Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Salt & Sanctuary  (Read 5008 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Salt & Sanctuary
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:28 pm »

2D Souls-like game by Ska Studios (remember them?).  It looks pretty neato.

Stuff to take note of:

Death mechanic changes.  If you die due to falling off of shit, your Souls-equivalent (Salt) get picked up by a bird, and you have to murder that bird to get it back.  If you die to an enemy, that enemy picks it up, and gets turbocharged.  Have fun!

Skill tree and stuff.  As I understand, merchants are on that tree, not unlocked via play like in Souls-likes.

Salt is basically xp - as in, it exists alongside more traditional gold with which to buy gear with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkHA-W8KFA - The aforementioned VaatiVidya vid.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Salt & Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:14:58 pm »

... checked video. Couldn't finish it. That is some of the most terrible graphics design I have ever seen in the entirety of my gaming career :-\

Everything is jumbled together barely differentiated mud. Looking at it physically hurt ;_;

Like, I have a mild headache now from trying to make sense of that mess. Blergh.

Best of luck to them, but that looks entirely unplayable to me. Neat premise, even, but... no.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »

Looks interesting, but I agree with Frumple, graphics design is bleh.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 11:36:03 pm »

If it's just a 2 person dev team I can kinda understand why they went with a 2d game instead of a 3d one. If you watch the whole video through it seems things become a bit more distinct than in the earlier parts of the video, but it's still basically just grey everywhere.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:28:45 am »

Yeah, it's not even remotely the 2D that's the problem. I love me some 2D. It's just... the colors. Mostly. They're basically all the same bloody color. Shade. Whatever. Not enough contrast or differentiation or something. Mud slurry of gods-I-can't-tell-what-the-blue-hell-is-happening :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:24:39 am »

Have they got some kind of motion blur going on over the entire screen when the PC moves?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:18:04 am »

I think they were trying to go with a dull look to make the world appear foreboding and lifeless, but they ended up with the unfortunate side-effect of it being really hard to see things.

That aside, I really like how the blood goes all over the walls as you kill things. Looks satisfying.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:48 am »

i like the idea that when you die to an enemy they get stronger the next time you meet them. mario+souls+morodor?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:06 am »

i like the idea that when you die to an enemy they get stronger the next time you meet them. mario+souls+morodor?

That sounds like a good way to make the game unbeatable...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »

Well, there has to be some punishment to the player for failing. Traditionally it's losing progress or even items, but I feel like some games are trying to get away from that tradition, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I do agree they should be careful, though. Unless they allow the player to progress in multiple ways (running away being one of them!) then allowing bosses to get stronger repeatedly from killing you would probably lead to them becoming an impossible fight, yeah.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:33:26 pm »

Well, there has to be some punishment to the player for failing. Traditionally it's losing progress or even items, but I feel like some games are trying to get away from that tradition, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I do agree they should be careful, though. Unless they allow the player to progress in multiple ways (running away being one of them!) then allowing bosses to get stronger repeatedly from killing you would probably lead to them becoming an impossible fight, yeah.
I believe it only works on base monsters, not bosses. That is what it seemed to be in his video.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »

Remember that 'game I wish existed' I posted into that thread? Well, this seems like it, although the art style isn't my fave.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:43:30 pm »

I kinda like the art, thats just me though
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 07:38:21 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the character design, and the player and enemies definitely need to pop-out more from the background. The blur was distracting and contributed to the indistinctness. Otherwise, the art style seems fine to me. It conveys the mood decently and there are a lot of nice details scattered around. Some more colour variation certainly wouldn't hurt though.

I'm also not too keen on the whole "You'd better learn to roll through this one attack or else you'll be fucked in a corner" aspect of the boss fights.

Besides that the game shows promise. I'm wary of anything that bills itself as a "Souls-like" but it seems like it might fit in this case. We'll have to wait and see.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:30:30 pm »

I'm taking this with a grain of salt (heh) because the main selling point of their game seem to be "look at that other game! It didn't really feel like a souls game... But our game sure does! A 2d souls game yea! Look at our souls-eske mechanics and souls series feel and souls series look and etc". The game seems fine, but they seem to have kinda messed up on the colour scheme. I get that they're trying to convey a darker look, but there's a difference between "dark" and "everything is gray and brown".
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2 3