Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547394 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17791 on: May 13, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-alter-ego-barron/2016/05/12/02ac99ec-16fe-11e6-aa55-670cabef46e0_story.html

So this happened. What an ego.

And it appears to have been an open 'secret' in NYC media during the 80's and 90's. So, yeah, nothing new about his ego....

I don't think he broke any laws though, or at least nobody is talking about that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17792 on: May 13, 2016, 06:46:04 pm »

So far as I'm aware there's not really anything strictly illegal about calling people and using an alias, no. It can be under certain circumstances, but generally not. Certainly so long as you're not harassing someone (or I guess committing slander), you can call pretty much anyone, tell them you're anyone (save for impersonating people that actually exist, anyway), and spread whatever news/lies/etc. you feel like. If you're actually talking about yourself while under an alias, you could say pretty much whatever you damn well please. Can't slander yourself, heh.

It's... definitely kinda' odd, though, at the very least. Near as I've heard nowadays, the primary folks practicing it regularly are scam callers trying to steal money or identities from people, which is... probably not a good association, considering how much misery those bastards spread around this country.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17793 on: May 13, 2016, 07:19:25 pm »

Jill Stein is hiring an epic memester graphic designer (and other jobs are there I guess)
Tasks will include, but not be limited to:

- designing campaign newsletter templates which activate supporters
- designing memes & Facebook ads that inspire supporters to share with their friends
- designing memes & Facebook ads that ask for money

Adding rarest of rare pepes to resume wish me luck #mtdew2016

(I know this isn't particularly news, every campaign is doing it now, but is anyone else intrinsically, deeply, and existentially, as well as sexually, and metamorphically bothered by this? Most politician's treatment of the internet reeks of newspeak - this whole campaign cycle has been nonstop #votersvote4myclickonmyhashtags and it's starting to drive me insane)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:19 pm »

Is it wrong to have Jill Stein as a backup third party vote instead of either Clinton or Trump? Because I'm seriously considering doing that. Even though I want to keep Trump away from office as much as anybody else here.

But uh, yeah, it's almost like Jill is trying too hard to be cool with the young generation.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:46 pm »

The thing about political campaigns is you always have to appeal to the margins.  80% of voters are pretty reasonable and make up their minds for straightforward and honest reasons long before the election happens.  10% are marginal and 10% are idiots.  There's no need to try and convince the 80%.  That means your efforts are divided between fence sitters and idiots.  It doesn't look like something that will appeal to the 80% because it's not for them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: May 13, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »

The thing about political campaigns is you always have to appeal to the margins.  80% of voters are pretty reasonable and make up their minds for straightforward and honest reasons long before the election happens.  10% are marginal and 10% are idiots.  There's no need to try and convince the 80%.  That means your efforts are divided between fence sitters and idiots.  It doesn't look like something that will appeal to the 80% because it's not for them.

"Straightforward and honest reasons" like my parents/friends wore red/blue so I wear red/blue and I'll shoot you/yell rape if you try to convince me otherwise.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: May 13, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »

Straightforward and honest does not equal rational or considered.  It is entirely possible for someone to honestly vote for their preferred candidate simply "Because I vote ____."
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17798 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »

I fully understand that, and political campaigns have used propaganda since forever, but people haven't carried around propaganda posters to show to their friends until now. What I'm worried about is that it will start to replace real conversation inside that 80% until no one party has any real talking points other than iconography/idealism.
Is it wrong to have Jill Stein as a backup third party vote instead of either Clinton or Trump?
No. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Reform for voting is arguably the most important issue this election, and no one has fought harder to get a wedge in the CPD and the process as a whole than her. The idea that we should avoid the spoiler effect is what perpetuates it, and it's your goddamn vote etc.

IMO in general we're at the tipping point where instant-runoff in the primaries or at least standardization of the process in general could actually happen, but only if the status quo no longer works in either party's favor.
Music, Ballpoint

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: May 13, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »

"Straightforward and honest reasons" like my parents/friends wore red/blue so I wear red/blue and I'll shoot you/yell rape if you try to convince me otherwise.

So for instance in your case your politics is centered around hostility towards certain groups.  As such the rational thing for you to do would be to find the candidate who shares your belligerence the most.

I fully understand that, and political campaigns have used propaganda since forever, but people haven't carried around propaganda posters to show to their friends until now. What I'm worried about is that it will start to replace real conversation inside that 80% until no one party has any real talking points other than iconography/idealism.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17800 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:23 pm »

<dank meme>
Decent troll.
Music, Ballpoint

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: May 13, 2016, 08:13:06 pm »

I dont really see what's left to do except for dank memes when people make that complaint.  It's been around FOREVER.  People hundreds of years ago complained about how tired they were of hearing it even before democratic franchise was widespread.  Shit changes.  Shit has mostly been changing for the better.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: May 13, 2016, 08:15:35 pm »

Straightforward and honest does not equal rational or considered.  It is entirely possible for someone to honestly vote for their preferred candidate simply "Because I vote ____."

The implication here is that if you're not part of that 80% you're either crazy (in the margins) or an idiot. Therefore people who vote straight ticket without ever looking at the candidates are the rational ones.

That's assuming the 80% statistic is even true, which is very unlikely. I'm just arguing against mainiacs blatant insult to people who *GASP* actually think about who they vote for.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17803 on: May 13, 2016, 08:20:57 pm »

I dont really see what's left to do except for dank memes when people make that complaint.  It's been around FOREVER.  People hundreds of years ago complained about how tired they were of hearing it even before democratic franchise was widespread.  Shit changes.  Shit has mostly been changing for the better.
This is the definition of a thought-terminating cliche. This needs to be talked about, or we run the risk of just accepting it. The fact that we've generally been moving forward (arguable and completely subjective by the way, especially on smaller timeframes) doesn't just automatically stop us from moving backward. What stops us from moving backwards is talking.

I have no idea if my fear is valid in this case, but the very fact that the internet is a different entity from what we've had experience with means that it bears examination in relation to how it affects our society. This is one of those ways. Propaganda is fundamentally different if you no longer have to pay for it.
Music, Ballpoint

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: May 13, 2016, 08:22:09 pm »

I fully understand that, and political campaigns have used propaganda since forever, but people haven't carried around propaganda posters to show to their friends until now.
I, uh. I'm pretty sure they did, actually. And certainly more compact icons of such (flags, national colors, holy texts, etc.) have pretty much always been pretty popular. It's a lot easier spread them around these days, sure, but sharing that sorta' thing isn't exactly new. Not as ubiquitous as beer or somethin', but not unusual.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1342