Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You are a suicide scout. Rewritten, feedback needed.  (Read 3822 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a suicide scout (a realistic space RTD) Need Players!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 12:31:23 am »

You are signed up. I think that with one more enlistment for each team, that would be enough players. Some more players would be able to join afterwards and have late starts.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 12:42:30 am »

This might be science fiction future stuff, but please, for the love of the future of this game, less science, more fiction.
AKA PTW.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

Bump, because, you know, apparently it got buried. Let me know if I shouldn't bump again.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 09:30:23 pm »

I am not sure, considering the fact that there is interest,  but not enough willing participants to even start the game.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:03 am »

I'll join, writing a sheet up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There we go.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:01:49 am by Donuts »
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Spoiler: Owen (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 03:01:17 pm »

Oh, people actually signed up!

Unfortunanly, I was planning on this being a winter break game, and school has started to kill all my free time.

I might revive this is summer and try again though.

Sorry everybody.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »

Its coal. But, i personally would recommend starting a game that can run once a week, min. That allows time for things to get in the way, and you to let us know that it happens, while not being a potential irritation to your players. Also, try to think of a concept that fits with your school scedual, considering the fact that most running games, when done well, will last nearly a year. I say that because all games that I know of, that had an official ending, ended 6 months or more after it started, updating roughly once or twice a week.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »

I will keep an eye out for the revival. XD

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 01:06:22 am »

sorry, I didn't mean to post here. I just accidently clicked Post
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:10:22 am by origamiscienceguy »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a suicide scout. Canceled for now.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »

You ARE a Suicide Scout

Spoiler: backstory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: situation (click to show/hide)
You are a suicide scout. The corps is officially referred to as the Battleship reconnaissance force, but nobody calls it that. You fly a tiny scout ship. Your job is to head in the direction that the enemy battleship is, find the battleship, then, send the coordinates of the enemy battleship to your battleship, so it can disable the enemy weapons and win the battle. However, the enemy will attack you the second you send the coordinates. Your scout ship is no match for the enemy's anti-scout turrets which will no doubt be stationed around the battleship, and the enemy’s scouts can hurt you just as much as you hurt them. If a few Gauss projectiles hit your ship, your life is almost certainly forfeit. The brigade known by almost everyone as the suicide scouts for good reason.

Spoiler: Ship Systems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bonus System (click to show/hide)

Startup and Map Information
This battle takes place on a 15x11x11 grid (Yes, space is 3d)
This is what the map will look like to you.
Spoiler: Starting Map (click to show/hide)
Each tile on the grid represents a square.
The numbers in the squares are the numbers of heat signatures detected. The enemy battleship is one of the numbers. It is more likely to be one of the six in the very middle, but it could be hiding in one of the ones. The starting location will be randomized.
The grey areas are possible starting locations for scouts. Your starting location is completely randomize as well.
Each tile you enter has a chance of having an anti-scout turret spot you. This chance increases the closer you are to the battleship, but the exact chance is not given.
The goal is to get your ship into the same square as the enemy battleship is in. The first player to do that wins the game for his or her team.
Each player also receives a score. The player with the highest score at the end of the game is the single winner. The points are as follows.
Spoiler: points system (click to show/hide)
Your Turn
The teams alternate turns. All members of the same team can post at the same time.
When you post your turn please show me:
Your power and Heat generation.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
Your Power usage and heat distribution
Your direction you want to point and acc. you want.
The max amount of acc of acceleration depends on the amount of power you put in your engine. Using the above example, this person has a max of 2 acc He could select 0, 1, or 2 acc. 
For each g of acceleration, you gain 6,000 m/s of velocity in the direction you were pointing. This equates to one “square per turn.” You can keep one direction of movement and add to it, slow yourself down, or keep drifting in that direction and start moving in another direction as well to move diagonally.
For my sanity’s sake, the only directions you can point are:
Spoiler: Available Directions (click to show/hide)
Firing weapons
You can only shoot a ship that is in the same tile as you are.
To be able to fire weapons, you must have sufficient power to operate the weapon(s) and the rotation mechanism (either the Reaction wheels or RCS fuel)
To shoot at them, you must:
Specify which ship you are aiming at if there are multiple.
Say which area on the ship’s grid you would like to target. Say either a letter or number. The shot will come from that side. You can also place a negative in front of the letter or number if you want the shot to come from the other side.
Your hit chances are based on a few dice rolls.
Spoiler: hit chances (click to show/hide)
The resulting damage will destroy the system it hits. If another shot is fired on the same spot, it will ignore that system and penetrate deeper until hits hits the next system. Weapon Superchargers, however, will penetrate 2 systems, destroying the top one, and the one underneath.

Optional RPG element If you wish, you can talk to your electronic diary during this battle, to give yourself some character.
My Turn
After all players have submitted their turn, I will present the result of the actions.
At the beginning, there will be a map showing where all players were before their actions.
Then, for each player, I will:
 show their actions.
Give their resulting speed in each dimension and the direction that they are pointing
I will show the results of their shots against enemies, and shots from enemies that they took.
I will then give a diagram of you ship with damages taken into account.
I will also give you the current points the player gained and now has.
Finally, I will update your current electronic diary.
I will do this for every player.

Finally, I will show the new map with the location of all the players now,
The locations that have been explored by scouts,
The total scoreboard of points,
and the list of players still alive and the ones that are dead.

End of Game
After a player has located the enemy battleship, both battleships will become revealed and the remaining players must get back to their battleship to end the game.
The game will end on three conditions.
1. One member of a team locates the enemy battleship and all living players with able ships return to their battleship.
2. One team loses all scouts.
3. The only living scouts are still, but unable to change velocity.

General Rules
These are some general rules intended to keep this game moving along and prevent the thread from being deleted.
1. Post your turn withing 48 hours of the beginning of the turn. Weekends count as 0 hours. If a player does not post in the time allotted, their ship will be defaulted to only the fission generator running and life support and idle engine powered. A replacement request will also be sent out. If a player fails to post for 2 turns in a row, they will be modkilled UNLESS a replacement is found.
2. No vulgar content. Please.
3. Try to keep the thread content based only. If you have a question, PM me and, if i feel that the whole group needs to know it, I’ll put a post with your quote and my answer.
4. More rules as needed.

Singing Up
To sign up, first say the battleship reconnaissance force pledge of allegiance.
“I am a suicide scout”
Then, fill out the application form.

Name: (First Name, Last Name eg. Ambrosino Zito)
Faction: (Urinites or Mercinians eg. Mercinians)
Color: (The color square you will appear on the map. Uranites are Warm Colors and Mercinians are Cool Colors eg. Indigo)
Bonus System Choice: (eg: Weapons Supercharger)
Ship Name: (eg. The Basilisk)
Home Planet: (eg. Kermarion B)
Physical Description: (eg. Tall, Handsome, blue eyes, blonde hair, european descendance)
Backstory: (Grown Up on a totalitarian Planet dependent on constant shipments of iron and other minerals from the New Hope area. Taught to hate Uranites as a result.)
Reason for becoming a Suicide Scout: (Wanted to kick some Uranite butt and this was the highest paying job that didn't require extensive schooling.

Current Game Status
Players:

Uranites:
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]

Mercinians:
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]
[Available]

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:14:53 pm by origamiscienceguy »

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a suicide scout. Rewritten, feedback needed.
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:23 pm »

Oh, wow, that sounds much more fun. Can I have a spot reserved for when you start this up again?

Question: Is the goal to find the battleship, or to kill lot's of scouts?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »

Find the battleship and tell the battleship.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »

You are trying to get the most points. You can do that by trying to find the battleship: 100 points. Or killing several scounts: 30 points each.

Once you occupy the same square as the enemy battleship, you "send" the information back. From that point on, though, every square in enemy territory will have a turret targeting you.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:46 pm »

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm loving the impressive complexity. I'd also like to join. Do you want us submitting character sheets now, or later?

For feedback, I don't think you should lose 20 points for using the decoupler, just for the systems lost by doing so. Just a suggestion, though; I think it's good either way.
Also, for shooting, do we have to actually have a shot at the side of the enemy ship your shooting at? ie, if they are facing up, and you are below them, can you only shoot from the back? Or do the projectiles magicurve to strike from any direction?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4