Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to provoke dragon attack?  (Read 2681 times)

Moorindal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to provoke dragon attack?
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:28:44 am »

Is there any way to provoke dragon attack? I've been playing DF for years and not even once my fortress have been attacked by dragon. It isn't fun at all, I want to change that.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to provoke dragon attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:07:15 am »

No, it's random. Sometimes a dragon would come instead of random titan. But first it need to survive worldgen. There's few of them and they tend to get killed.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Moorindal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:26 am »

That sucks. Need MOAR !!FUN!!.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:49:35 am »

It is moer !!FUN!! when you are not ready.
 8)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:35:19 pm »

Dragons aren't really that tough. Any shield can block dragonfire. One decent armored warrior can take out a dragon. The only real problem is the brushfires they start. So, just simulate a dragon attack by setting your fort on fire.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:52:00 pm »

I had a big scary named female Roc to come visit my latest 40.19 fort... I assume because I have some mountain biome in th mix.
She ate some of my livestock then got trapped in a cage trap  :D
Now I'm trying to tame her, hehe.

Maybe if you have access to lots of caverns a cave dragon will be more likely to appear/spawn?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »

Need more FUN?
  • Pump some water
  • Make some fast minecarts
  • Attack caravans
  • Dig down bit more
  • Pump some magma
If still not enough FUN appears, dig down more. A lot. FUN assured.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 06:59:08 pm »

Need more FUN?
  • Pump some water
  • Make some fast minecarts
  • Attack caravans
  • Dig down bit more
  • Pump some magma
If still not enough FUN appears, dig down more. A lot. FUN assured.
Don't forget building drop chutes that go down 50 z levels and end directly on top of a meeting zone, making a system to clean your fortress via flooding water, forgetting to set brewing drinks on repeat and causing your fortress to dehydrate and all the other !!Fun!! things that can happen

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:20 pm »

You also need to embark near the dragon's lair for it to attack.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »

Aye, megabeasts and semi-megabeasts aren't randomly generated out of thin air when you generate enough wealth.  They are static historic figures and can be killed off and even have ranges.  If the nearest dragon is 100+ tiles away from your fort, it won't bother to attack you when there are closer targets (or maybe its just lazy).  Also, if all the dragons are killed off in a world you obviously won't see another. 

One thing you can do is increase the amount of caves and megabeast lairs in "advanced world gen."  You can also directly increase the # of titans (33 is default for large worlds, try setting it to 100 or more!).  Then you can reduce the wealth requirement for attacks and even the population requirement for sieges. You could also set the requirement to rely on EXPORTED wealth.  Personally i like to do this.  Why would the dragon magically know I was drowning in swag unless caravans filled with diamond encrusted pimp cups made of solid gold were regularly leaving my fort on caravans?

Moorindal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:57:31 pm »

You also need to embark near the dragon's lair for it to attack.

How do I know where to find one?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

Wander around in adventure mode to find one - asking lots of people for information on the surroundings sometimes helps find fun places.

Be warned though, Dragons are very anti climactic. Yes, they can set EVERYTHING on fire, but seeing as they take 1000 years to reach full size, unless you are playing in an old world they often arrive as "juveniles" far short of their large and dangerous size and are hence easily dispatched.
This is a blank sig.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »

This and the fact they're quite unlikely to survive 1000 years of world gen.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »

Tough to be fair nothing suvives the worldgen...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 09:29:46 am »

Increase the number of megabeast caves (aka megabeasts) in your next world.

Large amounts of megabeasts is excessively fun for civilizations and sites, but hey, that's what you need to do if you want dragons.