Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547743 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18015 on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:09 pm »

The whole thing reminds me of this bullshit in 2012.
Holy shit that's fucking bullshit.

Honestly any form of voting which requires both sides to yell like schoolkids is pretty bullshit. You'd think that a more efficient way of doing things would exist, but apparently not. Paper ballots may take a lot of time to vote and count, but at least you get a better idea of what people want instead of those who are the loudest.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »

Hey, when you have to elect a politician what do you expect?
That's the beauty of it. Donald Trump isn't actually a politician. And he is still an ass.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18017 on: May 18, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »

Honestly any form of voting which requires both sides to yell like schoolkids is pretty bullshit. You'd think that a more efficient way of doing things would exist, but apparently not. Paper ballots may take a lot of time to vote and count, but at least you get a better idea of what people want instead of those who are the loudest.

Well, the same method is used in Congress as well. It works pretty well when you follow procedure. It speeds up the inconsequential votes like starting and ending the session and various other little housekeeping things that by procedure have to be put to a vote but congress at least does generally go for a roll call vote on anything important or divisive. And as was pointed out in that 2012 video. If it's not an obvious and clear majority (2/3 as mentioned by that guy) it should be put down to a count of some sort.

It's just when they start doing shit like the 2012 video or the Nevada stuff, that's when you start asking the tough questions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: May 18, 2016, 05:20:32 pm »

Indeed...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: May 18, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »

It's still better than the "voting sticks" some state legislatures (e.g. Tennessee) use. I wish I was making this up, but they use sticks to try click each other's voting buttons before they can get to them. It's an arm's race of who can have the longest stick rather than the best argument. This is slight hyperbole about an "arms race". but the sticks do exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbRKxCN__aw

They're crooks, and they're fat and lazy crooks while they're at it, because they can't even be bothered to get off their lazy asses to rig the vote.

And these same people brought in voter ID restrictions because of "voter fraud" at the polls, which doesn't seem to actually happen.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:34:42 pm by Reelya »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: May 18, 2016, 05:30:22 pm »

\(TL;DR: Disregard procedure, acquire boos).

More like try to overturn democracy, get slapped down, get butthurt.  This is the fucking bullshit.  When they dont get special treatment they claim they are victims.

Eh, according to some of the stuff linked earlier they do have some valid grievances. They followed the procedure to get some of the rules changed weeks before the convention and apparently were completely ignored by the person in charge (who would lose power according the rules changes they want)

While some of their stuff does seem like whining to me, objections to a single person getting full control of the process and then refusing to give up any of that control seems reasonable to me. You don't get democracy from a despot.

I have no idea if the changes they had put in for would have changed the outcome or not, but the fact that they attempted to follow the procedures and were shut out of the process despite that...that's really fishy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: May 18, 2016, 05:40:25 pm »

While some of their stuff does seem like whining to me, objections to a single person getting full control of the process and then refusing to give up any of that control seems reasonable to me. You don't get democracy from a despot.

Let's turn this argument around...

While some of her stuff does seem like whining to me, objections to a bunch of diehards getting full control of the process and then refusing to give up any of that control seems reasonable to me.  You dont get democracy from people who silence other voices and throw out election results.

The problem with the bullshit is that everything ALWAYS hinges on one sided arguments.  Sanders has gotten away with things that would get anyone without such a diehard following banned from the party.  He gets treated with kid gloves and then whines that he is mistreated.  He doesn't support down ticket, he doesn't denounce people who do shit like this which is horrible optics for the party and then there's that whole stealing campaign info.  But it's always the other guys fault.  Sanders can do no wrong.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: May 18, 2016, 05:41:21 pm »

See... this bothers me.  I keep seeing it.

See... this bothers me.  I keep seeing it.

Clinton is ahead by 279 delegates and there are 946 still available.  She is certainly going to win the nomination.  Your dude fucking lost.  Instead of manning up and getting the fuck over it you accuse the other side of cheating.  Know who didn't do that?  Hillary Clinton 8 years ago.

Every time that you accuse the Clinton camp of cheating you show that your "movement" is worse then the worst things that were said about it.

Yeah, this is getting to the point of making the thread unbearable.  I said it bothers me how the rhetoric has changed regarding one part of the primary process in a way that seems two-faced to me.  Notice how I've never said a word about the Nevada thing in this thread, but you even level that at me.  Please.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:51 pm »

Calm, cool, and collected, people, please.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:16 pm »

It's still better than the "voting sticks" some state legislatures (e.g. Tennessee) use. I wish I was making this up, but they use sticks to try click each other's voting buttons before they can get to them. It's an arm's race of who can have the longest stick rather than the best argument. This is slight hyperbole about an "arms race". but the sticks do exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbRKxCN__aw

They're crooks, and they're fat and lazy crooks while they're at it, because they can't even be bothered to get off their lazy asses to rig the vote.

And these same people brought in voter ID restrictions because of "voter fraud" at the polls, which doesn't seem to actually happen.
I think they knew exactly what they were doing with voter ID restrictions.  Because of miscommunication and apathy you only need to put a few bureaucratic barriers in the way of people to prevent them from voting.  Voter ID laws disproportionately effect certain demographics that come from families with a history of not owning cars (and thus not getting drivers licenses).  Those demographics are also less likely to have the free time to go to the DMV and wait 3+ hours to get a state ID.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: May 18, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »

Just because some people think that death threats are an acceptable way to deal with losing doesn't mean we all do...

Crap. Now I know what it's like for those people who claim allegiance to GamerGate but say it isn't represented by the people who send death threats to female developers.  :-[

Or, people who have zero alliegence to GamerGate, but were offended by articles like the Leigh Alexander one which basically took a shit over anyone who uses the moniker "gamer", and came out literally 11 days after the Zoe Quinn thing. The first I knew about it was blanket articles telling me i was a piece of shit for being a gamer.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:12:48 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: May 18, 2016, 06:07:23 pm »

Edit: yeah I probably shouldn't have.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:09:30 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: May 18, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »

... ree, that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, the current topic, or the immediate discussion you've stepped into. Please don't.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: May 18, 2016, 06:20:17 pm »

... ree, that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, the current topic, or the immediate discussion you've stepped into. Please don't.

Because we bellyfeel goodthink a page of BBCode but this is crimethink.

Doubleplusungood.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: May 18, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »

Meanwhile

So...
How about that Trumpdoo then?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright