Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545764 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19335 on: June 12, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »

Kinda, yeah.  Most gun control laws are, unsurprisingly, written by people who don't understand guns.

Oh contrary.  Gun laws are a bunch of kludges written by no one at all.  People are falling over themselves to rewrite the laws and make them sensible.  Sadly a bunch of kneejerk idiots throw a hissy fit anytime the legislation is done so small corrections are politically impossible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19336 on: June 12, 2016, 06:04:35 pm »

That modification, depending on the gun, can be quite simple as well. I've seen a few weapon designs where it would be a matter of half an hour with a file to render the gun full-auto. Most military rifles are rather more complex, but nevertheless.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19337 on: June 12, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »

Local NRA member butting in: I heavily doubt the full-auto he used was a legal weapon. Any automatic in this country'll go for tens of thousands. As for the "modified semi-auto" cliche, again, tens of thousands. Under FOPA, drop-in auto sears (the thing you use to convert a semi-auto to an automatic) are also classified as machine guns. Ergo, any DIAS on the market was registered before 1986, and, due to low supply, will cost at minimum 10k.

That modification, depending on the gun, can be quite simple as well. I've seen a few weapon designs where it would be a matter of half an hour with a file to render the gun full-auto. Most military rifles are rather more complex, but nevertheless.
Erm. "Filing down" a rifle to make it fully-auto is kinda like turning a stick-shift into an automatic transmission. It's possible, yes.

Unless you're talking about the "30-round burst" style of full-auto. Because those things are really just AR-brand hand grenades, to be honest.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19338 on: June 12, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »

I've never understood why gun related hobbies are so interesting anyway. At it's core, it's just taking apart, cleaning, and reassembling a handheld machine before firing metal out of it at ludicrous speed. It just looks and sounds so boring. (If you're expecting to hear gunshots, if not, gunshots are anything but boring.).

If you want home defense, odds are that a thief isn't coming in in kevlar plate, so a peashooter or some sort of barreled shotgun should be just fine. I don't really have a stance on gun control because I don't understand why people want this advanced weaponry when something that can deal with 3-4 intruders should be enough anyone needs.

It just sounds inane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19339 on: June 12, 2016, 06:15:56 pm »

I'll never understand why people like to look at little curses characters moving around on a screen and deciphering what real-world activity is being simulated by a smiley face standing next to a full block while that full block disappears.
Shoes...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19340 on: June 12, 2016, 06:17:13 pm »

I'll never understand why people like to look at little curses characters moving around on a screen and deciphering what real-world activity is being simulated by a smiley face standing next to a full block while that full block disappears.

Most likely a mixture of OCD and insanity.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19341 on: June 12, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »

I've never understood why gun related hobbies are so interesting anyway. At it's core, it's just taking apart, cleaning, and reassembling a handheld machine before firing metal out of it at ludicrous speed. It just looks and sounds so boring. (If you're expecting to hear gunshots, if not, gunshots are anything but boring.).
There is something so contentful about turning menial tasks into carefully perfected skillsets, like sitting down for some hours to make your shoes shine, spending days and days making aquarium fish thrive or assembling, reassembling, maintaining and marksmanship. Hones a sort of discipline and satisfaction from even the smallest of things, like sweeping the house
For me, a hobby of lights and fancifulness is one of distraction, not one where you can focus your mind

If you want home defense, odds are that a thief isn't coming in in kevlar plate, so a peashooter or some sort of barreled shotgun should be just fine. I don't really have a stance on gun control because I don't understand why people want this advanced weaponry when something that can deal with 3-4 intruders should be enough anyone needs.
It just sounds inane.
Higher power = more stopping power
Most stopping power = intruder is stopped fastest

And a dash of autism

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19342 on: June 12, 2016, 06:25:26 pm »

Yeah, I'll readily admit that a firearms hobby is stupid and dangerous, despite it being one of my own hobbies.  Like most hobbies, it's just something that a person likes doing, and is used to doing.  It just has the added traits that new people are inducted into all the time, through military and police service, and it's a pretty common myth that it's useful for self-defense.

People hate it being restricted 'cause not only is it like playing the aforementioned roguelike putting you in jail for years, but also 911 being disabled on your cellphone at the same time.  It isn't nearly like that, but people perceive it that way.

Even then, a shotgun's generally better than an AR.  The only real advantage of the AR is that it has a faster refire, but if that's seriously necessary you're probably already doing illegal things anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19343 on: June 12, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »

Beyond the maintenance, it's a really rather simple bit of hand/eye coordination practice that (usually) involves relatively little actual effort or exertion. It's enjoyable in the same way pretty much any physical activity that involves a modicum of skill is, with fewer of the normal personal downsides. Helps somewhat that the impacts are also usually quite... demonstrative, I guess, in a way not much else is.

It's fairly enjoyable as those sorts of activities go, it's just, y'know, relatively deadly for a hobby.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19344 on: June 12, 2016, 06:28:10 pm »

There is something so contentful about turning menial tasks into carefully perfected skillsets, like sitting down for some hours to make your shoes shine, spending days and days making aquarium fish thrive or assembling, reassembling, maintaining and marksmanship. Hones a sort of discipline and satisfaction from even the smallest of things, like sweeping the house
For me, a hobby of lights and fancifulness is one of distraction, not one where you can focus your mind

It just sounds inane.

And a dash of autism
1. Menial tasks are menial tasks. I want freshness and change in what I do, not routine and stagnation.

2. Sudden, violent introduction of an accelerated piece of metal to your body tends to dull reaction time and reflex for some odd reason. It's also unhealthy. Apply repeatedly until the intruder is gone, unless you happened to be using a shotgun, in which case he's probably something resembling the curtain in the other house's guest room the time I tried to use knives as grappling hooks to climb it.

3. Mmm, I don't think I've ever been compelled to play Dwarf Fortress to get rid of thoughts or overwhelming feelings. :P Insanity must be optional, but encouraged, then. 2/3, good score.
Right, I guess I'll just put that line of questioning in the "Just people's preferences" bin.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19345 on: June 12, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »

Home defense argument is asinine for anything beyond a hunting rifle. Unless you live in the Congo or some crap, I guess.

Guns (and military stuff in general) are pretty interesting. I can understand wanting to own a gun. I'd buy a howitzer if I could; howitzers are cool. But selling howitzers to the general population is a bad idea. Same with semi/automatic guns, unless you want your freedom to be riddled with bullets.

Local NRA member butting in: I heavily doubt the full-auto he used was a legal weapon. Any automatic in this country'll go for tens of thousands. As for the "modified semi-auto" cliche, again, tens of thousands. Under FOPA, drop-in auto sears (the thing you use to convert a semi-auto to an automatic) are also classified as machine guns. Ergo, any DIAS on the market was registered before 1986, and, due to low supply, will cost at minimum 10k.
Okay, that's interesting. Though my issue is that he was able to get his hands on it at all, not that it was expensive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19346 on: June 12, 2016, 06:35:30 pm »

If the guy was using a legally purchased fully automatic rifle, I will be amazed. They're not easy to come by and almost always come with background checks everywhere.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19347 on: June 12, 2016, 06:39:06 pm »

It just sounds inane.

And a dash of autism
1. Menial tasks are menial tasks. I want freshness and change in what I do, not routine and stagnation.

2. Sudden, violent introduction of an accelerated piece of metal to your body tends to dull reaction time and reflex for some odd reason. It's also unhealthy. Apply repeatedly until the intruder is gone, unless you happened to be using a shotgun, in which case he's probably something resembling the curtain in the other house's guest room the time I tried to use knives as grappling hooks to climb it.

3. Mmm, I don't think I've ever been compelled to play Dwarf Fortress to get rid of thoughts or overwhelming feelings. :P Insanity must be optional, but encouraged, then. 2/3, good score.
Right, I guess I'll just put that line of questioning in the "Just people's preferences" bin.

I once heard a hobby defined as a job you don't get paid for.  Menial is subjective. 
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19348 on: June 12, 2016, 06:43:27 pm »

Then you'll have to accept not everyone on the planet is you

If you fail to cause sufficient shock, mandem with metal in them is still operating. Takes nerve damage or a shit ton of shock to stop someone, more mass in bullet = more energy imparted = more shock
I'm not commenting on shotgun since that's an entire family of gun so results will vary depending on specifics

Home defense argument is asinine for anything beyond a hunting rifle. Unless you live in the Congo or some crap, I guess.
-Use your assault rifle for hunting
-Is now hunting rifle
gj

Guns (and military stuff in general) are pretty interesting. I can understand wanting to own a gun. I'd buy a howitzer if I could; howitzers are cool. But selling howitzers to the general population is a bad idea. Same with semi/automatic guns, unless you want your freedom to be riddled with bullets.
Imo gun control is its own argument and counter-argument. Disarmed populaces can't fight, so if the government wants to fuck them that's their prerogative, but at the same time disarmed populaces find it harder to fuck one another lethally, sticking to intimidation and hospitalization. Oh and knives and black market guns but that's a given

Okay, that's interesting. Though my issue is that he was able to get his hands on it at all, not that it was expensive.
Expensive means only rich people can get their hands on them, and rich people can get their hands on everything because money

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19349 on: June 12, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »

Imo gun control is its own argument and counter-argument. Disarmed populaces can't fight, so if the government wants to fuck them that's their prerogative, but at the same time disarmed populaces find it harder to fuck one another lethally, sticking to intimidation and hospitalization. Oh and knives and black market guns but that's a given
A government that doesn't have a monopoly on force can hardly be called a government.

Expensive means only rich people can get their hands on them, and rich people can get their hands on everything because money
The real solution is to kill all the rich people
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1288 1289 [1290] 1291 1292 ... 1342