Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547382 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18030 on: May 18, 2016, 06:32:43 pm »

Supposed to be putting out an economic policy plan by the end of week after next. Should be interesting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: May 18, 2016, 07:16:27 pm »

Oh god, that will be like Aprils fools in may.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »

Hope it's a little more substantial/interesting then I'll make the bestest decisions because I'm really intelligent & will hire the right people & china/mexicans/rest of the world is stealing American jobs but I'm going to change all that but without giving you any solid details about how. The man is seriously a satire of himself. I'm being sarcastic & yet I suspect his own statements will out do my ridicule.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:20:55 pm by wobbly »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: May 18, 2016, 07:20:53 pm »

I have a very important and serious question: does the hover platform support more betterness?
It supports at least my body weight of betterness, plus the bouncy girl campaigners betterness on theirs.
Spoiler: Orange Wizard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cruxador (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amperzand (click to show/hide)
More Neutralness is a fundamentally flawed view when compared to More Betterness, which is why I support a policy of As Much Neutralness As We Had Before.
I do not discriminate based on pH, I feel that this will help me with voters who have recently been dunked in HCl or lye. While I feel lying is wrong, lye-americans are entitled to their lifestyle choices, foolish and painful as they may be.

Vote Me 2016: H+ for everyone!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: May 18, 2016, 07:34:46 pm »

I have a very important and serious question: does the hover platform support more betterness?
It supports at least my body weight of betterness, plus the bouncy girl campaigners betterness on theirs.
Hmm. How much do you weigh?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: May 18, 2016, 07:41:08 pm »

Hmm. How much do you weigh?
More than I used to. *pats gut* I'm also a big fan of home cooked meals, mother-in-law was like "this boy is too skinny, here's some ribs and apple pie" and I was like 'FUCK YEAH!' *omnomnom* apparently.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18036 on: May 18, 2016, 08:27:31 pm »

How do you determine the temperature of points with no measurements?
Measure them, obviously

Would it make sense to compare various predicted temperatures at those locations produced by various models with observations taken at those locations?
Would you expect this sort of thing to be done regularly
Yes

My real point though is that it is a calculated value which doesn't uniquely represent some aspect of the climate system
It represents the overall temperature of the planet

I've long since discovered that trying to do this is futile. The fact that it is discussed in terms of a consensus should have been the giveaway, but I'm dense. You don't change a political position with science, and trying to argue politics on the merits of science goes nowhere.
Yeah rising temperatures are all politically motivated, definitely no solid science and observations involved

It was for a school project ... I set it up in the bathroom

This was before it clicked that I was wasting time trying to argue science in a political discussion, of course.
I'm sure it's because all the scientists involved are disgusting treehuggers too, your bathroom science is 100% as reliable as any professional studies

*vague scary sounding stuff without even a chart to point at*
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: May 18, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »

I like the longer term graph. it really shows the connection. Pictured Glacial and Inter glacial periods shown by tempriture over the last 450,000 years and CO2 concentrations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you could also look at it simmply as a disruption of the dynamic equilibrium of the energy balance. see diagram below.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:45 pm »

The problem with the first graph is that humans aren't programmed to see a thin vertical line (right at the end) and think "holy shit!"  It takes years of rigorous training to make people crap their pants if they see that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18039 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:54 pm »

Trump hires one of McCains VP vetting guys, who picked Palin....

My only comment here is Lol......

Still though, the choice was ultimately McCains then....

Though I probably wouldn't have hired anybody who was behind that disastrous decision.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:11:09 pm by smjjames »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:49 pm »

Reply to Max spoilered for length, rambling & semi off topic.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:20:13 pm by wobbly »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »

I've long since discovered that trying to do this is futile. The fact that it is discussed in terms of a consensus should have been the giveaway, but I'm dense. You don't change a political position with science, and trying to argue politics on the merits of science goes nowhere.

This was before it clicked that I was wasting time trying to argue science in a political discussion, of course.
Perhaps it was symptomatic of the "science" you were doing not being very good, rather than a corrupt system that ignores alternate views.

You had two different arrangements of heating/cooling, which gave different results. If you heat something all the time, there's twice as much time for the residual heat to actively dissipate. I'm not sure what you are saying about this in relation to climate science. Because they don't measure the "sunlight" power in some abstract way and then estimate temperatures, they measure temperatures directly.

Using a light bulb for the sun, and filling a small room with CO2 from a coke bottle to try and prove or disprove something about atmospheric CO2 frankly has nothing to do with the actual phenomena. The greenhouse effect happens because of visible light and UV emissions which should escape into space, which get absorbed by CO2 and re-emitted as infra-red energy, much of it back in the direction of Earth. In other words, space is a "vent" for a lot of light energy, and CO2 prevents light energy from being vented. With your sealed room, 100% of the light is turned into heat energy already. CO2 can't increase a 100% conversion rate.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:58:37 pm by Reelya »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: May 18, 2016, 10:06:23 pm »

The problem with the first graph is that humans aren't programmed to see a thin vertical line (right at the end) and think "holy shit!"  It takes years of rigorous training to make people crap their pants if they see that.

Really?... because I have no such training, and it's the most obvious thing on the graph to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18043 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »

By "years of rigorous training" he means "learning about graphs in middle school".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:24 pm »

Really?... because I have no such training, and it's the most obvious thing on the graph to me.

Your a different generation to me, many voters, & many people in the world. As someone who was always good at maths & knows many others who aren't the most obvious things about the graph is the origin isn't 0-0, I have to look at it for a while & think to actually work out what it means (to my mind a good habit whether you understand it or not) & if I succeed at the 2nd part I'd probably be at a loss to try to explain it to someone who just does not get it.

Edit: Scratch the different generation bit. From memory you're the same. Have a think about people you know & see if you get what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:20:11 pm by wobbly »
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1342