hard to kill.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1402 on: August 27, 2016, 08:25:07 am »

When I played Chaos I didn't even use archy that much, he just stood off to the side lobbing fireballs and generally being inspiring. I mostly took the passive boosts that make your army better.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 27, 2016, 08:31:03 am »

My favorite of the Chaos Legendary Lords is definitely Kholek. In my chaos game I wound up unable to get any other Lords to survive for any length of time and therefore unable to grow their army up to useful tiers of units, so Kholek basically took on the whole world with an army of Dragon Ogres, Shaggoths, and one death wizard on a horse.

At one point I had him sail all the way to the Badlands to help the Greenskins who were on the brink of extinction at the hands of the Dwarves, then once I had finally managed to break the back of the Dwarves and get them wiped out I returned North to clash with the Empire again. Biggest fight I ever had was when three full Empire armies attacked him at once and I couldn't run away, so I spell sniped their leaders and relied on the sheer crushing might of Shaggoths to make them break from casualties, while hiding from the full weight of their force behind a forest and a hill so they couldn't all see me at once to engage.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 27, 2016, 08:45:00 am »

Yeah, dragon ogre army is I think, maybe my favorite part of the whole game thus far.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 27, 2016, 12:10:24 pm »

I'm also fairly certain they buffed Kholek's thunderbolt spell.

I remember it used to be pretty crap at killing things, just mostly for disruption. I was fiddling with custom games earlier and it was just owning face.

-------------

Edit: A few other things I've noticed:

1. Sartoreal sucks dick. He's so frigging weak and he costs so much.

2. Is it just me, or are heroes easier to kill now after all the balance patches?

3. I'm kinda okay with where magic is at right now. I think it could still use some work but spells are... reasonably spammable and reasonably useful.

4. Combat is a lot slower now compared to when the game first came out. I don't even need the Proper Combat Mod any more. If you don't have any flankers, your infantry blobs can be stuck there forever such as in sieges.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 27, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »

Eh. I didn't like Kholek. I'm actually pretty bored with big dudes, weirdly. I don't want my lord on a dragon, I want my lord on a wall.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 27, 2016, 01:09:18 pm »

Eh. I didn't like Kholek. I'm actually pretty bored with big dudes, weirdly. I don't want my lord on a dragon, I want my lord on a wall.
Some big dudes are awesome, though, like Gorebulls and minotaurs in general.

Always incredible to see them literally roll over the enemy (and also bash down gates quicker than any ram).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 27, 2016, 09:22:44 pm »

I think the last patch they fiddled with the values for how explosion effects deal damage. I remember reading a thread where people were discussing why spells like headbursta don't deal that much damage and a suggestion was because it knocks units into the air, they might become immune to damage while airborn.

I do think spells should have more detailed descriptions, if it is relevent. In the tabletop spells targeted different stats so a spell that caused a toughness test would be best cast on a unit with low toughness like goblins or an initiative test on large monsters like the giant. Some spells would ignore armour value while others would use base leadership.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:00 am »

A new video is up showcasing a unique quest battle map involving Vlad von Carstein that will be released alongside other maps, Update 3 and the upcoming DLC "The Grim and the Grave".
To be clear, the update will come with 5 new battle maps as well as Vlad von Carstein as free additions to the game.
One of the big changes in this update is the fixing of what direction reinforcements arrive from on the battle map, now related to where they're positioned on the campaign map.

The patch notes for update 3 are also up and available to be read on the Creative Assembly wiki.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 277