Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Satisfaction Guaranteed  (Read 868 times)

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Satisfaction Guaranteed
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:13 pm »

Tanglednets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Backstory:
Tanglednets is a 9z-tall tower surrounded by a 2z-tall outer wall with a bridge raised 1z up connecting the tower to the outside world.  It was originally built directly on a river, but recent progression with the tower required the river be diverted.

So I dug out a 4z-deep trench in a circle around my outer wall, leaving the river in place until it froze during winter.  Then carefully channeled the ice and dirt out, leaving a frozen river looking out over my trench.

That's when a necromancer showed up at the head of 44 undead.  By the time I had built 45+ cage traps to catch them all, Spring had come, and the trench was filling quite quickly.  However, I should have located my cage hall entrance better.  Fully half the undead were in the north-east of the map when I opened up the west-facing trap hall to them, and they took the shortest path... right into the lowered-water-level area of the river emptying into my trench.

Roughly 20 of them, plus the necromancer, were washed into the trench, and refused to path out.  The necromancer died on impact, but the rest just sit there.  Keeping me under siege and shooting at passing Buzzards all day (though they did attract, and murder, a were-iguana, so I do owe them for that)

With no recourse (no military at the moment, and many of them were ranged) I decided to wait them out

Very satisfying

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:30:52 pm by RocheLimit »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfaction Guaranteed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:45 pm »

Thanks for sharing the satisfaction.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:55:12 pm »

Good read, and quite an impressive tower.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:42:00 am »

does the freezing destroy them? 
hamster cheese supplies are low

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:51:27 am »

does the freezing destroy them?
Watch the second spoiler

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:57:15 am »

I was under the impression freezing was a lot like atom smashing? Or am I wrong? Anyway, awesome story :P Quick question: what tileset is that?
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:59:34 am »

Nice tower.
I was under the impression freezing was a lot like atom smashing? Or am I wrong? Anyway, awesome story :P Quick question: what tileset is that?
I think that's Phoebus. Also, freezing insta-kills, kind of like obisdianizing, but it preserves corpses, which will appear once you melt the ice.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.