Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good tutorials for creating custom races/civs?  (Read 2695 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Good tutorials for creating custom races/civs?
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »

By good, I mean one that assumes that I am a total idiot when it comes to DF modding and doesn't leave out necessary bits because the tutorial is assuming knowledge of some other aspect of modding.  I want to create custom, playable races based on various Daedra from the TES games: Dremora, Golden Saints, etc.  I'm sure you can tell I'm not concerned overly with lore here, so if we can stick to suggestions and good tutorials and stuff, I'd appreciate that.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I tried doing a custom race and making it playable with the controllable civ tag, but the game just derped and gave me dwarves like always, even though I took off their controllable civ tag. 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Good tutorials for creating custom races/civs?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

First off: if you have multiple controllable civs, you need to switch between them at embark. Just select a civ and check the neighbors screen (the top one is always the player race). Maybe that was one of your problems.

As for the rest:

First, of course, you need a creature. You want them to have a body part with [GRASP], which if they are humanoid (as in, use HUMANOID, HUMANOID_NECK, etc bodies) they'll already have, as well as [INTELLIGENT]. Vanilla Dwarves of Humans should serve as an example. Once that is done, you'll need to create an entity.

Civs are based upon entities. An entity tells the game what a civ based on it is composed of and has access to. You need to decide what weapons and armour/clothing they have access to. If they have access to evil animals, good animals, or any animals at all. If they can farm, etc. You can find all of the necessary tokens at the wiki or raw files. But what defines what creature is used is the token [CREATURE:X] (where X is the ID of a creature. Such as [CREATURE:ELF]). If you have multiple creature tokens defined at the entity, it will select one at random when spawning a civ during worldgen.

Hope that helped.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:17:02 pm »

It does, thanks!  Mind, I was doing those things, based on a tutorial I was following, but I might have done something wrong all the same.  I didn't know the issues with selection.  I was wanting just the one, though, and removed playable from dwarves, so should it not have eliminated dwarves as a playable civ?  But I got them anyway.

I was initially just trying out Dremora and haven't started the other races just yet.  Figure it's best to just start with one and move on to the others when I see how it goes.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:29:31 pm »

It's mostly Wikiwork. For the creatures pull up the Wiki's modding page and look for creature modding. For civs, pull up your entity file, pick a civ, and study it. Use the Wiki to look up the different categories involved and learn the different possible tokens. From there you should be able to build one, like I've been working on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 05:50:56 pm »

It does, thanks!  Mind, I was doing those things, based on a tutorial I was following, but I might have done something wrong all the same.  I didn't know the issues with selection.  I was wanting just the one, though, and removed playable from dwarves, so should it not have eliminated dwarves as a playable civ?  But I got them anyway.

I was initially just trying out Dremora and haven't started the other races just yet.  Figure it's best to just start with one and move on to the others when I see how it goes.

Heh, dremora as your first? Basically the same thing as me. I did Homestuck trolls first. They're grey-skinned, warlike humanoids with a caste-centric society who use the daedric alphabet.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »

Heh, dremora as your first? Basically the same thing as me. I did Homestuck trolls first. They're grey-skinned, warlike humanoids with a caste-centric society who use the daedric alphabet.

Hehe.  I love Dremora, so they were a natural choice for me.    I didn't fool with castes yet, since this is a first go at modding for me and I'm keeping things simple.  I did have Imago Storm from Battlespire in mind when renaming MONARCH to GRAND_VIZIER and will make the other nobles into higher ranked castes, perhaps.