Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharing the load  (Read 2143 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sharing the load
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:10:18 pm »

Dwarves love to work, we know, but the taverns and time off being better spent made me think of something.

What if we can reduce the workload for dwarves by having them share it? What I mean is say we have 3 wood burners and 3 wood furnaces. We could have 6 wood burners so that each dwarf would get more free time and they would share the work. There would be some system to count how much time each dwarf worked and try to even it out.

This would suck on DF as it is now because having too many dwarves causes FPS drop but I'd like to see it implemented eventually.

Otherwise you're gonna have the usual 30+ idlers taking full advantage of the inns, dancing, music and so on and all the workers only having occasional breaks.

As for legendary dwarves, it would suck if we got lower quality stuff because the inferior dwarves have to work as many hours as they do. But in a fortress realistically you'd need to have apprentices to take over after the master dies. Maybe something can be worked out.

thgntlmnfrmtrlfmdr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing the load
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »

It would also be nice if multiple dwarves would work together to carry heavy objects with a faster movement speed.
Sid Meier's Tarn Adam's Dwarf Fortress: Civilization
Armok : Total (D)War(f)
Urista Universalis

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:07 pm »

It'll work well when all buildings are either furniture or rooms/zones - bigger workshops can have more dwarves.

I've suggested a way to make this work for manufacturing elsewhere - have production of many objects broken down by the game into a series of steps (design, cutting, shaping, assembly and finishing, maybe, depending on the object) - that's not to say you'd have to queue up "shape wooden chairlegs" or whatever, just that when you told a workshop to build a wooden chair the game would (behind the scenes) order it up as the various relevent steps. If you ordered multiple chairs you could have a number of dwarves in a given workshop working on different stages of them at the same time; some stages may be quicker than others (letting the dyed cloth dry ought to take a while but not need much supervision), and mechanical tools may be usable here and there to make things faster or easier (a carpenters' shop with a powered +large serrated steel disc+ could drastically reduce the number of dwarves employed in shaping wood, for instance, but you'd still need the same number of them on assembly and finishing).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »

That's a good idea too and any work done in any workshop would be better if supervised by a legendary dwarf, even if he wasn't there for all the steps.