Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about Store item in stockpile: item inaccessible  (Read 662 times)

arvivlx2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
question about Store item in stockpile: item inaccessible
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:00 am »

Hello, it's my first ever message in those forums, I'm kinda nood in this game.
This announcement keep showing and it's drive me crazy, since I found the first cavarn, my dorfs keep spamming me with this announcement. I deleted my stockpiles, one at a time, and found that the announcements originate from the refuse pile, so I'm guessing there is some body part or corpse that my dorfs cant get to, but I cant figure out which one, I tried to disable different kinds of body parts and corpses from the refuse pile, but that didnt work, and I also tried to seal off the cavarn, but that didnt help too, I dont know if I did seal it properly any way. I dont know what else to do, It's driving me insane, please help.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: question about Store item in stockpile: item inaccessible
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:12:19 am »

You could try using d-b-f and drawing a large multi-level designation over the caverns to forbid everything there. That should stop them attempting to grab whatever is causing the problem.
If it doesn't try checking your waterways maybe? Or on top of walls and cliffs.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

arvivlx2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:26:49 am »

You could try using d-b-f and drawing a large multi-level designation over the caverns to forbid everything there. That should stop them attempting to grab whatever is causing the problem.
If it doesn't try checking your waterways maybe? Or on top of walls and cliffs.

non of this works.. why cant I just be able to see what is the item that is inaccesseble? I just know that it something in the refuse.. I forbid everything that relate to it (any corpse or body part) on the map bu the message still showing.. it only disappear if I delete the refuse pile or if the refuse pile is full with stuff...

How can I store more things in the refuse pile? only make it bigger? bins can be used there? I try make them use bins, but it didnt worked 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:29:28 am »

d-b-f should work.
Just drag the cursor from start to end, multiple levels.

Or you can use o-r to disable refuse collection.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:23 am »

I get huge spamming when Burrows are activated, typically because the item is no longer inside the permitted area. In particular, this happens when I retreat from the caverns, for which I use burrows, and the dorfs had set their minds to pick up every fragment of a killed creature there (or actually even a single fragment). Sealing the access to the cavern (I typically use drawbridges, but masonry also works as an emergency measure), and then cancelling the burrows tend to get things back to normal.
It seems there are some event/conditions that cause tasks to just get removed from the dorf it had been allocated to and then shuffled back into the "to do" list when it should actually be moved over to the "impossible to do" category. Things in the forbidden area of burrows is one case, another one is when a bucket has been allocated to fill a pond, but the bucket is destroyed, in which case complaints that the bucket is missing or destroyed keep spamming (fire snakes destroyed a number of buckets for me).

Your symptoms looks like burrow (or civilian alert, as one specific burrow kind is called) related. The task for hauling the item is in there even when the stockpile is full or removed, but it's only allocated (and promptly rejected) if the target (the refuse pile) can receive it.

Bins cannot be used for refuse. If bins would be sent to the pile they would be considered to be refuse and be degraded and destroyed over some time. However, I use quantum stockpiles to great effect (search the wiki for quantum stockpile). Then an infinite amount can be stored in a single tile (plus a track stop pile and a small feeder stockpile for the complete setup).