Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protecting Woodcutters from Werebeasts  (Read 836 times)

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Protecting Woodcutters from Werebeasts
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:14:52 am »

Hey everybody

in my current game I embarked in a savage area. Everything is going well so far infrastructure and defenses are going fine starting up military with full Bronze Armor sets and Silver War Hammers and rest of defenses are fine.

Yet I have not dug in to caverns yet and I want some outside wood and plants to gather. Unfortunately that just got my wood cutter killed. He was only 10 tiles away from a door to safety where my defenses and defenders were. I assigned him to an inside burrow to try to get him to safety.

But there came a Werehyena and it was so fast that he had no chance to go there in time. First attack ripped out his throat and he died :)

Any idea how to defend outside workers or get them inside sooner? And I don't mean walling in the whole map I don't like that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting Woodcutters from Werebeasts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:23:57 am »

Make military station next to your woodcutter.

Assign war dogs to the woodcutter. (<= the easiest solution, I believe)

Wall a small part of your outside map. A moat always helps as well.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:40 am »

Well it depends how large of an area you want to secure, you can build lookout towers with crossbow dwarves in them around the areas your woodcutters most frequently walk through/work in.
You can have your militia patrol through the woods, you can wall an area in, build a moat, wall part of it in and have traps in the gaps of the walls. You have a lot of possibilities.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:30:46 am »

Yeah, but werebeasts are random.
For me, I usually station a squad or two near the workers (plant gathering, hauling).
You can move your logs inside as soon as possible so random carpenters don't go outside to fetch them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:48 am »

The only good defense against werebeasts is not to be near where they are without a good wall in between (preferrably decked over to protect against climbing). However, if you would be prepared for the micro management, you could have your militia constantly reposted to be near the single outdoor worker, but that is likely to get some militia killed and others to get infected by lycanthropy. Another option would be to assign a pair of war trained dogs to each outdoor worker. An attack would likely result in a couple of dead dogs, but they might buy their charge the time needed to escape to safety.
A third option is hunting dogs postings dotting the map to detect werebeasts and draw their attacks. If you put them in 3*3 houses (i.e. single tile inside) with a door and the walls modified to fortifications, the werecreature would spend time destroying the door to get at the dog, you would then get additional time to get your dorfs into safety. If you're really lucky the morning would come before the door is completely destroyed.
Various traps relying on the weres being building destroyers can be used as well (e.g. were destroys door, which causes liquid [preferrably magma], to pour out to activate a pressure plate that destroys a support that causes a collapse on top of the were Should also work on titans/FBs. I've created such designs, but never seen whether they work since nothing has attacked them as yet. In principle, a juicy secondary target, such as a door in the liquid ought to increase the likelihood the vandal is still underneath when the collapse is triggered).

Naryar beat me to most of the above.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:18:44 am »

Thanks everyone,

I think I go with the dog/doghouse solution at first. I think I got 8 females so the dog supply should suffice.