Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545752 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18765 on: June 02, 2016, 10:15:18 pm »

I...I don't... HELP MY BRAIN IS MELTING
IKR, I'm pretty sure some friendly fire is happening already.  Just going to sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Though I guess my WTF is that my dad's visiting day after tomorrow, and I've barely started cleaning.  Instead I'm fondly regarding internet arguments and Netflix (while getting some work done but nothing time-sensitive...)

Fakedit:  Haha that's a lot of replies
Dude, this is the POLITICS megathread.

Yup.  WTF indeed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18766 on: June 02, 2016, 10:17:37 pm »

I said before I'm complaining about people who talk as though people are terrible because they're Christian, white, or male. Which is blatant prejudice. And now you're defending it because "mumble mumble historic oppression mumble mumble". Fuck that shit. You're not guilty because of your demographic.
Prejudice = racism - power
You're not guilty, you're just privileged of belonging to a demographic that means you benefit from a system built by your demographic to benefit your demographic over those who are not of it

Well that makes sense I guess. I don't think it's really idealistically sound though. Still seems like trying to make 2 wrongs into a right by unfairly treating some groups to make up for past unfair treatment of other groups.

The dart analogy is good and makes sense, but real life and society isn't just a game of darts.
Good thing affirmative action isn't darts - that was just an analogy
On a scale from 1 to max how shitpost-y are you right now LW?  :P

Dude, this is the POLITICS megathread.

Yup.  WTF indeed.
Politics thread talking about politics. Who woulda thunk it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18767 on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:26 pm »

Trump continues to attack the ethnicity of the judge in the Trump University case

Interesting tactic, constantly insult the judge before your trial. What a genius. Definite presidential material.
Conteeeeeempt.  Chaaaaaarge.

@Spehss_:Did you notice the post I quoted?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18768 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:39 pm »

Ah yes, generalize about groups you never met.  ::)  Way too show that you are better then these strawmen.
Hold up, now. I was generalizing about groups I have met, for what it's worth. Have had entirely too much interaction with people on pretty much every side of this subject, from the employers to the employees, dissatisfied and otherwise, and there are incredibly and annoyingly consistent patterns coming from folks that complain about AA, particularly when they invoke good ol' reverse racism (fun fact, more than once I've watched -- different, even -- people start loudly ranting about that in the middle of a classroom, among other places). If these are strawmen I've been running into entirely too many wizard of oz characters walking around. 'Course there's exceptions and whatnot, but was describing trends as I'm aware of and (even moreso) have encountered (over and over and goddamn over again; mentioning AA or political correctness or anything of that sort in a room full of north floridians is either one of the quicker ways to cause shit to go down I'm aware of or I have been incredibly goddamn unlucky).

There could, of course, always be some regional influence going on. I've been in other parts of the country and talked to plenty of folks from 'em, but I've stayed in a particular one and it's definitely one that's going to make some of this shit more prevalent. Will admit I get irritated enough when folks start saying that whole less qualified spiel I start forgetting proper clarification an' crap. S'the frustration of not being able to say anything about it offline (due to it being either social or literal suicide) coming through.

They don't, generally, but individual employers certainly can be prejudiced in... any direction, really. Frumple seems to be buying into the rhetoric that all employers are racist against backs because ??? and as such it's much harder to get a job without being favoured specifically for your race.
The hell? If that's what came across I've definitely miscommunicated somewhere. The "rhetoric" (and experience) I buy into is that employers regularly demonstrate racist (and others, of course, but we were talking about something specific) biases (particularly if there's not some kind of check on them), not all of 'em and not always, but regularly and prevalently enough to treat the group as a whole. The against blacks thing is relatively US specific, and not entirely limited to that minority group, either.

The reasons are all over the bloody place, and varies from person to person and region to region, so far as the US goes, but it's common enough (and targeted enough) specific attempts to mitigate it is, y'know, often a pretty good idea. Especially when an organization has identified they've actually had a problem in regards to that sort of thing, which is one of the major reasons AA-style programs start getting implemented so far as I'm aware. Lot of folks are going to have a much easier time than they should of passing over people they probably shouldn't have without some kind of conscious effort (be it from themselves or their supervisors or whatever) to arrest the inclination.

... and @MSH, the evopsych comment was because you said there was something clear about evolutionary benefits, which is one of the myriad major things commonly wrong with the field. The second you say there's anything clear about what caused a specific evolutionary trait to develop and maintain is the second you need to stop, go back and go over how evolution works again, and then rethink what you said, because the only way to actually confirm that shit is with a gorram time machine. At least with humans, as of yet, any supposition of that sort is at least as likely to be wrong as it is right. Y'wanna' make the claim off more standard sorts o' psych paradigms or whatev', go right ahead, just leave the evo bullshit and preferably everything that spawned from it out of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18769 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:30 pm »

Prejudice = racism - power
You're not guilty, you're just privileged of belonging to a demographic that means you benefit from a system built by your demographic to benefit your demographic over those who are not of it
I'd better contact The System's helpdesk to see if they can get me a job. Can't have poor white people going around undermining the narrative.
You don't control the narrative OW, besides if you were a poor black man you'd be shot in some ghetto

They kicked us out.  :'( We lost PRIME LOWER CLASS REAL ESTATE IN NEW YORK, and all for wanting to stay loyal to the King instead of a bunch of upstart whippersnappers. Banished to unsettled but decently farmable land in the frozen north (provided for free because we were white instead of getting settled in a segregated community in Nova Scotia).
And you want reparations? What for, your ancestors supported the conquered and still made it out all right
If everyone tried seeking reparations for all their ancestors war antics only lawyers wouldn't starve, and we'd have the most amusing situations where mixed race people will have to sue themself for reparations. Tis very silly, you gotta push for reparations while it's still in living memory not when it's ancient past, or if it's super genocidal
Though perhaps within some limit, all the sons of Genghis Khan would be fucked

'm still not entirely sure who is doing that besides like maybe a hundred to a thousand people who are a distinct minority of the voices I ever hear. Like, seriously, the people you are talking about are people I almost never actually encounter. The people I FAR MORE OFTEN encounter are people who are only joking about it. Who are then attacked on the internet for making jokes about it. Because every single time anyone makes a joke about white people I see a hundred randos jump down their throat about it, and use them as examples to point at as though they were being serious.
Like, damn, where are all the anti-censorship people for them?
You've never met anyone who thought white people were terrible? What a strange world you live in

On a scale from 1 to max how shitpost-y are you right now LW?  :P
I dunno, 5? 1...? Depends I suppose how you define that. Why?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18770 on: June 02, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »

I'm still not entirely sure who is doing that
Um
These people are all over
Like, really
To be fair most are tumblr-related but this stuff is also gaining traction in education and policy-making. Bigoted progressivism is definitely a real thing.

The "rhetoric" (and experience) I buy into is that employers regularly demonstrate racist (and others, of course, but we were talking about something specific) biases (particularly if there's not some kind of check on them), not all of 'em and not always, but regularly and prevalently enough to treat the group as a whole. The against blacks thing is relatively US specific, and not entirely limited to that minority group, either.
Employers as a demographic are generally biased against minorities [citation needed] so we should legislate that they must be biased in the other direction.

Yup, nothing could possibly go wrong here.

The reasons are all over the bloody place, and varies from person to person and region to region, so far as the US goes, but it's common enough (and targeted enough) specific attempts to mitigate it is, y'know, often a pretty good idea.
So we want equality of outcome, then, and not opportunity? Why don't we just get the government to put everyone into jobs where they'd be most suited and pay them all the same?

You don't control the narrative OW, besides if you were a poor black man you'd be shot in some ghetto
The privilege to not get shot is pretty decent, I like it
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18771 on: June 02, 2016, 10:30:55 pm »

Um
These people are all over
Like, really
To be fair most are tumblr-related but this stuff is also gaining traction in education and policy-making. Bigoted progressivism is definitely a real thing.
It's not bigoted OW, you've already lost and it's cemented in education. GG m8 get with the current year

Employers as a demographic are generally biased against minorities [citation needed] so we should legislate that they must be biased in the other direction.
Yup, nothing could possibly go wrong here.
That's why you regulate the regulators, thus funding a class of bureaucrats to keep the machine smooth

So we want equality of outcome, then, and not opportunity? Why don't we just get the government to put everyone into jobs where they'd be most suited and pay them all the same?
Watch when the government's profiles for who is assorted to what job turns out to be racist and sexist then m9

The privilege to not get shot is pretty decent, I like it
Give it to black people

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18772 on: June 02, 2016, 10:32:06 pm »

@Spehss:Did you notice the post I quoted?
Oh. Ooooh. Was that was sarcasm you were using ok my bad man.

We need a universal font for displaying sarcasm in text. I nominate comic sans.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18774 on: June 02, 2016, 10:36:36 pm »

Sadly, my phone doesn't have Comic Sans.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18775 on: June 02, 2016, 10:40:42 pm »

The way I see it, there should be no universal sarcasm font. Either you risk Poe's Law or you just not use Sarcasm, therefore making the world a better place

Let us not discriminate against autistics who have trouble reading emotional cues, then compound that through the emotionless void of written language

1. Insert Male Privilege
2. Receive Quality of Life.

• Women are institutionally barred from the armed forces, thus resulting in less of them dying due to male privilege
  • Women commit suicide in ways that are less successful, more for a cry to help - men finish the job with gravity, gun and noose more than not. Also down the road, not across the street! Shit you not, but amongst my lad m8s we were all independently taught this by male figures in our lives, Cadet leaders, fathers, teachers, medic instructors e.t.c.. Might be a cultural thing but for London men, suicide is important, you have to get it right if you're gonna do it. 1/5 m8s
  • Oil rig work and the like also pays massive dollar. High work risk, high pay
  • Child custody... Eh, I got nothing
  • Most murderers are also men
  • The percentage of women in prison should be 0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18776 on: June 02, 2016, 10:41:27 pm »

Sadly, my phone doesn't have Comic Sans.

I thought Georgia was the designated sarcasm font?

If you're into that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:43:11 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18777 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:57 pm »

I just use sarcasm and let the reader figure out how much there is.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18778 on: June 02, 2016, 10:47:58 pm »

We really shouldn't use something obvious like strikethrough...
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18779 on: June 02, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »

I'm totally not sarcastic because I'm literally not being sarcastic
Pages: 1 ... 1250 1251 [1252] 1253 1254 ... 1342