Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: What is everyone's favorite Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (If you play them)  (Read 9342 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Morrowind, Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas used levels to gate the player whilst 3, Oblivion and Skyrim wanted it to be more "anybody can do anything at any level", which personally makes me feel like I'm a child in a playpen, no real sense of danger to it.

Even mods that fix that tend to be flawed because there's often no obvious sign of what the rough power of an area is. In Morrowind, you quickly learnt where you were safe since it was pretty obvious what areas were and weren't dangerous for you and NPCs would tell you things like "Daedric ruins are dangerous" and "Hey some bandits in that cave. You look like maybe you could handle it though". There was actual though put into that world building on multiple levels, and it made the world feel more alive despite the technical limitations. Now the technical limitations aren't there, yet the world feels more artificial than ever thanks to the levelling systems. Kinda sad, really.

And it meant you had areas you'd have to come back later to explore because everything in there would kill you otherwise. But that "limits player choice", or as I like to call it, "forces players to think".

Anyway, favourite Fallout? Fallout 1, followed by New Vegas then 2. But it's pretty close between them since they're all very nice :)
Favourite elder scrolls? Morrowind, duh :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:19:26 pm by MorleyDev »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

I often had to look up which areas were safe in Morrowind. Some caves are full of piddly bandits. Some have mages who will OHK your poor level 5 ass from a room away. Some, oddly enough, have both.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

I often had to look up which areas were safe in Morrowind. Some caves are full of piddly bandits. Some have mages who will OHK your poor level 5 ass from a room away. Some, oddly enough, have both.
They also scale.  The critters were pulled from leveled lists.  Progression meant new enemies who were of the same type as the last, but stronger.

That scamp at level 1 became a clannfear for level 6 became a fattie at level 10 became . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

They also scale.  The critters were pulled from leveled lists.  Progression meant new enemies who were of the same type as the last, but stronger.

That scamp at level 1 became a clannfear for level 6 became a fattie at level 10 became . . .

The loot doesn't scale though, so I could totally grab shiny Daedric weapons from some scamps at a low level and wreck face[Assuming I can A) Carry and B) Hit with the aforementioned weapon. Or, Y'know, I could just summon a bound weapon like a sane person. Actually, this is more balanced then I thought.].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I always wondered why Kvatch was invaded exclusively by stunted scamps and clannfear runts.

Then I did the quest at a higher level and the poor guards were eaten alive by daedroths and storm atronachs.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I've always liked killing Storm Atronachs, the lil rocks go everywhere.

I actually just always have liked killing enemies that fall apart. Skeletons are a favorite, those robots in Borderlands 2, those saber and blaster droids in Jedi Academy 2. Enemies that fall apart are fun, I just get a lil bit of pleasure from breaking them.

My vote is Morrowind for best TES game. Combat system was horrid though.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

I never did say that I really like Fallout 1 2 & 3, did I? Just recently finished Fallout 1 too, Fallout 2, is an awesome game too, extremely hard to play. But amazing nontheless. And Fallout 3 is what got me into Fallout in the first place, so it is my second favorite of the trilogy (hopefully soon to be saga...) but of course Fallout is my favorite game series ever, so I love all of them almost equally.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Trilogy?
There are four games out
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is tactics a main game?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Fall out new Vegas is
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Is tactics a main game?
I don't think its canon.  I am under the impression that Bethesda retconned it?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Tactics is semi-canon.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New vegas isn't really a sequel per se, it's more like a spinoff, a really damn good spinoff, but a spinoff nontheless.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spinoff meaning not really a "main" game.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

I don't know, New Vegas doesn't sound like a spin-off to me. Actually you could probably call Fallout 3 a spin-off while NV is the proper game, since 3 goes off and does it own thing in the Capital Wasteland, while NV deals with the NCR and other stuff directly connected to the old games. Admittedly Fallout 3 came first, but that just means that it could be a spin-off of 1/2, while NV was the proper sequel. Depends on how you want to look at things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8