Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1322 1323 [1324] 1325 1326 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548239 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19846 on: June 18, 2016, 01:51:18 pm »

You randomly brought up two sociopolitical concepts tangentially related to politics and totally unrelated to the matter at hand.
Which of the matters at hand are you referring to?

Did you know that passive aggressive behavior is also a psychological phenomena that one sometimes finds in threads such as this? It's even in the DSM-IV.

Tell me Reelya, how does this tend to manifest? Dropping obvious links to well known sources without any real context as though it proves something? Derailing the current thread by introducing unrelated topics as though they're relevant to the discussion with all the deftness and tact of a 1st year college student?

Also, drink.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:54:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19847 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:59 pm »

Yeah, drinking is definitely one of the general symptoms.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19848 on: June 18, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »

We know who our nominees are, barring convention tomfoolery (and believe it that some in the GOP have not given up on dethroning Trump), these are the two. So here's a question: What about VPs? Trump is really the more interesting question here, since for him the question is pretty strongly limited by "people who WANT to be VP for this man". Marco Rubio would be a great VP choice for him (senate experience, proof he doesn't just hate brown people, Senator of one of the two major swing states, etc) as well as Kasich (government experience, is governor of one of the two major swing states, etc), but the odds are extremely low either would ever consent to it; Kasich probably never would. I've heard "Gingrich" and "Christie" as top choices, given both apparently actually want the job, and Gingrich would bring Senate experience (which is what Trump himself has said he is looking for in a VP) while Christie would bring government experience (as well as the fact he will probably lose his re-election bid in Jersey at this rate, so he's gotta jump ship). This is assuming he doesn't just pick his wife or something.

Clinton probably has a lot more options then Trump does, but who would look good with her? Ideally a progressive with credentials, right?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19849 on: June 18, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

Since orlando thread is locked,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/troubled-quiet-macho-angry-the-volatile-life-of-omar-mateen/2016/06/17/15229250-34a6-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

FFS. In this one man three current national issues of import to America come together. Gun violence, sexuality politics and Islamic Terrorism. Some of the stuff this guy has said in the past basically confirms what some believe about "secret American Muslim terrorists" being in the wings. While I'm not sure I really fault the FBI for not identifying this guy as a threat (his life is a ton of mixed signals), they are going to catch hell for this when the full scope of this guy's radical leanings over his life is cataloged. I mean, standing up in class on 9/11 when the planes hit the buildings and declaring Osama Bin Laden is your uncle and you've hung out with him? A possible radical terrorist who is also in the closest? It's all so absurd.

It's starting to seem like the dude was mentally unbalanced and his delusions centered around radical Islam, about wanting to seem like a badass while not really being committed to the cause. When he finally snapped he did what he'd done in the past: claim he belonged to a group which would make him look tougher. The profile on his dad is also pretty interesting, guy seems like a bit of a megalomaniac by those descriptions.

I'm starting to feel like this tragedy is just another "American" mass shooting tragedy, where it's shades of radical Islam compared to like James Holmes' shades of schizophrenia.

Ideally a progressive with credentials, right?

I think the question would be "which demographic she hasn't brought over yet and why." You'd think Progressives to try and win over Bernie supporters but....I think there's a good chance many of them will vote for her rather than abstain from the election entirely and face the specter of a Trump presidency. Maybe it'd be arrogant of her to assume that all good dems will flock to her banner once she has the nomination but it'd also be pretty expected. She's not carrying nearly as much baggage with her own party's voters and Trump is with his. Democrat's distrust of Hilary is more from the vague impression she thinks she'e earned her turn as President and that she's part of the democratic side of corporate American government. The closer we get to election day, the harder those beliefs have to stand up against her possibly losing to Trump.

So. I think it's at least possible she'd go for a moderate centrist who leans a little more right than she does to try and get at moderate Republican voters who feel completely alienated by Trump and their own party's inability or eventual unwillingness to stand against him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:32:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19850 on: June 18, 2016, 02:24:48 pm »

proof he doesn't just hate brown people

I love this, since taken in another context you could mean "He hates a lot more then juuust brown people"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19851 on: June 18, 2016, 03:45:38 pm »

Here's my bet: Trump will pick Michelle Bachmann.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19852 on: June 18, 2016, 04:22:18 pm »

You'd think Progressives to try and win over Bernie supporters but....I think there's a good chance many of them will vote for her rather than abstain from the election entirely and face the specter of a Trump presidency. Maybe it'd be arrogant of her to assume that all good dems will flock to her banner once she has the nomination but it'd also be pretty expected.
Nah, not exactly arrogant. Most recent polling is showing that somewhere in the 60+% range of current sanders supporters are intent on/willing to vote clinton if sanders isn't not an option, iirc.

Pretty sure a lot of folks are kinda' having trouble remembering that clinton and sanders both have pretty damn similar platforms, and that their voting records are rather in line with each other (people forget that some of hillary's history is actually left of bernie's, methinks, heh). Folks that are intent on voting for sanders will be getting most of the same promises out of clinton, and probably at least an equal likelihood (and possibly higher, since clinton is... so far usually a lot more explicit about how she intends to do what she's claiming to intend to do) of seeing said promises enacted. Voting wise, there's only so much she'd gain bringing a progressive at this point, basically. At least not for their relationship with the progressive inclined base, in any case.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19853 on: June 18, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

Is this credible? Do we have any economists here? http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/06/17/Why-Clinton-or-Trump-Could-Face-Stock-Market-Nightmare

I'd ask on reddit, but reddit is where knowledge and reason go to die. Like, if Sherlock Holmes was doing Sherlock-Holmesian stuff on reddit, every post he made would get downvoted into oblivion.

More on-topicly, Glenn Greenwald is trying to be a voice of reason: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/17/the-fbi-was-right-not-to-arrest-omar-mateen-before-the-shooting/

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19854 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:43 pm »

Like, if Sherlock Holmes was doing Sherlock-Holmesian stuff on reddit, every post he made would get downvoted into oblivion.

To be fair, Arthur Conan Doyle doing Sherlock stuff is what got him to back up the Cottingley Fairies or the Spiritualist movement, including seances, mediums, psychics, and spirit photography, on the grounds that "whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  Soo... :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19855 on: June 18, 2016, 09:22:18 pm »

That's amusing, I didn't know that. :D

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19856 on: June 18, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »

Is this credible? Do we have any economists here? http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2016/06/17/Why-Clinton-or-Trump-Could-Face-Stock-Market-Nightmare

Long term negative interest rates have been with us for several years now.  There is no particular reason to think that we need to consider the stock market through this lens right now more then say six months ago.

I would say that it's evidence that the Fed rate hike was premature but I would have said that regardless so how much can you trust me?  :P
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19857 on: June 18, 2016, 10:33:42 pm »

Mainiac, do you support Hillary Clinton, and if you do, when did you start?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19858 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »

Pretty sure I was born that way man.

No but seriously, about a month after the first debate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19859 on: June 18, 2016, 10:38:23 pm »

Wait, wait. Which first debate? I mean, I'm guessing this cycle but that coulda' been the '08 one, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1322 1323 [1324] 1325 1326 ... 1342