Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: The Art of War: Feudal Lord Simulator: OOC Thread  (Read 39756 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of War: Feudal Lord Simulator: OOC Thread (Sign ups closed!)
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »

Any time limit is fine. I just don't want to wait a week for every update because someone's forgotten to post an action.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »

What Andres said.  It causes an unreasonable delay of the game (as opposed to waiting on the GM, which is quite reasonable, particularly in this case).

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:57 pm »

What Andres said.  It causes an unreasonable delay of the game (as opposed to waiting on the GM, which is quite reasonable, particularly in this case).
I'm indifferent on this. On one hand, we have a faster paced game and this means more active people on bay12 can get more actions in and keep track of things better.

HOWEVER, this does not help people who tend to have "busy periods" as in Canada right now, exams are a thing in the coming days (once again, doesn't pertain to me as I just got back into college). This time limit, especially with so many people, can cause so much stress on them to start with the people hounding them to post. This stress gets added when your turn is skipped and you're deemed inactive so everyone invades you. This moreas is towards rage then stress with the latter, but still is unpleasant. This also adds a time limit for our beloved GM to do stuff. As we know with his problems at home (because who doesn't have RL problems?) he can be delayed. And we all know Mastahcheese is probably one of the hardest working GMs in all the forums, with the Derail Thread, this, Necrothreat, and SOOOOOOOOOO many derail and minigames that he has a hard time working on them to begin with (seriously, we should all send a message to ToadyOne to give him a special mark on his account to give him Forumite of the Year - 2014. His internet was down, his laptop broke and he STILL came on Bay12 for us all).

Anyone familiar with Goblins the webcomic will know how timers can be a MASSIVE stress creator and cause mental breakdowns. So... I'm changing from abstaining from voting to no timer
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:07 pm »

....I agree for no timer. I have internet problems as well.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2015, 10:43:24 pm »

No offense to those that having a timer will effect, but with a game this size that has so many players we can't not have a strict timer for posts otherwise we'll never get anywhere because that'll end with half the players shrugging things off till later until finally the game dies from no one really acting in the game. I personally would quit if mastahcheese (no offense meant to you mastahcheese) doesn't impose some form of time limit, because I know that will never end well ...

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »

....I agree for no timer. I have internet problems as well.
1+

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2015, 10:50:29 pm »

Between the fact that due to people's internet connections and whatnot, and the rather freeform nature of the game, putting in such a timer would be more or less unfeasible. If it wwas more ruigid and strict in regards to actions, sure. But as it stands there's just no way to make it work.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2015, 10:54:13 pm »

Why can't there be a longer limit, like sometime between 3-7 days?

If mastahcheese is so busy on the forums, as well as RL stuff, it wouldn't do well to just overburden him with updating 36 players' actions who don't really know what they're doing just yet.

I'd like the game to be fun for everyone, including the GM, so on that basis I'd rather not have a too short time limit to burn mastahcheese out, but equally so not one that's too long so players don't get bored and leave.

Balance, man, it's all about the balance.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2015, 11:09:28 pm »

I think it's totally reasonable to not wait for players - especially with this number. People could have default actions that mastah can use if they can't make the turn in time.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:51 pm »

Maybe that's what traits are for, to determine how your ai character will act.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2015, 11:35:48 pm »

I think it's totally reasonable to not wait for players - especially with this number. People could have default actions that mastah can use if they can't make the turn in time.

I think with having default actions, it could work...

HOWEVER, this means that they'll have to post a few turns before something happens. I'm still against the timer, but this is a good way to fix things

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:17 pm »

If there is going to be a timer, I would vote for a 72 hour timer at the shortest.
But I'd vote against one instead if that's an option.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:38 pm »

If there is going to be a timer, I would vote for a 72 hour timer at the shortest.
But I'd vote against one instead if that's an option.
Three days does sound feasable, but I think it should be after the third day when the GM first gets on. This means until Mastahcheese gets on, people are warned their turn may be missed and will either cram in time before Mastahcheese gets a chance to notice. This also takes stress of our GM, reminds players who forgot, and people who need time are given it.

I will still go against a timer, but if we have to, I think we can make sure we give people some leeway. After all, no one can blame you for not posting if your laptop breaks or your internet is down and it's those two extra days that make up for it.

On another note, I do hope Mastahcheese is alright. Haven't heard from him all day

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:35 am »

On another note, I do hope Mastahcheese is alright. Haven't heard from him all day
+1
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2015, 12:56:26 am »

Kinda a random question but when you guys were creating your nations, were you inspired by a real life kingdom/empire?
No.
Fictional ones, now...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33