Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545804 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18270 on: May 24, 2016, 07:18:36 am »

Um, you're comparing votes. Andux was talking about delegates.

No shit, sherlock.

Even looking at delegates, 2 and 8% aren't similar this far in the race.

Well the California primary was earlier in 2008.  So being 2% behind did mean that Clinton needed like 70% win in the 3 remaining states.  On the other hand it's statistically easier to pull a massive upset in 3 small states then to pull an upset in a larger number of votes.

also, having the co-chair of a candidate's earlier campaign in charge of the DNC when the same candidate is running again seems like a major conflict of interest.

Yes because Bernie Sanders is a parasite trying to hijack the democratic party it's unfair for Hillary to have any past with the democratic party.

In 2008 the DNC chair was someone who had endorsed Obama.  This is the way these things happen.  The people running democratic party shit are democrats!  The only reason this stuff never favors Bernie is because he has spent decades hating on democrats.  He has run his entire campaign on attacking the democratic party because he is the one true outsider.  But it's a sin not to be Bernie Sanders....

It's called sour grapes.  You say that you dont want what you can't have and you say that people who have what you dont have suck.  And the fact that in 2008 when the race was actually close, Clinton faced far worse rulings then Sanders has faced is much stronger evidence of that then the bullshit the Bernie Bros tried to pull in Nevada.  Clinton actually lost a race by the margin of the rules.  Anyone who tells you that Sanders lost a race by the margin of the rules is an idiot a liar or both.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:22:56 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18271 on: May 24, 2016, 07:27:51 am »

No shit, sherlock.
So, what relevance do the votes have? Does the number of delegates not decide the outcome?

Yes because Bernie Sanders is a parasite trying to hijack the democratic party it's unfair for Hillary to have any past with the democratic party.
Average troll

What other party is Colonel Sanders going to run for? GOP? Hah. Ahah.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18272 on: May 24, 2016, 07:34:28 am »

how can maiaic be the most obviously salty one here when it's his candidate who won
like seriously dude, everyone knows who's gonna win
you can stop rubbing it in now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18273 on: May 24, 2016, 07:50:04 am »

Egan_BW: He doesn't know how to be diplomatic? But being a jerk just drives other people to be jerks right back.

If you counted Michigan's primary, which was discounted by the democratic party*, then Clinton won the popular vote.
Honestly I'll admit I'm kinda being a dick and rubbing it in here.  But it seems like again and again people just argue from bullshit and wishful thinking.

YOUR OPINION IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

*Wait they took votes away from Clinton?  It's almost like the DNC has rules and doesn't give people special treatment, even if they are Hillary Clinton.  It's almost like accusing the process of being rigged is a steaming pile of horseshit.

They didn't take votes away from Hillary, friendo. Michigan broke the rules and moved its primary forward before Feb 5, and the DNC punished them for it by stripping them of their delegates. Obama and most of the other candidates removed their names from the ballot; Hillary did not, and neither Obama nor Hillary campaigned in Michigan.

Eventually, their delegates were restored and given half-votes. (Florida, of course, also moved their primary, was punished for it, and had their delegates restored with half-votes before the convention. Nobody removed their names from Florida's ballot, though, because they don't allow that without also withdrawing from the general election)

Plus Hillary was fine with them being punished until she realized she was losing.

(Look it up on wikipedia if you think I'm wrong)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18274 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:18 am »

Average troll
S'also not really an accurate portrayal, as should be fair obvious by the extent of support he has recieved. It's not entirely hijacking when a lot of the bus wanted to take that left, anyway. Coalitions and whatnot are also a thing, and you can't really call it parasitism when it's the system basically working as designed. Bloody parties have been built so that third party candidates basically have to do what Sanders is to get anything worth mentioning done.

Also not an entirely inaccurate one either, though. Sanders is pretty explicitly trying to push the democratic dialogue in a direction that doesn't have majority support. If our election system wasn't as shit as it is at representing chunks of the electorate, he both wouldn't be running democrat and wouldn't need to to get dialogue/representation out there that a lot of the party wants to see, cause he'd be running third party and folks would be able to vote for 'm without running an even greater chance of being functionally disenfranchised than they already are just voting straight ticket.

Also pretty sure m's not trying to rub it in (entirely  anyway, they've been doing that explicitly, occasionally, too), just pissed people keep trying to frame the victory as illegitimate rather than actually what more people in the party they're campaigning for wants. And the latter really does seem to be what's happening. I don't think there'd be near as much griping if people were just lamenting the loss.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:55:57 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18275 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:37 am »

how can maiaic be the most obviously salty one here when it's his candidate who won
Now, now...don't put words in his mouth. I'm sure he meant "parasite" and "hijack" in the nicest way.

And the part where he said he's being a dick and trying to rub it in should be taken metaphorically. Probably meant he was masturbating.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18276 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:36 am »

Now, now...don't put words in his mouth. I'm sure he meant "parasite" and "hijack" in the nicest way.

And the part where he said he's being a dick and trying to rub it in should be taken metaphorically. Probably meant he was masturbating.

The Emperor would approve:

Personally, I'd rather not.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18277 on: May 24, 2016, 09:51:00 am »

NaCl
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18278 on: May 24, 2016, 10:12:36 am »

The Emperor would approve:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personally, I'd rather not.
Masturb-hating?

Anyways, Sanders announced his picks for the DNC platform committee:

Dr. Cornel West (outspoken activist)
Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN)
Bill McKibben (environmentalist)
James Zogby (head of the Arab American Institute and pro-Palestinian activist)
Deborah Parker (Native American activist)

Two black guys, an Arab-American, a Native American and one white guy. But y'know..#BernieSoWhite.  ::)

Gonna be interesting to see the fireworks when it comes to the platform planks on Israel and on minimum wage (Ellison co-sponsored legislation for a $15 minimum wage, and was the first Muslim member of Congress).

Clinton's slate is:

Wendy Sherman (diplomat -- former Deputy Secretary of State, chief nuclear negotiator with Iran and North Korea)
Neera Tanden (former Clinton staffer and head of the Center for American Progress)
Rep. Alicia Reece (D-OH)
Carol Browner (environmentalist)
Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL)
Paul Booth (executive with the AFSCME union)

Somewhat more establishment, but not bad. Gutierrez is a legit progressive, and Booth at least has progressive roots. Reece is a little bit of a head-scratcher, as she doesn't have much of a track record. Tanden and Sherman are cogs in the previous Clinton administration.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18279 on: May 24, 2016, 10:21:28 am »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18280 on: May 24, 2016, 10:37:06 am »

Two black guys, an Arab-American, a Native American and one white guy. But y'know..#BernieSoWhite.  ::)

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2016/05/yes_bernie_sanders_the_system_is_rigged_what_else_is_new.html

Bernie might be the white guy in the car now, but he only became that way because a loud minority (pun maybe intended) told him he had to be. Before a certain group made it very clear what he was "supposed" to be doing, he was pretty quiet on the racial issues, prefering to let his past speak for itself. But apparently some people can't learn and forget history so... yeah.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18281 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:56 am »

... preferring to let his rhetoric blame racial issues on class based ones, you mean. Last I checked, that was most of what pissed minorities off regarding sanders, just being kinda' tone deaf to what's really goddamn clearly issues of racism as least as much as it is anything else, whereas sanders likes to play up the economic side of things fairly substantially. And hey, as you noted, he changed his tune somewhat once people actually started meaningfully complaining about it. Bit late, especially considering clinton's head start in that area, but still.

Credit where it's due -- and it is due, to be clear on it -- but don't oversell sanders on that front, either. He did, actually, kinda' legitimately fuck up insofar as connecting with certain demographics go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18282 on: May 24, 2016, 10:59:51 am »

Way to miss the point of the article. It is about how "holy shit tear the system down" does not resonate with black voters. Not Bernie's stance on race issues specifically.

Though I'm entertained by "black people aren't voting for Bernie because they have short memories" or whatever you're implying here. Seems like a new variant.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18283 on: May 24, 2016, 11:11:49 am »

... preferring to let his rhetoric blame racial issues on class based ones, you mean. Last I checked, that was most of what pissed minorities off regarding sanders, just being kinda' tone deaf to what's really goddamn clearly issues of racism as least as much as it is anything else, whereas sanders likes to play up the economic side of things fairly substantially. And hey, as you noted, he changed his tune somewhat once people actually started meaningfully complaining about it. Bit late, especially considering clinton's head start in that area, but still.

Credit where it's due -- and it is due, to be clear on it -- but don't oversell sanders on that front, either. He did, actually, kinda' legitimately fuck up insofar as connecting with certain demographics go.

I'll disagree with you there. While it might be true on an isolated, local level and while much of the poverty that exists today has roots in racist policies from the last century and thus overly affects minorities, it is pretty clearly a problem that exists among all races to some extent and fixing the economic issues would go a long way to helping fix attitudes in other areas.

I'll fully admit I don't think Sanders would be able to fix the economic issues behind it given the politics involved and the actual abilities of a Presdient, I think that's the right approach to take anyway.

Way to miss the point of the article. It is about how "holy shit tear the system down" does not resonate with black voters. Not Bernie's stance on race issues specifically.

Though I'm entertained by "black people aren't voting for Bernie because they have short memories" or whatever you're implying here. Seems like a new variant.

"Black people are/aren't *" Is the problem here. Yeah yeah yeah, when you're running on a national level you basically have to go by demographics and numbers and sort everyone into groups rather than individuals. But I've seen half a dozen conflicting explanations about why Black people are or aren't doing something(Mostly involving their attitudes towards Bernie or Hillary) this election cycle. It's not a unified voting bloc and while you might use the polling data to glean some info, it's stupid to think there's some magic "Baa Ram Ewe" phrase to "Get the black people vote." Someone convinced Bernie there was...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18284 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:05 am »

In my opinion, it was more a self-fulfilling prophecy. We were all told that BernieBros are only a bunch of spoiled white college kids, no black people at those rallies, nope no siree. And so then the black electorate hears that repeated over and over, and mostly tunes him out. While Hillary's team carefully positions every black person they can find so that they show up for maximal exposure in the press shots.

What it boils down to is that Sanders didn't play the image game well enough. And the Clintons are masters of it.

Pages: 1 ... 1217 1218 [1219] 1220 1221 ... 1342