Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Dwarf Died nearly Instantly, Foreign Evil Weather?  (Read 2845 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
My Dwarf Died nearly Instantly, Foreign Evil Weather?
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:42:41 pm »

So a dwarf dies without warning, while Im watching him.
  We embarked into an evil mountain biome with sludge rain.  I kept everyone out of it and in the other (5) biomes that were listed as 'wilderness'.  While removing ramps to keep the other dwarves out of the sludge rain, he tried to remove a ramp cover in sludge and then was dead after quick flash of alarm.

I checked his body after confirming there was sludge on the tile he was adjacent to, and this 'Foul Fog' was on him.  WTF?

Im almost positive that there is no local weather called 'foul fog' and am wondering f the game isn't applying Fun for the sake of it.  To repeat, he stood next to some Sludge, died, and now has Fog on him instead of any sludge.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: My Dwarf Died nearly Instantly, Foreign Evil Weather?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:30 pm »

Channel under him and then floor over the body (to avoid possible accidental contamination.) Observe it. If nothing happens, it's probably okay to drop a cat on it to see if it carries any syndromes. If he turns into a husk or something, at least he's contained. I've never seen this happen before, but it seems pretty suspicious.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:13:53 pm »

Sure, its done.  I can science.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »

Does evil rain cause 'fog', 'mist', or 'splash'?

A couple other guys went into the sludge face first and promptly died.  But another just walked through it to get to the brook with no issue.  It is not raining currently.
It would be neato if rain could be inhaled.
PKs DF Mod!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:28 am »

I've never seen evil rain do anything outside of the vertical column in which its falling, but the material might be dust or slime that can stick to things?

I haven't researched save file format in a while, but if you decompress the save, the rain material will be in plaintext.

In 34.11, rain didn't create any thralling symptoms, that was reserved for evil clouds.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:39:34 am »

Ive had evil biomes with two weather effects before. Not sure what causes it or why. I say its fog that killed him and you got two.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:39:10 am »

Well, I've got another dwarf, showing odd symptoms.  She has sludge on her arm, and no fog on her.  The fog definitely did the others in, but why or how it got on them is unknown.

Looking at her emotions, yoyu can see she was caught in the rain of sludge.  How, when, or why I don't know, but it causes severe blistering.  I'm guessing it'll either put her down for a nap or kill her.  I'm not making a hospital before I know.

-So, the fog is present, and is applied by the evil region.  It isn't a 'cloud', but somehow it is there . . .
  -The sludge rains from the skies, but appears the fog is associated with the sludge.
  -The fog kills almost instantly
  -The sludge causes blisters.
  -Ill see what the materials are, I guess, and also see if the sludge proves fatal.  *Its fatal, Im guessing the LB or UB or head gets pulped via blistering.*
Also, under the new combat/damage system, does excessive blistering count for pulping?  That's a scary thought, and you can see her internals are pulping >.<

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:47:28 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:29 am »

I think it might only do that to small parts, like spleens.
Watch closely, her fingers might be declared mangled.
Blistering alone's probably nonlethal, though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:52:16 am »

Its lethal.  How do decompress .sav file?
PKs DF Mod!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:53:07 am »

I have no clue.
I usually find out symptoms by hurling cats at it until it goes away.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »

Hunh.  Apparently you can view it in notepad

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still doesnt explain how or why Im getting both.  I think the foul fog is a glitch, or was overwritten? :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:07:00 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »

Vascular only. Only thing worse is the venom of the giant scorpion which has necrosis on the nerve system as a whole.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »

Meybe you are in two biomes? I had 4 nasty weaters in one fortress so... You're luckly :)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 03:46:50 pm »

Shenanigans!!

He was nowhere near the sludge; he was in fact in my quarry!  So it teleports (which I know I had blood in other embarks that would teleport.
PKs DF Mod!

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 10:03:32 am »

Shenanigans!!

He was nowhere near the sludge; he was in fact in my quarry!  So it teleports (which I know I had blood in other embarks that would teleport.

It's possible for dwarves/animals to spread contaminants if they have said accompaniments on them. So it's not 'teleporting' it's actually being spread by a creature. I have a rain in my game of 'filthy filth' that causes instant localized necrosis to the affected area... Which basically means my dwarves/animals/wildlife rot instantly.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: [1] 2