Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547436 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19545 on: June 14, 2016, 05:47:08 am »

Anyway, Trump has revocated the press credentials of the Washington Post Not really a friend of an adversarial press our Trump. He might not be the next Hitler, but he does give off a "next Orban" vibe.
Can't he be arrested and put in jail for that, on charges of damaging democracy by denying free press?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19546 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:49 am »

No, he has no obligation to allow them into his private events. He isn't President yet, mind you, and they also kind of deserve it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:59:21 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19547 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:39 am »

Anyway, Trump has revocated the press credentials of the Washington Post Not really a friend of an adversarial press our Trump. He might not be the next Hitler, but he does give off a "next Orban" vibe.
Can't he be arrested and put in jail for that, on charges of damaging democracy by denying free press?

There's an xkcd for this.

And I'm pretty sure even if he was President he could tell members of the press to fuck off if he found them deeply objectionable. He just couldn't systematically persecute, arrest and put them on the breaking wheel for it.

E: Furthermore, "damaging democracy" sounds like exactly the kind of charge you'd use if you were a dictator aiming to dispose of someone.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:29:43 am by Harry Baldman »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19548 on: June 14, 2016, 06:35:50 am »

I dunno. It's a quite normal charge here. If you are caught bribing people's votes during election time, you'll be charged with it.
Or if you set fire to a mayor's car after threatening him about a policy, you'll not only face arson charges, but also damaging democracy charges.
Similarily, banning whatever official press representative from a public meeting would get your ass sued. Emphasis on public though. Press can't just barge into a private party.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19549 on: June 14, 2016, 06:42:53 am »

Half our police don't carry guns, Bobbies with guns are very rare. I've only ever seen them occasionally patrolling major transport hubs, government buildings and central London landmarks in times of heightened security (usually every Brussels or Paris). Plus you've also got to remember we're the world's largest surveillance state, where everything is watched

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: June 14, 2016, 07:43:29 am »

I dislike Trump, but I'll even admit that the press tends to go hard on him, cherry picking quotes, leaving out context, just plain insulting him. I'd get fed up with it too. The list of press that he's banned isn't exactly picked from the shining examples of integrity.

There's a difference between saying "No, you can't come to my party." and "No, you don't have a voice."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: June 14, 2016, 11:00:40 am »

I dislike Trump, but I'll even admit that the press tends to go hard on him, cherry picking quotes, leaving out context, just plain insulting him.

I disagree.  The press has treated him with kid gloves.  The reason he comes off so badly is that the small fraction of his gross incompetance they leave in is still far worse then most humans.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19552 on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:18 am »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19553 on: June 14, 2016, 11:19:27 am »

Oh carp.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:35 am »

Someone enlighten me: what does DNC stand for Departmen of National... what?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: June 14, 2016, 11:36:06 am »

Democratic National Committee. It's the Democratic party's leadership.

E: fixed quote.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:46:08 am by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19556 on: June 14, 2016, 11:40:16 am »

Democratic National Committee. It's the Democratic party's leadership.
Fixed your quote. Also wow. That is indeed a fuck-up of massive proportions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: June 14, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

Article also mentions that one of the two groups is the same that did this:
Cozy Bear, for instance, compromised the unclassified email systems of the White House, State Department and Joint Chiefs of Staff in 2014, Alperovitch said.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19558 on: June 14, 2016, 11:57:04 am »

Oh shit, this one is big. The Rooskies got into the DNC's servers and got away with pretty much everything they wanted. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-government-hackers-penetrated-dnc-stole-opposition-research-on-trump/2016/06/14/cf006cb4-316e-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html
The intrusions are an example of Russia’s interest in the U.S. political system and its desire to understand the policies, strengths and weaknesses of a potential future president — much as American spies gather similar information on foreign candidates and leaders.
Not even Russian analysts can figure what the fuck is going on in America

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19559 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:48 pm »

Not even Russian analysts can figure what the fuck is going on in America

Sigged, this made me chuckle.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1342