Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: You are a suicide scout. Rewritten, feedback needed.  (Read 3828 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
You are a suicide scout. Rewritten, feedback needed.
« on: January 12, 2015, 01:54:14 am »

See the new rewrite here.

The year is 4824. I'll give you a brief summary of human expansion. Humans have been colonizing the milky way galaxy ever since the first colony was established on Renewed Hope in the year 2145. Before this, almost all of the iron within the solar system had been used, in a desperate attempt, a ramshackle colonizing ship was sent to Alpha Centauri B, the closest star to Sol. The planet they landed on was like a godsend. Renewed hope was an iron-rich planet orbiting Alpha Centauri Bl. It was just what humanity needed. When the first shipment of Giga-tonnes of iron reached the solar system, humanity wasted no time in sending thousands of colonizing ships to other nearby stars. Humanity flourished. However, in the year 3735, tensions among the two main factions, the earth-based Uranites and the Renewed Hope-based Mercinians erupted into civil wars, the independent governments of all the colonies scrambled to join the stronghold that promised the most resources. Although more joined the Uranites, the abundance of resources in the Mercinian dominion balanced the scales. The civil war lasted more then a millennial and the Uranites had all but ran out of resources. One final fleet, stronger that all others in history was sent to destroy the Mercinians at their source, New Hope. However, the fleet was intercepted a mere .02 light years from Alpha Centauri, after the fleet had already begun decelerating. A massive battle was inevitable, and it would decide the outcome of the war. If the Uranites win, New Hope will be destroyed. If the Mercinians win, the Uranites, now lacking resources, will be powerless to stop any counterattack.

You are a part of this battle.

There are two battleships at a standoff. The Uranite Space Ship (USS) Tritium, and the Mercinian Space Ship (MSS) Cesium. They have already masked their heat with countermeasures and have their capacitors filled. At the captains command, the 2 Supermassive Heat Lasers (SHL) the ships wield will inflict their catastrophic damage on the other, most likely winning the standoff. The only problem is, they don't know where the other ship is. The only passive  scanner that would be able to pick them up, the infrared scanner, is useless due to the countermeasure screens the ships put up. And nobody is stupid enough to use an active scanner. Someone has to find the other ship.

That's where you come in.

You are a scout. You fly a tiny scout ship. Your job is to head in the direction that the enemy ship is, and get behind the countermeasures to find the ship, then fly to it and send exact coordinates of the other ships SHLs to your battleship, so it can disable the enemy SHL's and win the battle. However, the chance of the enemy detection is very high once you get behind the enemy countermeasure field, and is guaranteed once you send the coordinates. Your scout ship is no match for the enemy's anti-scout fighters which will no doubt be patrolling. If a few Gauss projectiles hit your ship, your life is almost certainly forfeit. The brigade known by almost everyone as the suicide scouts for good reason. However, the pay is good.

Here is what your ship looks like.
Spoiler: Your Ship (click to show/hide)

These are your systems, what they do, and what happens if they are destroyed.
Spoiler: Ship Systems (click to show/hide)

Enemy resistance:
Spoiler: adversaries (click to show/hide)
Signing up:
Please post if you want to sign up as a suicide scout.

Name:
Faction: (Uranits or Mercinian)
Description: (what do you look like)
Home Planet:
Name of your ship:
Background:
Reason for signing up:

Playing the game:
This is a RTD where you post what you want to do, and I roll to determine  how successful you were. I also roll for: hit chances, damage resistance, and any other event that seems fit. The results are according to this list.
1: epic fail (something else usually goes wrong)
2: complete fail
3: Partial success.
4: Mostly Successful
5: Completely Successful
6: Epic Success (something else goes right as well
Your goal is to transmit the location of the other ship back to yours, and if possible, get back to your ship. The team that finds the location first is the winner.
This is going to be as realistic as possible. You will have to clear your head of misconceptions. Mainly, space battles will be at really big distances, the two battleships will be about 5,000,000 kilometers (at that disance, it will take the lasers 5 seconds to hit the other ship. The distance you will need to be to find the location of the SHLs is about 200,000 kilometers. (You will have about .8 seconds to dodge any laser fire from the enemy battleship)

Players:

Uranites:
Spoiler: Vin Cortis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Constantine Isherch. (click to show/hide)
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]

Mercinians:
Spoiler: Jarlak Fredrick (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zeron Sarcoff (click to show/hide)
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]

Please sign up, thank you!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:17:30 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a suicide scout (a realistic space RTD) Need Players!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:56 am »

reserve post
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »

I AM a suicide scout.

Name: Jarlak Fredrick.
Faction: Mercinian.
Description: extremely small, 5'2", well tanned, brown hair with beard, green eyes.
Home Planet: Elsmurn. a recent colony created for the extraction of lead from the planet's core. The restrictions the Uranites placed on trade made Elsmurn join the Mercinians.
Name of ship: the Basilisk.
Background: I came from a middle-class family who worked for a lead processing plant on Elsmurn. My mother died of an equipment malfunction when I was only 4 years (earth-years) old. I was born into the civil war hating the Uranites and entered military training when I was 16, the minimum age on Elsmurn.
Reason for signing up: I was taught that the Uranites were to blame for all the troubles. So I naturally blamed them for my mother's death. I enlisted to avenge her death, and I chose the scouts because they payed the best. This is my first experience in a true battle.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:05:29 pm by germanyfrance »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »

Okay, you're in. Several more slots available!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »

Name:Vin Cortis
Faction: Uranits
Description: Six feet in height, and average build, but has a barely visible scar down his arm from an unfortunate accident from his childhood.
Home Planet: Carsack, a long established dictatorship world, barely allowed to stay as such thanks to constant tributes of iron ore to Uranian planets nearby
Name of your ship: the Fearless Pollo
Background:
Reason for signing up: Taught supreme nationality. . . . Plus, it was either service in the military, or the death penalty for sleeping with the Wife of the Governor. Note to self, never mess with an influentials mans wife.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »

You're in, 10 more slots available. (probably won't need that many)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:38:54 pm by origamiscienceguy »

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »

Just wondering, what is the top speed of my ship compared to the anti-scout fighters?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »

Just wondering, what is the top speed of my ship compared to the anti-scout fighters?
You are in space. For all practical purposes, there is no top speed of either ship. However, the anti-ship fighters have a higher acceleration than you, meaning you can't outrun them. (unless you manage to shoot of their engine and/or radiators
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:56:46 pm by origamiscienceguy »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:27:17 am »

Well, since questions are starting.about the game, how. . . . Umm. . . . Long, time wise, are turns, since that may make a major factor.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:35:17 am »

one turn is about 5 minutes. A damaged reactor will explode after one turn.  I mentioned the one second dodge time of lasers just to point out how difficult they'd be to dodge. (if a longer or shorter turn time is necessary, that can be flexible)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:37:52 am by origamiscienceguy »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:47 am »

Um... You do realize the distances involved right?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:20 am »

Um... You do realize the distances involved right?
For 5 minutes. . . . I dont know, about the distance of venus to our sun. Thats a really hard target to hit.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:42:07 am »

lasers travel at lightspeed. Ships in space can travel really fast as well, since the scouts have 4g's of acceleration, it would take them 30ish minutes to reach the other ship under constant acceleration.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »

You do realize how powerful an engine needs to be to provide even 1g right?

Not to mention the pilots likely would die after accelerating and decelerating.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 02:58:00 pm »

4 g's is the max acceleration. A human can easily survive that for as long as they need to. (might be a bit uncomfortable though.) As for the engines, it is 2000 years in the future, I am sure an engine running on nuclear fusion can provide 4 g's of acceleration to that tiny ship.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4