Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holes in my roof  (Read 5780 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holes in my roof
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:44:59 pm »

In my fortress, I have dug out a large area directly below the surface. My goal was to create an underground pasture, where I can put my livestock without it being eradicated every time I get sieged.

But when the first siege arrived, some goblins entered my fort. I quickly found out why: There where holes in my roof. I have no idea why, but apparently the goblins use them to climb down into my fortress. After the siege, I darned the holes, but six months later, at the next siege, three new holes where abused for entering my fortress.

Now... why are there holes? Do goblins finally know how to dig/channel? Are those artifacts from trees? I had no collapses on the surface, so that is not an option. Has this happen to anyone else?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Holes in my roof
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:39 pm »

I saw a bug once where if you mine all the roots from under a tree, then cut the tree down, a hole appears underneath the trunk. Is this possibly what happened?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »

Removing trees (either by collapse or by cutting) which have only a floor under them (i.e. you've mined out the area 1 z-level down) sometimes leaves a hole in the floor. Not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but you need to either go 2 z-levels down or use a constructed roof to prevent it.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:59 pm »

Hmm... at least for the extension of that underground pasture, I am quite sure there were no trees above (since I already suspected those evil wooden things to be the root of the problem... or are the roots the root of the problem?). Maybe overlooked one.

I am right when I say that trees don't grow if there is no space for roots, right?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:14 pm »

No, trees will grow just fine with no roots.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:16 pm »

Yeah, trees cause holes now. Pave a road over the roof of your pasture and the wooden buggers will cease to spawn there. Constructed floors work too, but require more resources.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:23 pm »

Spoiler: my solution (click to show/hide)

Channel out the area then floor over it creating an outdoor "room" with a dirt floor.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 12:19:28 am »

That happened to me a few times in .40 as well. Teaches you to keep your underground pastures 2 z-levels down. Those holes in the surface are really hard to see. You can look at the surface, then press < to go up 1 z-level and you'll see the holes.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 02:41:34 am »

Its even more annoying when the holes start appearing over your farms.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 04:31:33 am »

No, it's annoying when a dragon sets above ground area on fire and trees start plummeting down many levels wrecking your workshops, farms and stockpiles and killing your dwarves with cave-ins (tree-ins?).
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:20:35 am »

No, it's annoying when a dragon sets above ground area on fire and trees start plummeting down many levels wrecking your workshops, farms and stockpiles and killing your dwarves with cave-ins (tree-ins?).
That sound very !!annoying!! to me.
Creating the pastures more than one level below the surface is not an option, since there is only one layer of soil. So I guess I will go with the roads to block tree growth. Thanks for the tips!

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 07:30:02 am »

Shoulnd't tree-ins be fixed in one of the last updates? On my last map I didn't have any holes made by tree roots.
But what still could happen afaik is that trees grow through your natural floors

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:24 am »

Trees: King of Beasts in DF2014

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:19 am »

Thank god we dont have ents in DF.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:32 pm »

Thank god we dont have ents in DF.

Bet you could get them in a mod or two.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: [1] 2