Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546155 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18825 on: June 03, 2016, 07:57:25 am »

so far as I understand it a lot of American AA works like so:
That's... remarkably reasonable. Assuming if by applicant pool they mean qualified applicants, of course. Wouldn't want to encourage hiring some guy off the street just for the incentives.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: June 03, 2016, 08:01:36 am »

OW, I found more about that directive. A) It has passed the European Parliament, as of October 2015 it was still waiting validation by the Council. As far as I can see, it's still there.

B) It's much less strong that what you seemed to be thinking. Here is the relevant part:

The Commission proposal sets a quantitative objective of a 40% presence of the under-represented sex among
non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges by 2020. Companies with a lower share will be
required to make appointments on the basis of a comparative analysis of the qualification of candidates by applying
clear, gender-neutral and unambiguous criteria. This approach guarantees that qualification and merit remain
the key criteria for a job on the board. Only where two candidates are equally qualified, priority shall be given to the
candidate of the under-represented sex.

The Directive fully respects the principle of subsidiarity and offers considerable flexibility in choosing the means to
achieve that progress. It is for each Member State to define how it wishes to provide in its national legislation that
the selection for election or appointment to the posts of non-executive directors is to be carried out on the basis
of a comparative assessment. The criteria for board positions are to be established by the companies themselves.
It does not prescribe a “one size fits all solution” but recognises that some Member States have chosen or will still
choose another promising option for improving gender balance on company boards. It allows those Member States
to pursue this course and not apply the procedural requirements of the Directive on condition that their approach
delivers concrete results.
The measure is meant to be temporary and in principle is set to expire in 2028

So, it's not "employers always have to favour women when choosing from employee with the same qualification". It's "there is a soft quota of 40% for executive positions. If a company has less than 40% of one gender on its board, and is choosing from two equally-qualified people to promote, it must choose the one from the underrepresented gender, until the rule expire in 2028".

So yeah, your fear were mostly unfounded. Is that still "the kind of things you're protesting"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: June 03, 2016, 08:03:12 am »

Hey guys, here's a fun game.  Preface every one of Orange Wizards posts with "I'm not racist but..."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18828 on: June 03, 2016, 08:22:14 am »

Hey guys, here's a fun game.  Preface every one of Orange Wizards posts with "I'm not racist but..."
40% sure my whole thing here was "guys I don't think it's a good idea to counter prejudice with prejudice" which was eventually countered by "OW you dork it's not actually prejudice". When did I actually sound racist?

So yeah, your fear were mostly unfounded.
Apparently.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: June 03, 2016, 08:45:27 am »

As somebody who has been told in a job interview "There was a mistake. You are white, and we don't hire whites, so you might as well leave." and also told in a legal consultation that "Yes, your termination was fraudulent but there's no chance a jury's going to side with a man in a case like this" I can't help but think that there is a strong ivory tower effect going on here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: June 03, 2016, 08:59:42 am »

Yeah, I'd love to have source if that happens all the time. It seems to have to do with anti-dsicrimation statutes, not with AA too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2007-04-22/fear-of-firing

I have several instances of anecdotal evidence as well, but we all know how well that flies around here.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: June 03, 2016, 09:02:08 am »

How about some news to get back on topic? Maybe terrorism?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:54 am »

When did I actually sound racist?

Maybe the time when presented with a hypothetical candidate who was equally qualified you leapt to the assumption that certain people are going to be less qualified?  If your brain immediately jumps over the "equally qualified" people part then it's probably taking a certain shortcut...

Besides, it's not like I ever actually called you racist.  Why would you jump to such a ridiculous assumption?  Just because I talked about you in the context of racism and making preemptive judgement doesn't mean you can just label me like that.  What are you?  The Political Correctness police?

As somebody who has been told in a job interview "There was a mistake. You are white, and we don't hire whites, so you might as well leave." and also told in a legal consultation that "Yes, your termination was fraudulent but there's no chance a jury's going to side with a man in a case like this" I can't help but think that there is a strong ivory tower effect going on here.

Oooooh, please tell us more.  What amazing job opportunity did you miss out on?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:20:19 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: June 03, 2016, 11:11:27 am »

Besides, it's not like I ever actually called you racist.  Why would you jump to such a ridiculous assumption?
You came pretty close, though.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: June 03, 2016, 11:24:54 am »

Impressive levels of snoby assholery thread! Keep up the good work and I'll put everyone in for a promotion and you can all be Bay Watcher Level 2's
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18835 on: June 03, 2016, 11:30:28 am »

Impressive levels of snoby assholery thread! Keep up the good work and I'll put everyone in for a promotion and you can all be Bay Watcher Level 2's

I'm a bay watcher, I'm a bay watcher
Watchin' bays go by, hey, my my
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18836 on: June 03, 2016, 11:42:34 am »

Oooooh, please tell us more.  What amazing job opportunity did you miss out on?

Acutally, I'd love more details too if you don't mind sharing them, and I say this without mainiac's snark.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: June 03, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »

I don't have time to finish reading the rest of the most recent page before I run back to work from lunch, so I don't know if the discussion has moved on yet... but it doesn't look like it will.  And this affirmative action conversation is frustrating as shit to read.

This isn't complicated.

You can't just completely fuck up a group of people's shit for hundreds of years, and then expect them to have equal opportunity as soon as the practice of actively fucking up their shit ceases.  Their shit will still be fucked up for some time, and it will remain fucked up for a very long time if they're left to fix their shit on their own with the negligible resources they have available to them when you suddenly decide to be hands off.

If society were a footrace, it would be like breaking the competition's kneecaps, and then expecting them to be able to keep up with you just because you're no longer actively in the process of breaking their kneecaps.

And yes, actively taking steps to fix huge social problems is messy work, no matter what the subject.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:12:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18838 on: June 03, 2016, 12:17:30 pm »

You can't just completely fuck up a group of people's shit for hundreds of years, and then expect them to have equal opportunity as soon as the practice of actively fucking up their shit ceases.  Their shit will still be fucked up for some time, and it will remain fucked up for a very long time if they're left to fix their shit on their own with the negligible resources they have available to them when you suddenly decide to be hands off.

Also, their shit is still being fucked up.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: June 03, 2016, 12:52:57 pm »

Acutally, I'd love more details too if you don't mind sharing them, and I say this without mainiac's snark.

Wasn't anything special - just boxing up auto parts for shipment at a local reseller. That's not the point. The point is that it was a job, and (just like the soldering job I was refused explicitly because I'm not a woman, or when the manager at my last long-term employer manufactured a harassment incident so I wouldn't be in a position to expose their sabotage of the company for personal gain) it was an open-and-shut case of direct discrimination that is treated as perfectly OK because of "white male privilege", and objecting to it gets people slandered as racist or sexist. It's an ivory-tower effect where analyzing the Big Picture has a tendency to ignore a lot of what you see at ground level.

This is why you hear so many things like "if you intellectuals don't like it, I don't give a shit. There's a lot more of us common folk then there ever will be of you", and a big reason it is so hard to sell a lot of ideas to Flyover Country.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1342