Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507423 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1035 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:36 pm »

I just pitted the Kholek army I used in my WoC campaign against an army of Slayers led by Ungrim Ironfist.

Kholek, a Death Sorcerer, 6 Shaggoths and 12 Dragon Ogre units vs Ungrim and 19 Slayer units.

It was definitely one of the closest battles that Chaos army has ever had for me, the Slayers specialize in that sort of fight but just aren't quite durable or damaging enough to win, though they came very close and every Chaos unit broke at least once and several, including Kholek, died. Other than the Sorcerer, who hung back casting spells for a while, everything was horrifically mauled and very low on health.

I could have used the speed of my army better, but I decided to fight the way I had for most of the campaign and just got stuck in, sniped out the general and tried to grind the enemy down with superior might, but of course since Slayers are unbreakable that tactic doesn't work on them properly. Against more conventional armies a monster mob smacking into the center of the line and dragging everything into a melee brawl is rather effective, but Slayers are suited to dancing the Monster Mash.

I feel monsters and magic mixed together are a better way to kill monsters than Slayers, but Dwarfs get neither so it's kind of irrelevant.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 14, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »

Plus your sorcerer would've done some pretty brutal damage against the unarmored dwarfies.
I wonder if a runesmith would've been worth having one less squad of slayers.

Probably would've then just been another hero to get sniped, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:15:42 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:26 pm »

My favorite army is Sigvald Suneater and 19 units of Chosen with great weapons.

I consider Slayers to be a pretty worthless unit due to their complete lack of armour (they die to everything super fast). However, when I was fighting against Timferius, he had one unit of Slayers and these guys were chopping my Hexwraiths into tiny little ethereal pieces. I thought the Hexwraiths would clean them up completely due to Slayers having no magic damage but nope.

So I dunno. Maybe they're some kind of super DPS unit that dies super fast. Aka a berserker.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 14, 2016, 09:06:15 pm »

So I dunno. Maybe they're some kind of super DPS unit that dies super fast. Aka a berserker.

That is the basic premise behind them. Suicidal dwarfs looking to die killing the most dangerous things they can find. High damage but no real damage mitigation.

Plus your sorcerer would've done some pretty brutal damage against the unarmored dwarfies.
I wonder if a runesmith would've been worth having one less squad of slayers.

Probably would've then just been another hero to get sniped, I guess.

I don't think a Runesmith would have made much difference in the fight, the buffs they have are ok, but not really game changing if you ask me, and it definitely would have been crushed underfoot by a Shaggoth or sniped by the Sorcerer pretty quick since that's my general strategy when running the Dragon Ogre blob.

The Sorcerer didn't actually do much damage. I don't know why it is but even overcast vortex spells don't seem to do much. I flung a Purple Sun at the bearded ones, but it didn't seem to make much of an impact, Ungrim got hit with a drain and was finished off by a Shaggoth trampling him. Other than that the only magic I cast was the debuff spell that lowers enemy morale and damage. By the time he got sent into the melee himself the Slayers were mostly dead and all were down to about 3 men.

A Lore of Fire Sorcerer would probably have done more since they get much better anti-infantry spells, but then they can't snipe to save their lives so I never really bothered with them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 14, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »

My favorite army is Sigvald Suneater and 19 units of Chosen with great weapons.

I consider Slayers to be a pretty worthless unit due to their complete lack of armour (they die to everything super fast). However, when I was fighting against Timferius, he had one unit of Slayers and these guys were chopping my Hexwraiths into tiny little ethereal pieces. I thought the Hexwraiths would clean them up completely due to Slayers having no magic damage but nope.

Yeah, slayers are pretty much berserk suicide dorfs, so...

From what I played with them in a short attempt at the dwarfs, it seems to me that they're the kind of unit you take if you know the enemy's gonna packing monsters. Pretty useless against the humies (or other dorfs), though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:43 pm »

By the way, here's a Reddit post detailing all the Slayers vs monsters matchups: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4nwk4o/all_slayer_matchups_1v1/

Again, I was really surprised that they almost killed my Hexwraiths. As far as I'm aware they don't get any bonuses against them and honestly it should have been a matchup in which they've have been destroyed.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:37 pm »

Would Hexwraiths have much armour and health besides the ethereal statistic?

I use slayers to counter things like trolls. They're not something I tend to take in most armies but going against the norse tribes they're more useful. Otherwise I would take ironbreakers or hammerers.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 15, 2016, 12:08:29 am »

Would Hexwraiths have much armour and health besides the ethereal statistic?

I use slayers to counter things like trolls. They're not something I tend to take in most armies but going against the norse tribes they're more useful. Otherwise I would take ironbreakers or hammerers.
Hexwraiths have pretty worthless stats besides the ethereal statistic. Just like the banshee and cairn wraiths. Their HP is also really low and they have no armour.

I figured out why. I thought Slayers were anti-monster but they're just anti-large... same as spears. So they actually make pretty good anti-cavalry troops as well.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 15, 2016, 12:22:31 am »

You'd think- but they really cannot tank a charge.
You're better off letting the cavalry charge the quarrellers or whatnot, and then pinning them in place with Slayers.

In other news: (gee, this thread dead already?)
Is it hardcoded for the greenskin clans to confederate when chaos rides?
Playing VC and trying to keep the bloody spears in the pocket as my dorf-dwelling friend-faction, but their self-confidence is bloody awful. I end up helping them take much of Zhufbar and Karak Kadrin, but then they go and join up with the game-start-at-war faction.

Not sure what I can do short of sending an army downriver to try and nix a greenskin army or two, but that's a whole other kettle of fish 'cos the top knots have gotten pretty rowdy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:01:54 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 17, 2016, 12:24:13 pm »

I propose a challenge, to any who will accept it (and post an LP of it here):

Complete a hero-only run.

Rules:
1. If you ever get given any units that aren't heroes, you must immediately disband them.
2. You cannot produce any units that aren't heroes.
Exceptions to rules 1 & 2: You may recruit or receive non-hero units if they are required for a quest, but you cannot use them in any battles (reload a previous save file if you do) or intimidate the AI with them, and must disband them immediately after they are no longer needed for quests. Your vassals and your AI controlled Waaagh armies ARE allowed to have and produce non-hero units, and can use them in battle as they normally would.
3. Garrisons, confederation, embedding your heroes into an army made up entirely of heroes, and creating vassals are all allowed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:04:11 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 17, 2016, 12:25:17 pm »

Are Greenskin Waaghs AI controlled? I haven't played as them yet.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 17, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »

Are Greenskin Waaghs AI controlled? I haven't played as them yet.
Yes, but you can give them war coordination targets like you can with allies.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 17, 2016, 12:29:03 pm »

Rules:
1. If you ever get given any units that aren't heroes, you must immediately disband them.
Exceptions to rules 1 & 2: You may recruit or receive non-hero units if they are required for a quest, but you cannot use them in any battles (reload a previous save file if you do) or intimidate the AI with them, and must disband them immediately after they are no longer needed for quests. Your vassals ARE allowed to have and produce  non-hero units, and can use them in battle as they normally would.
3. Garrisons, confederation, embedding your heroes into an army made up entirely of heroes, and creating vassals are all allowed.
Super easy on normal. Impossible on Legendary. The enemy lords will three shot you on Legendary while you plunk away at them. On normal you could beat the entire game with just Karl Franz.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 17, 2016, 01:03:23 pm »

Rules:
Exceptions to rules 1 & 2: You may recruit or receive non-hero units if they are required for a quest, but you cannot use them in any battles (reload a previous save file if you do) or intimidate the AI with them, and must disband them immediately after they are no longer needed for quests. Your vassals ARE allowed to have and produce  non-hero units, and can use them in battle as they normally would.
Super easy on normal. Impossible on Legendary. The enemy lords will three shot you on Legendary while you plunk away at them. On normal you could beat the entire game with just Karl Franz.
But if you never fight an offensive battle, their lord superiority isn't as important...

Plus, you could just assassinate potentially troubling lords outside of combat.

Basically, the point of the challenge is to try to fight almost no battles directly, and instead abusing public order penalties (and the rebellions that they cause), vassals, confederation, and diplomacy to win.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:25:57 pm by ATHATH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:52 pm »

Hrm. Maybe with a mod that removes the limits on amount of heroes you can field? Possibly lower the cost or upkeep on 'em, too. I'm sure most enemy lords won't be much of a problem if you walk in with twenty offensive spellcasters and delete them instantly :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 277