Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin King, can't assign rooms?  (Read 1440 times)

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
Goblin King, can't assign rooms?
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:32:25 pm »

I recently became a Mountainhome (for the first time ever in one of my forts 8)) and my King is a goblin, and I think because of this I can't assign him any rooms. Under the Units list he shows up as "Tame". I'm thoroughly confused and almost annoyed after digging this guy out some massive rooms and making gold doors and whatnot. Is there a workaround? Some kind of editing of raws to make him work properly? I worked pretty hard trying to attract a monarch to my fortress and now I can't even impress the green bastard with artifact chairs and engravings of cheese.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin King, can't assign rooms?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:43:53 pm »

He's not impressed because you're not trying hard enough! Why don't you put upright spears in his room? That's menacing and that's what goblins like! Even better, have his room surrounded by magma, this way, no mortal bearded being can put foot there, only the almighty green king! Maybe the goblin misses his green friends, so throw present him to some caged gobbos. Make sure you lock the place where the massacre heart-warming re-encounter is happening, the majesty won't like the dwarvs snooping on him!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:52:46 pm »

Well, you could try pasturing him inside the room (or chain him up, if you're so inclined into that sort of thing).  I dont think goblins eat or drink, so he should be rather low maintenance. 

Maybe you could even introduce him to some of his brethen... stripped naked and dumped into a gladitorial arena, of course.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:00:43 am »

Multi-racial fort support isn't in the game yet. Any sapient non-dwarves you get would basically be high-maintenance pets. Except for goblins, who don't eat, drink, or sleep.

Which means he's a safe king. No thoughts to bother him, no needs to be met, and no ability to make mandates or demands. And as a plus, he should still be able to meet with liaisons and diplomats.

A safe, easy to manage monarch. Which leaves only one option; Regicide.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

Which leaves only one option; Regicide.

Was considering this actually, if I just kill him, will he be automatically replaced by someone else? As crazy as it sounds, I'd actually like my King to have thoughts and what not. Especially after I already dug his big-ass rooms out lol

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:12:42 am »

Was considering this actually, if I just kill him, will he be automatically replaced by someone else? As crazy as it sounds, I'd actually like my King to have thoughts and what not. Especially after I already dug his big-ass rooms out lol

Unfortunate accidents happen all the time. (so yes, you'll get a new king just like if your mayor dies you get a new mayor)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:17:02 am »

I don't like non-dwarven kings of a dwarven kingdom... BUT there is an exception.  Is he awesome like Cacame?  because if he is, then it's ok.  Dwarves recognize merit :)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade
hamster cheese supplies are low

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:32:51 am »

He's actually really boring. I just checked Legends, and my Civ conquered his, the guy was just a farmer and stumbled his way into being King. He has no kills.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:39:53 am »

Throw him into a pit with a dragon. If he kills the dragon, then he is the green version of Cacame. If he dies...well, he's dead :D

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:27 am »

Considering that this guy became king the dwarven way (inexplicable coincidence), he should be treated fairly. The fact that he's basically immortal (no food/no drink) and can therefore be isolated from the rest of the fort in case of FUN and doesn't boss your dwarves around like dwarven nobles do is a bonus.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:06:13 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:50:27 pm »

Chain him up in a danger room, and train a legendary fighter gobbo? :P

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 07:56:37 pm »

That's really a disappointment.  You come to expect fantastic backstories for this kinda stuff...but he's just a boring farmer.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 12:01:12 am »

There's probably an amazing story behind that, if one that legends mode is unconcerned with. Random farmers from conquered territories don't generally come to rule the civilization that conquered them, after all. Was he chosen by the nobles of the realm because he would be low maintenance? Did he finagle his way into selection, possibly using invented titles, makeup, and a false beard? Is it some kind of affirmative action? We may never know.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:29 am »

Wall it into those valuable rooms and you've got an unbeatable fort, migrants will continue to arrive in response to disaster until you finally overwhelm whatever minor tribulation caused everyone but the regent to die off again. With that sort of insurance scheme, it's fiscally reprehensible to do anything other than have a great deal of fun.

Not the same with a Vampire, they get all mopey and slow, spoil the look of the place. Goblin Regent is always Goblin Regent. See how many skills you can get it at Legendary, swimming should be easy.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 01:46:54 am »

See how many skills you can get it at Legendary

What's the easiest way to do this sort of thing? He has some skill in Maces but I can't really make him equip one, unless you bright folks know of a way. I'll test his mettle in battle to see if he's worthy of ruling over dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2