Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You are a suicide scout. Rewritten, feedback needed.  (Read 3826 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a suicide scout (a realistic space RTD) Need Players!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »

Plus, any game that takes time in at any point in the future requires some suspention of disbelief, due to the unpredictable nature of time and events.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »

Even if a human could survive 4 g's. They can't survive the stop. That is like a gazillion miles per hour stop.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:29 pm »

Even if a human could survive 4 g's. They can't survive the stop. That is like a gazillion miles per hour stop.
Slide into the stop. The true issue would be the turns, which, if executed to quickly,  will severely rase the amount of G force exerted on the pilot. Even that, though, is manageable by turning slowly.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:19 pm »

YOU ARE IN SPACE!!! the max g forces you will ever endure is what you engine can thrust (unless you crash into something) turns in space are nothing like what they would be in atmosphere. In space, you can point your ship in any direction and you will just keep moving in the same direction.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »

... Why are these ships manned?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:54:26 pm »

YOU ARE IN SPACE!!! the max g forces you will ever endure is what you engine can thrust (unless you crash into something) turns in space are nothing like what they would be in atmosphere. In space, you can point your ship in any direction and you will just keep moving in the same direction.
Centrifugal force.

Also this.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 10:13:06 pm »

to make this a game (and also to prevent them from being hacked)
Centrifugal force.

Turning your ship in space is nothing like turning and airplane. You need to clear your head of misconceptions. If i was flying my spaceship forward, and I wanted to go sideways, I would have to first turn backwards, then use my engine to stop me moving foreword, then turn sideways, and finally burn sideways. (Or just turn diagonally backwards and do both at the same time)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 10:26:13 pm »

Centrifugal force.

Turning your ship in space is nothing like turning and airplane. You need to clear your head of misconceptions. If i was flying my spaceship forward, and I wanted to go sideways, I would have to first turn backwards, then use my engine to stop me moving foreword, then turn sideways, and finally burn sideways. (Or just turn diagonally backwards and do both at the same time)
If you pulled a Crazy Ivan (or, better yet, just sat there spinning) using RCS and the gyro, you would turn your whole craft into a centrifuge centered on the center of mass. Depending how fast you can get spinning, it might create unsurvivable g-forces, and it would be exerted in the "eyes-out" direction, which is the worst.

Also this.
An unmanned ship would have a speed-of-light delay between commands and execution, which could be fairly significant in combat. Unless you are proposing they be manned by AIs, in which case perhaps AI tech hasn't advanced at nearly the rate of space travelling tech.

Unfortunately I don't have time to join the game right now, but I'll post to watch and argue about science and maybe play once finals are over.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 10:27:24 pm »

Centrifugal force.

I know how space works. You appear to not understand what I mean.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 10:48:03 pm »

Do you mean this

If you pulled a Crazy Ivan (or, better yet, just sat there spinning) using RCS and the gyro, you would turn your whole craft into a centrifuge centered on the center of mass. Depending how fast you can get spinning, it might create unsurvivable g-forces, and it would be exerted in the "eyes-out" direction, which is the worst.

If it is, why would you do that?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:20 pm »

Do you mean this

If it is, why would you do that?
Crazy Ivans could be used as a missile shaking maneuver, but I dunno why you'd want to sit there spinning.

EDIT: Wait! I just had the best idea ever! You could purposely overload your reactor core, then start spinning in place really fast, then decouple the reactor, using the momentum of your spinning ship like a catapult or sling to fling it at the enemy craft, causing large amounts of damage with a nuclear explosion!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:05:13 pm by ShadowHammer »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 11:11:30 pm »

That would actually work. Even better is if you decouple so you fly back to your ship, and your reactor heads towards the enemy ship!! (since both parts would fly off at about the same speed: Newtons third law)

This game would be so fun if people actually signed up!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 12:32:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 02:58:06 pm »

You are in, but I'm not sure if enough people will want to play this.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 11:27:40 pm »

Name: Constantine Isherch.
Faction: Uranits
Description: Average build, 5'8 tall, white hair with a tattoo of a wolf on his chest.
Home Planet: Everisia, a planet with terrible winters. It was colonized due to it's abundance in metals and a hot core.
Name of your ship: The Last Star
Background: Not much is known about him as he rarely speaks.
Reason for signing up: He, and family, was offered passage off of his home planet if he enlisted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4