Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545084 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18690 on: June 01, 2016, 01:57:15 pm »

She is already living in the post-six word era.  It's something that is built into her brand by now, like Trump and outlandish statements.  For something to rock Clinton it would need to be something not built in, like her being outlandish.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18691 on: June 01, 2016, 02:26:04 pm »

Donald Trump is not The Doctor.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: June 01, 2016, 02:51:28 pm »

Donald Trump is not The Doctor.

You completely misunderstand. Trump is not the doctor. Trump is the aliens wanting to take over the earth, if anything. Somewhere out there though there is the possibility that a few choice words at the right time, in the right place would cause things to tumble down for her. Hell, maybe as mainiac said that already has happened. She's fighting hard enough to get past her previous mistakes. She does look tired.

The point is though, she's put all her eggs in this basket, if she loses now, against an opponent like trump, it's all over for her. Admittedly she's old enough, and rich enough that doesn't matter, she'll be comfortable either way, but her ego will take a hit. Trump loses nothing by losing. She loses everything by losing. And the media is largely in control of who wins or loses, thus she is very careful with the parts of her public character she can control. Donald don't give a duck.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18693 on: June 01, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »

Quote from: DPRK
"Rain Day best dog" like a stick chudeok chudeok jaktae raises even beyond "compassion" reverse sense.
Pfffft
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18694 on: June 01, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »

Quote from: DPRK
"Rain Day best dog" like a stick chudeok chudeok jaktae raises even beyond "compassion" reverse sense.
Pfffft

Google translate is a hell of a drug.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18695 on: June 01, 2016, 03:22:44 pm »

She's fighting hard enough to get past her previous mistakes. She does look tired.

I wouldn't really say she is fighting past.  Honestly, she does best when people think she is tired and worn down.  Look at the bump she got before the New Hampshire primary in 2008.  It's just what her brand is.  Hillary is the established politician.  Trump is the demagogue.  Either can be good or bad.  You can have an elder statesman or a Washington insider.  You can have an outsider reformer or an unqualified blowhard.

The six words thing in my mind only makes sense as mind games.  The prime minister can be manipulated because of a neurotic fear of the unknown.  But Clinton has been on the receiving end of really vile attacks for a long time.  I doubt a mind game like that would work on her because she learned to shut them out like 30 years ago after Whitewater.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:27:23 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18696 on: June 01, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »

Trump loses by losing. How would his ego take it? Not well, I suspect.

Edit:
Polarization of news is not new, but its failure to ask the candidate tough questions — the ones that might cause him to refuse to call in to your morning show or provide hours of free TV content — will be the legacy of Campaign 2016.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:42:27 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18697 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:28 pm »

I think his ego would be completely unfazed. His ego didn't get dented when he was roundly laughed out of his last presidential exploration. Today he'd just offload the responsibility for failure on to everyone else, calling everyone a loser.

Somehow I still can't believe that a guy who uses 5th grade bully logic somehow has a shot at being president.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:05:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:22 pm »

It's the natural way of humanity. Truth is, everyone loves a bully, it elevates the group at the expense of the outgroup and is thus advantageous behavior.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »

Trump loses by losing. How would his ego take it? Not well, I suspect.

What exactly does he lose?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: June 01, 2016, 07:58:17 pm »

Possibly his sanity.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: June 01, 2016, 09:18:40 pm »

It's the natural way of humanity. Truth is, everyone loves a bully, it elevates the group at the expense of the outgroup and is thus advantageous behavior.

Over-generalizing much?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18702 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »

He should have said everybody except for NEEEEERDS
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:27 pm »

Over-generalizing much?
It is, after all, a general statement. The evolutionary benefits of groupmaking is clear, and to have a group, you have to have an outgroup.

This isn't my attempt at being edgy, but it is the way that the world is. You'd be ill-pressed to find someone who doesn't want to engage in behavior that, from the perspective of their outgroup, is bullying. People have been horrible to me, I have been horrible to others, and never have I so much as heard of someone who was isolated from the way we organize ourselves. It's not judgement on our species, or anything.

If you want to understand The Don, then this is how.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18704 on: June 01, 2016, 10:32:49 pm »

Sweet zeus he's unironically spewing evopsych. Not even the gods can save him now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 1342