Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead siege issues  (Read 284 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undead siege issues
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:36:56 pm »

For the first time I've embarked near a black tower, and after 1½ year I'm besieged. Strangely, the only non corpse in the force is a goblin (the corpses are 27 goblins and one elf), while I thought goblins couldn't become necromancers since they would already be immortal if they didn't promptly go attacking things and get themselves killed.
Secondly, the buggers just sat there on the back side of the volcano, despite there being a path to my fortress (I've channelled out the already steep sides to make the undiggable map edges the only paths). Eventually I managed to entice them to come one or a few at a time by building a fairly high staircase, The building stopped as the builder was scared, but one or a few corpses jumped to the tower (1 tile away from the cliff, but a few levels lower) and proceeded to my fortress, where I caught them by reloading cage traps between each wave. Since I didn't want ugly corpses on display in my dining hall, I tried to make a separate stockpile for them. Goblins went fine, they could be excluded as "animals", but I can't find elves in the list?
Eventually, the living goblin made the jump to my staircase, and when it made it to the ground, the rest of the force streamed down on of the paths available, but I don't understand why the "leader" didn't actually path to my fortress in the first place.
By using my drawbridges enclosing my starting entrance and later trade depot entrance and cage traps inside, I managed to capture all of them except the leader, who has disappeared (fled?) by the time 8 corpses remained, one that died on its own (possibly missed the jump to my staircase), and one who got chopped up by my repeating menacing spike array shortcut. But where did the goblin go? Did it flee to return another day? The "spontaneously" dying corpse wasn't reraised, despite the living goblin standing just a few tiles away for quite some time. Could it be that the goblin actually was only a lowly minion, and the actual necromancer didn't bother to dirty his hands with my pushover fortress (my largest cage trap array was only 4 rows)?

Luring goblins might work (especially since all the shots they fired missed), but I'm not keen on repeating it with a titan. Is there something I can do to increase the likelihood of it actually coming to my fortress rather than waiting to be led there?