Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547178 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17805 on: May 13, 2016, 08:37:28 pm »

The implication here is that if you're not part of that 80% you're either crazy (in the margins) or an idiot. Therefore people who vote straight ticket without ever looking at the candidates are the rational ones.

Notice the enormous quantities of bullshit you are shovelling onto my words that wasn't there.  "without looking at the candidates".  Did I say that?  No I didn't.  So you are getting offended at words that you yourself wrote.  You are free to do so but you have no right to drag me into your intellectual masturbation.

This is the definition of a thought-terminating cliche. This needs to be talked about, or we run the risk of just accepting it.

There aren't hours in the day to consider all ideas and people wouldn't be honest or neutral about all ideas even if they had unlimited time.  In theory you want to consider all ideas.  In practice... people have been making this exact prediction for forever and being wrong.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:40:29 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17806 on: May 13, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »

I fully understand that, and political campaigns have used propaganda since forever, but people haven't carried around propaganda posters to show to their friends until now.
I, uh. I'm pretty sure they did, actually. And certainly more compact icons of such (flags, national colors, holy texts, etc.) have pretty much always been pretty popular. It's a lot easier spread them around these days, sure, but sharing that sorta' thing isn't exactly new. Not as ubiquitous as beer or somethin', but not unusual.
Yeah, definitely. The illusion of substance is what I take issue with, and then you have that friendly astroturf effect and it becomes a little weird. I see it taking the place of actual conversation a little too much for comfort, maybe just because I'm a neckbeard luddite that doesn't get to witness a whole lot of political conversation other than between family (is there any? The whole "Politics isn't for polite company" thing always sort of bugged me too, it puts an expectation for emotional argument in front of the conversation that might not even be there to begin with), or maybe because hashtags make my eyes bleed, but how much I've seen it still gets my jimmies in a rustle.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:41:02 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17807 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »

(is there any? The whole "Politics isn't for polite company" thing always sort of bugged me too, it puts an expectation for emotional argument in front of the conversation that might not even be there to begin with)
There definitely is. There's a reason that "politics isn't for polite company" thing gets hammered so often and so regularly: Because people keep doing it in otherwise polite company. Just about any regular gathering place (restaurants with regular patrons, bars, churches, the list just kinda' stretches into the far distance) will see plenty of talkin' politics, most of it just as empty of substance as your average hashtag meme.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17808 on: May 14, 2016, 03:42:18 am »

Trump has made Kevin Cramer, on of the most infamous climate change deniers, and lobbyist for petrol industry, his chief energy advisor.

Gods. If this Trump gets elected the civilized nations of the world might really need to declare war on the US to save the planet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17809 on: May 14, 2016, 04:32:19 am »

By all means, if that is how you feel, then lobby for your governments to do so.  Tip: They won't, our economy is necessary for yours (and by that I mean the whole planet) to run.  You engage, we shut down shipping, you tank instantly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17810 on: May 14, 2016, 05:00:50 am »

And then we tank because most of our industry's overseas, everybody gets fucked over by the war and things just keep getting worse, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. :V

War with or between major powers is not what this world needs, it just makes things worse.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17811 on: May 14, 2016, 05:11:45 am »

I dunno, if the US imploded their own economy by embargoing everyone and subsequently collapsed, it might be a net positive for the world.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17812 on: May 14, 2016, 05:52:35 am »

You know, I really hate the politicization of science. It's great when politicians want to be informed about something, less so when they want to have a say in what the science is, or worse what they think it should be, and that is something which both "sides" of the climate debate are guilty of.

I say "sides" with scare quotes because science doesn't have "sides" which debate what the truth of something is, the only arbiter of truth in science is experiment. All the crap about "we need to save the world" or "we can totally just keep burning tons of crap with no downsides" is politics. It is meant to scare you or appease you in order to get you to move towards or endorse a given position or stance or policy.

Science is not done by committee, it is not done for a profit, it is not done to further any goal save one: distinguishing what is from what is not.

The Official Hover Platform Party Position on the climate is that up here on my platform it is some fraction of a Kelvin cooler than it is down on the ground, due to the adiabatic lapse rate, which is neither good nor bad, merely an observation.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: May 14, 2016, 07:42:24 am »

[words which looked like someone was trying to be serious]

The Official Hover Platform Party Position on the climate is that

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: May 14, 2016, 07:55:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17815 on: May 14, 2016, 07:59:23 am »

I dont really see what's left to do except for dank memes when people make that complaint.  It's been around FOREVER.  People hundreds of years ago complained about how tired they were of hearing it even before democratic franchise was widespread.  Shit changes.  Shit has mostly been changing for the better.

Every Change is for the Best in the Best of all possible Worlds
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17816 on: May 14, 2016, 08:46:34 am »

Trump has made Kevin Cramer, on of the most infamous climate change deniers, and lobbyist for petrol industry, his chief energy advisor.

Gods. If this Trump gets elected the civilized nations of the world might really need to declare war on the US to save the planet.

Sounds like perfect pandering to the republicans.

I can just imagine him filling his cabinet with people who have no clue how to actually run things, which may very well actually happen...... fuckit....

May god sa... OH WAIT, THERE IS NO GOD! THE REPUBLICANS NEED TO SAVE THEIR BLEEPING ASSES THEMSELVES!....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:48:31 am by smjjames »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: May 14, 2016, 10:02:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Burn their house down. With the lemons. Amen.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17818 on: May 14, 2016, 12:33:28 pm »

Indeed, oh, re: sig, I remember trying to get some of my friends to check out One Punch Man back when the Murata version had only just been announced, and you are right, it is literally the best thing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17819 on: May 14, 2016, 12:36:12 pm »

A 2010 study on the retirements and deaths of Supreme Court justices concluded that the odds that a justice will retire increase by 168 percent when the incumbent president is from the same political party as the president who nominated the justice and the presidential administration is in its first or second year.

The same study found that justices are more likely to die in office if the incumbent president is not from the same political party as the president who nominated them, The Washington Post reported in 2014.

Impeach Obama for killing Antonin Scalia.

On that note, what would you all say to term limits on Supreme Court justices?
Pages: 1 ... 1186 1187 [1188] 1189 1190 ... 1342