Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507426 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1020 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »

The thing is, if Monsteres would tear trough multiple squads with no issues, there would be very little reason to not just build stacks made entirely of them. Spearmen and Halberdiers kill Monsters very fast if they actually get to engage them properly. Swordsmen, Boyz, or just "normal" Warriors in general tend to have a hard time against them tough. And I think that's fine. If you'd rather have thema t higher health at the end of battle, tie most stuff up with infantry up first. Monst monstrous units wreck havoc pretty decently as long as their supported and the enemy does not get to focus them down. Ia ctually like it that way. It motivates you to try some actual hit and run tactics with stuff like Vargulfs or Giants.

My bigger problem with flying Units and flying mounts is the fact that they are ridicolously weak to direct projectile magic. You can kill a Chaos Dragon with 3 casts of Fireball. I have yet to see one in actual fights. They allways die a good distance away from combat before they get to do anything.

Azhag on Skullmuncha and Karl on Deathclaw are great tough. Franz's Kill power goes up noticeably after he gets his bird. And Azhag... actually sucks completely until he either gets mostly down the yellow tree, gets his Quest Items, or Skullmuncha. One of the first mods I got was that Azhag gets his mount right away, just so I had an actual motivation to actually pick him over Grimgor. ( Especially since the later is way easier to get than Azhag, if you don't start out as them respectively.)

I dunno if it's a Chaos and Vamp problem specifically. I've heard lots of people say the Dragons are an actual downgrade. Especially on Mannfred.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 10, 2016, 01:25:15 pm »

I dunno if it's a Chaos and Vamp problem specifically. I've heard lots of people say the Dragons are an actual downgrade. Especially on Mannfred.
That is the case. I think it's some derpy balancing. There are mods out to fix it, which is what I'd recommend as a stopgap measure. Kinda like the nonsense agent spam shit.

The Chaos dragon is so fragile it actually dies to a handful of goblin archers.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 10, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »

I'm going to try out the custom battles with high tier units like you suggested then Umiman. But right away I can say I wasn't aware that fear gave a leadership debuff, I was aware that my terror causing units were causing people to run away for a short while, but if fear is also doing the same thing (like, once they get out of the fear radius they loose the leadership debuff and suddenly are able to fight again?) that wold certainly explain my routing issue. To be honest, I didn't even know that fear was so wide spread, I figured since it wasn't on the unit cards it was just removed.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:41 pm »

I remember reading someone explaining how fear worked in the game. It was something like; fear lowers the morale of nearby enemy units but only if their morale is low by about half.

Here's the topic. Fear drains a units morale until it reaches a specific level. It's also got the general range of these abilities, though from what the game mentions, Terror only works on the charged unit.

I think the best way to think about it is Fear makes it easier to units to be routed while Terror may actually make units rout.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 11, 2016, 01:35:26 am »

Terror IMO is a different effect which doesn't break them but actually forces them to back off a ways.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 11, 2016, 05:47:26 pm »

Just finished my first WoC campaign. Was a veeery different experience from the VCs. Did basically the whole thing with Kholek, using an army of all Shaggoths and Dragon Ogres once I got them. No other Lord managed to build up an army or survive any real length of time, including Sigvald, the only other LL I unlocked, so Kholek spent a lot of time running around fighting people.

Gave the Greenskins a small fortune to help them kill off the Dwarfs in the south, which proved successful. Killed Bretonnia myself, while it was being ravaged my Mousillon. The Empire took the longest to kill, mostly because I was dancing around the Skaeling and the VCs for much of the game. By the end I had befriended Mousillon and the von Carsteins purely through fighting the Empire and the three of us were tag teaming Empire cities together during the final push.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:25 am »

I found that gorebeast chariots ended up having an incredibly low upkeep cost- cheesily so, and then found they tipped the autoresolve results so much that I could just cruise through the campaign.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 12, 2016, 02:12:52 am »

I saw a comment on that. Something like 7 upkeep with research? I believe I read a comment from Creative Assembly saying it's meant to be like that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 14, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »

Tried out a Legendary difficulty game as Dwarfs and by the rotten teeth of Nagash do I hate playing Dwarfs. Slow, expensive, no monsters, no good Lord sniping abilities and Lords who trundle into battle like a drunken kindergartner.

I've tried all the different campaigns and I think my favorites so far are VCs, WoC, Empire, Greenskins and Dwarfs in that order. Neither Greenskins or Dwarfs suit my preferences at all, Empire is pretty nice but VCs and WoC both really suit my preference for giant monsters and units with unusual abilities.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:12 pm »

I actually preferred dwarfs to empire, but that's probably because I played dwarfs before empire. Having units which can fight 1-1 against orcs is kind of a must, and swordsmen really can't.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 14, 2016, 06:01:16 pm »

I prefer a shock and awe approach, infantry don't feature strongly in my preferred forces unless they're the elite of the elite, generally I use large amounts of cavalry, monstrous infantry and monsters. Smash the enemy general under the force of a huge cavalry charge or the crushing might of a giant or terrorgheist or the soul leaching powers of a wizard then sweep up his demoralized army with all the power I can focus onto them.

Only works with the right heroes, so guys like Sigvald and Kemmler can't do it because they have no mounts and get left behind by their own armies, so when I have such LLs I tend to stick them with an army of elite infantry and some monsters and just try to grind my enemies away.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 14, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »

So who'd win, that army or an army of slayers?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 14, 2016, 07:09:40 pm »

Dunno, I may need to test that now, but I've been told Slayers aren't that great.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 14, 2016, 07:17:59 pm »

Eh. They're skewed in autocorrect, and if I throw them at a giant I don't expect them to live at the end of the game- but I also don't expect the giant to be a problem either.
They go 1-1 with armoured trolls and crypt horrors i think.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 14, 2016, 07:31:57 pm »

I found my favorite race to be Greenskins. Their orcs are really cool looking, love their goblins and being able to use goblins to attack the enemy from behind has proven useful many times. Their monster units are awesome as well. Plus Grimgor Ironhide. My favorite legendary lord in the game. The units aren't really weak compared to vampire units (their units kinda suck. Ethereal units die fast, and no idea still what Black Coach is for. Seems good against hordes of troops, but still a weird unit). Vampire has good flying units however. The vampire flying units pretty own, especially during sieges.

As for Greenskin units, they do have low morale which is a downside. So have to micromanage them to keep sending them back to attack. The morale recovers fast though. Vampires have to deal with crumble though, which is WAY more annoying than the Greenskin morale. Oh and can't forget about giant *** spiders that Greenskins have....best unit in the game :D Overall I just love the Greenskin artstyle.

Second favorite is a toss up between Empire and Warriors of Chaos. On one hand, I love using WoC units in battle, on the other hand, their campaign gets boring fast. Even with a mod that lets them settle, its kinda meh cause everyone hates you (which makes sense, no problem there), but not my type of campaign. Chaos units are my 2nd favorite though. Empire has an awesome campaign, but really, who wants to play humans when you get awesome races? Probably same people who choose human in world of warcraft :P I can see though cause the Empire does have an awesome campaign, with the most boring units...except...karl mother******  franz.

Last are vampire counts. Which is funny, since I thought they'd be by far my favorite race in the game. I like playing their campaign spreading corruption, but I don't like playing battles with them at all. The most fun with them I have is getting flying units and owning everyone in sieges. But I find more fun overall with the others. Mannfred is an epic legendary lord though, my third favorite legendary lord in the game.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:40:22 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 277