Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546915 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18870 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:22 pm »

If over 50% of your audience is non-white, why would you employ only white writers instead of hiring people who can also write shows to appeal to the rest of your audience, or can work together with a diverse set of writers to try to make shows that appeal to more than just one demographic?
You don't have to be part of a demographic to write things that appeal to that demographic. Writers should be chosen for their skill in writing, not their sex or skin colour. Obviously there's overlap, but it's not like it's a guaranteed thing.

The threat of serious regional disruption and some big trouble for one of our few non-fairweather friends, plus all the American military personnel in the area is definitely non-trivial.
A better question would be "who would side with NK". WWI is a bad example because everyone was gearing for war anyway. With Korea, they're the only people who want war (and even then it's only really the leader, everyone else just wants food), and if they went for it they'd be immediately curbstomped by US+SK+Japan. China might want to get involved but the current chairman seems to be trying to move away from that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:09:10 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: June 03, 2016, 10:08:23 pm »

And just by some weird coincidence all the best writers are white.  Weird, right?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18872 on: June 03, 2016, 10:10:18 pm »

Is that actually the case though?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18873 on: June 03, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »

Oh so you agree with the policy then.

I'm sorry.  I completely judged you wrong.  I thought you were opposed to policies to diversify the talent pool.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: June 03, 2016, 10:12:39 pm »

...Okay, what just happened?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: June 03, 2016, 10:15:48 pm »

OW just expressed a sentiment that he thought it unlikely that all the best writers were white and said that he favored a policy to make sure the best people get hired.  I thought he opposed affirmative action but he just said it was important to make sure we hire the best and that the best is diverse.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18876 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »

I said the best might be diverse, and that it shouldn't really matter. If you're writing about life in a ghetto, bring in someone who knows about life in a ghetto. They might have lived there, they might have studied that sort of thing... does it matter if they're black or white or trans-asian Jew?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: June 03, 2016, 10:20:29 pm »

I said the best might be diverse,

Oh so you did mean that 97% of the best writers are white.  So I didn't misunderstand you.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: June 03, 2016, 10:20:58 pm »

I said the best might be diverse, and that it shouldn't really matter. If you're writing about life in a ghetto, bring in someone who knows about life in a ghetto. They might have lived there, they might have studied that sort of thing... does it matter if they're black or white or trans-asian Jew?
This, honestly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18879 on: June 03, 2016, 10:22:33 pm »

Oh so you did mean that 97% of the best writers are white.  So I didn't misunderstand you.
... what? I have no idea what proportion of the best writers are white. Why does it matter?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: June 03, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »

I imagine it's that mainiac is attributing the argument that you make to the argument that folks who hire screenwriters make

No, he has denounced that now.  He has changed his mind and now he is saying this:

1) He opposes the effort to diversify
2) He wants the best people hired

So he thinks that the status quo is the best people are getting hired.  The status quo is 97% of the writers are white.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18881 on: June 03, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »

The status quo is 97% of the writers are white.
Oh, okay. Do we have any evidence on why that is? Assuming it's institutional racism probably isn't the best approach.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:30:54 pm by Orange Wizard »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: June 03, 2016, 10:30:00 pm »

...Mainiac, did OW actually say he thought the current arrangements was actually the best one?
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: June 03, 2016, 10:33:22 pm »

...Mainiac, did OW actually say he thought the current arrangements was actually the best one?

He said that was the explanation for why the situation happened.  Well to be fair he said it might be the explanation.  So it is actually two logical branches.

Hypothetical 1) The explanation is that 97% of the best writers are white and he opposes the policy on those grounds.
Hypothetical 2) 97% of the best writers aren't white and he wants to see the best hired.

Personally I think 1 is very unlikely.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: June 03, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »

There are colorblind approaches to affirmative action that work.  The Texas state universities thing for instance.  The thing is they are actual affirmative action policies not people pretending the policy doesn't exist.

Affirmative action is basically identifying where the biggest gap is between potential and opportunity and correcting it.  And race is a REALLY good prediction of the gap between potential and opportunity.  But there are a lot of factors that are also predictors.  So if you put enough of those predictors into your affirmative action policy you can get the same results through a lot more work.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:46:42 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1342