Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Saving Sandiron: DnD 5eBasic: IC Thread  (Read 6300 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Sandiron: DnD 5eBasic: IC Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 09:45:03 am »

"I am not trained in the use of crossbows, but sure. Thanks."

"Well then, sell it and get something you can use, friend. Your magic isn't limitless-but, you can pick up your bolts after you use them."

--

"You'd think the scuttlehats* would have bothered with a coat of paint after they went to all the trouble of conquering the city..." Arno grouses, looking at the city.

"I suppose the question is, do we want to do this next thing quiet tonight, or wait till tomorrow after we're rested up? I can still fight, but I've been better." He says, a bit of worry in his voice.

*A derogatory term for Western Empire soldiers, based on the shape of their metal-bucket helmets

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 01:36:14 pm »

"War doesn't make paint. Though clearly they don't consider this place worth a new wall either."

Coral nods at the burnt mess that marks the town's edge.

"Easy enough to slip out of that we want to be sure our quarry doesn't run. We should rest first."
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:34 pm »

"Well said, sister...we should get any business we have done before nightfall...I admit, I feel the need to pay a visit to the Hogs Brew and scope it out...and maybe check some of their wares..." He says, scratching his chin, but only feeling the itch to do something dangerous.

He figured he wouldn't make much of an impression if he hid his weapons on his camel and went in his normal clothes-he would look just like a country bumpkin.

"A remarkably handsome one, anyway." he thought to himself.

He accidentally said that last part out loud.

Action: Arno goes to investigate the Hogs Brew! Non-Combat mode!

((Everyone should remember to add 12 gold to their inventory btw-I'll keep track of the rest of the random stuff on my camel))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:22:58 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2015, 10:17:53 pm »

"A remarkably handsome one, anyway." he thought to himself.

He accidentally said that last part out loud.

"Handsome? That's debatable....."

Decides to see how high the fees are in the inns before any arguments can happen.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:28 pm »

Hyphien and anyone with him check out the prices at the inns. A room at the Knot Hole is 5 sp per room per night, while staying at the Walking Tree would cost 1 gp per room per night, and three meals are served each day there at 2 sp a piece. Neither looks like an awful place to stay. There are a few human Western Empire soldiers in the general purpose room at the front of the Walking Tree, discussing something over a meal; but equally off-putting, the innkeeper at the Knot Hole has multiple scars on his face, and many on the backs of his hands, especially the right one, and has the air of one connected to criminals.

Arno decides to look for the Hog's Brew before he shacks up for the night. He heads into town, looking for the purpoted shop.
[Intelligence (Investigation): 12+1]
He and anyone with him find it easily after all, partway across the city and only one street away from the main road. Much of the front of the store, including the display windows, is decked out with mystical and magical looking decorations, and in the display windows there are several stoppered glass bottles filled with brightly colored liquids and powders. This does seem to be the place.

Entering, there are a few shelves on the walls, a door to a back room, a counter behind which there are two people, and a island made up of barrels, out of which many plant-leaves are spilling. On the shelves are many more bottles, potted plants, and strange decorations. There are a couple of other people browsing the wares.

Both human men behind the counter and one of the people out and about, an elven lady, are wearing masks. The lady has a goblin-esque masks painted in bright green with war-paint like markings in navy. One man is wearing a fanged mask that looks like some sort of devil-creature. The other man is wearing cloth wrapped around his face, leaving his eyes uncovered, with a narrow black wooden mask around the eyes and sweeping back past his ears. You can hear the sound of something bubbling, and a faint whining coming from one of the flasks on a shelf.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 11:35:06 pm »

Portia has been wordlessly following Arno, with a frown on her face that twitches into a glare once inside the shop. The masks unnerve her; the whole situation is pretty surreal. She leans against the front wall, arms crossed lightly, the tips of her fingers running lightly across the pommels of her blades. Arno could handle the talking. She was just there to punch people.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 12:03:31 am »

Meanwhile, Hyphien heads over to the Hog's Brew as well, concerned that the hobbits might have gotten into some trouble or are otherwise needing backup. Keeps a lookout for anything exceedingly mysterious.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2015, 09:23:07 am »

Arno thought his plan was pretty much ruined when Portia came along and began scowling, hands on her blades. They were supposed to keep a low profile!

Ah, well...it's not like this was a real business anyway. He doubted if any of the potions were real. Anyone could make fizzy colored water look "magical".

He was interested in alchemy, however. He made a show of going in circles around the aisles, gawping at the potions and ingredients, before walking up to the counter, stepping up on a stool.

"Gosh! Is there some sort of big city type of festival going on? What's with the masks, fellas?" He asks in his best humble bumpkin voice. He even hitched up his pants for additional affect.

Actions: Chat em up!
Also, check out the whining flask...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:51 am »

Coral, meanwhile, had waited outside the shop when Arno entered, though she was as armed as Portia.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 12:43:22 pm »

Portia decides it's probably a better idea to wait outside instead.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »

Having scouted out the two inns, Hyphien heads to meet up with the rest outside the Hog's Brew, where he sees Coral and Portia waiting outside. They also see a small crowd forming at some sort of ceramic crafts shop down the street, where a vendor is shouting about sales.

Within the shop, Arno is looking for some information.
"It's our badge of genuinity, half-pint. Proves that we are real alchemists, I can see that look of doubt in your eye. If you want, I can show you." The man with the cloth-covering says. He steps out from the counter and picks up a vial from the window display.
"This here is a genuine potion of sweating. Drink this, and you'll start shedding water and pounds like a miracle. Take this one as a free sample, we've got more."
You can see out of your eye that the elven lady is showing off potions to a customer in a similar way, and has picked up the whining flask. She removes the stopper...
[Saving Throw: Con 9+4]
A very loud whistle sounds through the store, and you clasp your ears shut quickly. The sound stops and turns back into a whining when the stopper is put back onto the flask, and you uncover your ears. There are other customers still wincing in pain or covering their ears, and the man still behind the counter is covering his as well. The other man, the one showing you their products, is laughing.
"And that's a bottled banshee; it's not really a banshee, but the sound was terrifying, was it not? Our proud Imperial Army uses them to signal for ambushes."
The Cyan Menace

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 02:13:08 pm »

"Ah, thank you, sira! I'll put it to good use." Arno says, tucking the potion into his belt pouch.

He taps his chin thoughtfully. He realized the man had problem done him a backhanded insult with his choice of potion, but...subtly done. Point!

"...I do wonder, are you folk in the business of com-esti-bles? I'm a humble country farmer in the city for business, but I could perhaps show you an assortment of recipes you may find useful in your alchemy. After all, what's the use of growing someones arm back if the taste isn't memorable? I have heard alchemic concoctions are greatly improved by decent brewerage. I can offer dark red and pale white wines, light and dark beer, and sweet cherry cider...perhaps you might enjoy a sample?"

Action: Try to hawk some of my fine drinks (accepting no price below 10G each)-pretty much a cover to why I'm nosing around. Assuming no problems, leave afterward and head to the walking tree inn for a night of rest.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2015, 12:42:53 am »

"Tut tut shorty. I'm not about to get drunk on the job. The boss... he would kill me. Hahah!"

You could swear he was smiling. His is the most mobile mask you've seen so far, so it might be possible.

"I do agree some of this stuff tastes bad. We try to make as much of it taste acceptable, though, or not have a taste. I guess I could buy a few, but for myself, and not now. I'll let you peruse the wares, if you see anything that interests you let me know."

On his way back to the counter, he grabs a few leaves out of the center display, and lifts some cloth away from his face to put them in his mouth. The elf looks towards him for a moment, but she continues talking with her other customer after a moment.
The Cyan Menace

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:00 am »

Coral saw no need to stand around here. There didn't seem to be any commotion. Down the street was another matter.

"I'm going to see what all that fuss is about."

She nods at the vendor.

investigate ceramics vendor.

Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2015, 12:25:49 pm »

Arno strolled out, taking a spot by Portia.

"Nothing interesting, I suppose. We'll talk about it later...what's the Cleric doing?"

Action: Hang about and see what excitement comes from the ceramics vendor

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9