Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves dying from minor wounds seasons later  (Read 624 times)

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves dying from minor wounds seasons later
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:53 am »

I've recently had multiple dwarves die from what appears to be blood loss ages after sustaining what I consider minor injuries (broken toes, fingers, mangled ears). Through reloading old saves, I've managed to catch one shortly before she is due to expire, and her health screen is showing "Severe Blood Loss", as well as infections on multiple old injuries. The injuries were all taken care of immediately after they were sustained, but appear to have developed infections in the time since (which is perfectly realistic, I guess). Can I do anything about this? The dwarf in question is pretty much useless, but if my health care system is flawed, I'd like to know about it before I start losing legendary Axedwarves to broken fourth fingers, right hand. Could it be due to relatively unskilled medical staff? I've got one main doctor with all skills enabled, and she's at about skill level 4 in most of them.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves dying from minor wounds seasons later
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:24:47 am »

Yes, infections tend to do that, they cause bloodloss over time to 'simulate' getting killed by the infection.
Water and Soap to clean the wounds usually does the trick. Often but not always.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:32:03 am »

It seems they only clean their wounds for the first time. If it doesn't work then it doesn't.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:33:32 am »

Yeah, I think I figured out the problem. My well which draws from an underground lake got blocked by a mushroom growing in the cavern. Proceeding to cut it down now.
The dwarves could still have tried to clean themselves in the brook, but I guess they didn't. Hopefully a once again functioning well will prevent future deaths. I only lost four planters to the problem (I think, have no other explanation for their deaths), so no harm no foul.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:01:09 am »

You should floor over the bottom of the lake. As a matter of fact, anything that comes into contact with water where you want it to flow should be floored over to prevent tree growth.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »

Could be a vampire at work if they're suffering severe blood loss.