Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Wizard Chat  (Read 11963 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Wizard Chat
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:40 pm »

An interesting discussion, but I think Lord Dragonsoul is a bit quick to dismiss staves completely. Sure, a staff can't match a wand for sheer precision, and there is the unfortunate situation of some unscrupulous implement salesmen selling novice mages flashy-but-mostly useless staves, but I think we can all agree that a properly-built staff is hard to beat for pure power.

That said, like Aidin Langford in the comments, I myself am more partial to a Magelock Pistol and Runic Bullets, since it approaches the power of a staff, and you don't need to worry about precision since you already handled that when you made the Runic Bullets (unless you're one of those "wizards" who just goes out and buys their bullets). Also, it has the added advantage of working in dead-magic zones.

Also, since the linked episode was on fashion, and it was oddly enough not brought up, I was wondering if I could people's opinion on robes.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:34:32 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Chat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:30 am »

Personally, I find nothing quite beats a well-forged Runeblade. If you enchant it yourself, you can be sure that it won't turn on you, and the blood requirements are easily met with normal groceries, so long as you bleed your meat yourself. A little messy, to be sure, but a small price to pay for such an elegant device.

I find that robes are more useful as formal wear and when in large groups, to facilitate teamwork when ease of movement is not at issue. At other times, I prefer a more casual set of clothing; Griffonweave jackets, for example, are both classy and comfortable, and I never leave home without a hat capable of storing at least 5 cubic meters within it's pocket dimension.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:09:10 am »

Robes are perfect for about anything. They are an amazing article(s) of clothing. If one has not noticed I usualy describe my Prince of doom as wearing robes. They are comply, breathable, and allow quite a bit of movement

Also PTW
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:13:14 am »

Robes are good, yes, but one must never forget proper headwear either. My hat has gotten me out of more situations than I can count!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 12:15:45 am »

I'm not quite a 'wizardly' fellow so I know not the importance of your hats. What is their purpose besides a fashion statement?
To note I usualy wear a cloak with my robes, no need for head wear here.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:18:15 am »

I'm not quite a 'wizardly' fellow so I know not the importance of your hats. What is their purpose besides a fashion statement?
To note I usualy wear a cloak with my robes, no need for head wear here.
Are you kidding me? A hat can be incredibly useful! Just enchant it with a Bigger on the Inside charm, and bam! As much storage as you want. Can't do that with a cloak.
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:20:42 am »

Yes it can and so can my robes, pockets upon pockets upon pockets!
And wouldn't it be a bit of a hassle to take your hat off and search for it if it could just be in a cloak pocket?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:06 am »

I'm not a big fan of robes, personally. They're too flappy and loose; when a guy like me is working around heavy machinery, that spells (no pun intended) trouble.
I prefer to enchant my own clothing to suit my needs, or visit specialty stores if I need something that looks like an ordinary pair of cargo pants but is actually made of wyvernhide. Same deal with hats.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:22:56 am »

Well, I tend to think of my hat as another layer of protection. Sure you can just make due with a robe, but what if whatever enchantment you have on it fails!?!

Thus, my magic hat
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:25:21 am »

I don't think I have a problem of failing.
It would have to be two robes and a cloak's enchantments to fail and I doubt all three would. Even if they did I am a Prince so no need to worry, plenty o' guards anywho, or necromancy beause ya know doomy-ness

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 12:28:50 am »

Personally, I find nothing quite beats a well-forged Runeblade. If you enchant it yourself, you can be sure that it won't turn on you, and the blood requirements are easily met with normal groceries, so long as you bleed your meat yourself. A little messy, to be sure, but a small price to pay for such an elegant device.

I find that robes are more useful as formal wear and when in large groups, to facilitate teamwork when ease of movement is not at issue. At other times, I prefer a more casual set of clothing; Griffonweave jackets, for example, are both classy and comfortable, and I never leave home without a hat capable of storing at least 5 cubic meters within it's pocket dimension.
Ah, yes, Runeblades are indeed quite fantastic. My buddy, Rolin the Vanquisher, wields a Runeblade, and he's quite the sight to behold on the battlefield. Although he does tell me that he quite a bit of difficulty casting long-range spells with it. Any comments on that?

And as for robes, personally I find them a bit old-fashioned. I prefer a duster with protection spells magically woven into its threads. Not only does it save me from harm, it also neatly conceals my Magelock Pistol. I also pair that with a short-topped wide-brimmed hat. My compatriots say I don't even properly look like wizard. I say that's the point; the enemy won't know what to expect from me. I will, however, dig out the old robes and pointy hat when I do need to dress-to-impress.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 12:32:17 am »

Aha! but have you already forgotten bro's? cloaks can protect your eyes, ears, mouth and nose!
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 12:42:56 am »

I've no use for clothes anymore, as a member of the self-inflicted undead. Aye, even for protection. Robes, cloaks, dusters, none of them fit. And a glove is too darned concealing, I can't see where I'm casting, last time I tried that I wound up enchanting a cow and turning it into the king of... some minor nation, I forget where, it's probably not important.

I could always go for a good stave, augment my powers, though they're not suitable for travel. To that end I prefer enchanted gemstones; a hammerspace pocket to store all the staves and wands a wizard could need is a must, and if it's inactive form is a stylish black ring I'm not opposed.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:04 am »

But good sir you are no more than a hand

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 12:49:13 am »

And you are no more than an apprentice. I warn you, I know necromancy! The Dark Arts!

And I have over a thousand staves, wands, and runeblades stashed away in hammerspace just waiting for me to summon them to the material plane!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11