Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skulls are too thick?  (Read 1475 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Skulls are too thick?
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:05:23 am »

I forgot to remove hunting ammo, so a new hunter arrived and began hunting water buffaloes.
He shot a buffalo bull into hedgehog but it didn't die (yeah, marksdwarf, you know).
Then he began to bash the unconscious bull in the head with his bronze crossbow (now I understand why he had hammerdwarf skill...) for 3 days. No wonder he passed out from exhaustion several times.
Then the bull recovered and gored his head like a watermelon.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls are too thick?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:13:07 am »

Must have been one heck of a strong buffalo.

kirmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:16:51 am »

This might also be caused by the recent change of bolt calculation: they used to count as bludgeons, making their tiny contact areas a great benefit, and heavy materials like silver functioned like .50 rounds. Now, however, they deal piercing like intended, so if the enemy has large fat or otherwise nonvital areas on the outside, its unlikely to inflict a killing blow.
As a side effect of this change, bolts are now less overpowered vs armor, and you shouldn't waste bolts on the undead- they don't have hit points anymore, and only bludgeons pulp, so shooting them with bolts doesn't do anything but aggro the zombies and leave you without bolts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:23 am »

Yeah the fat. All he did was bruising the fat and muscle.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:34 am »

This might also be caused by the recent change of bolt calculation: they used to count as bludgeons, ...

You must be thinking of ballista arrows specifically. Hand weapon fired bolts and arrows have been able to pierce for some time.

Skulls used to be too thin. In one of the 0.40.xx versions, Toady made skulls thicker so that non-lethal bar fights and muggings would be possible in adventure mode. In 0.34.11, for example, skulls were like eggshells by default.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:12 am »

That might be by design.

If you look at the african cape buffalo, the skill is very thick. So thick that its bulletproof and hunters have to either shoot the legs first, hit the animal from the side before it charges, or hit an eye.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:46 pm »

That might be by design.

If you look at the african cape buffalo, the skill is very thick. So thick that its bulletproof and hunters have to either shoot the legs first, hit the animal from the side before it charges, or hit an eye.

Or use significantly heavier caliber bullets than one would normally use for hunting.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:12:54 pm »

That might be by design.

Or use significantly heavier caliber bullets than one would normally use for hunting.
Lol and now I'm picturing a big game hunter lugging around an anti material rifle.  I doubt that skull is buletproof enough to resist a round designed to punch through an engine block.  Although come to think of it thats prety close to what bolts were in 34.11 or at least how they behaved.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »

That might be by design.

Lol and now I'm picturing a big game hunter lugging around an anti material rifle.  I doubt that skull is buletproof enough to resist a round designed to punch through an engine block.  Although come to think of it thats prety close to what bolts were in 34.11 or at least how they behaved.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_gun
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.