Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547729 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17775 on: May 12, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »

A few jokes here, a global financial meltdown there, it's really hard to say why McCain lost.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17776 on: May 12, 2016, 07:34:43 pm »

I do think it was classy that he specified Trump doesn't owe him anything, but he shouldn't hate on other POW's.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17777 on: May 13, 2016, 05:30:46 am »

top lel capitalism: workers denied the right to bodily functions

Poultry workers are routinely denied basic needs such as bathroom breaks to the point of being forced to wear diapers while on the line, a new report claims.

The processing plant workers are mocked or ignored by supervisors when they ask to go to the bathroom, says Oxfam America, the U.S. arm of the global organization dedicated to solving poverty and social injustice.

As a result, employees "restrict intake of liquids and fluids to dangerous degrees; they endure pain and discomfort while they worry about their health and job security," the report said. The conditions are particularly trying for women who are menstruating or pregnant, the report added, citing unnamed workers who it interviewed over a period of three years.

The scathing report, released Wednesday, also alleges that employees wait for an hour or more in long lines to use the bathroom and risk getting punished or fired if they don't accomplish their work within a certain time frame.

"What would be shocking in most workplaces happens far too often in poultry plants: Workers relieving themselves while standing at their work station," the report said. "Too many workers tell stories about urinating on themselves, or witnessing coworkers urinating on themselves."

Some have "made the uncomfortable decision to wear adult diapers to work" to avoid having to ask to leave the line and risk being punished, it continued.
I'll bet it turns out that the diapers are reusable and the workers are washing them in the fecal soup :-D

dude lmao diapersfried chicken tastes good capitalism is great factory farming will save the planet Murrica free-est countrey

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17778 on: May 13, 2016, 06:13:14 am »

The accused companies, of course, say it ain't so. ;)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17779 on: May 13, 2016, 06:17:59 am »

Also pictured: Why we have unions :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17780 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:30 am »

The workers have plenty of opportunities to use the bathroom before and after their shift. Plus if they're not eating anything for the duration there shouldn't be any need to go in the first place.
Honestly this whole thing smacks of some leftist journalist trying to undermine an honest business.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17781 on: May 13, 2016, 07:59:58 am »

Is that being cynical, Orange?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17782 on: May 13, 2016, 09:03:15 am »

It sounds like it's being sarcastic.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17783 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:02 am »

It's hard to tell, so I asked an online magic 8 ball:

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Andmore

• Bay Watcher
  • Former lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17784 on: May 13, 2016, 10:26:17 am »

I suspect OW is the CEO of one of these operations.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17785 on: May 13, 2016, 10:59:49 am »

It's hard to tell, so I asked an online magic 8 ball:

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

That doesn't even make sense. What does that answer even mean in the context of the question?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17786 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:00 am »

The accused companies, of course, say it ain't so. ;)
Honestly, I'm inclined to believe their position that it's an isolated case which is being exaggerated and goes against their general policies. The picture the article paints is very dire, but the evidence they site is limited. Of the problems caused by big corporations, this will probably be among the quickest fixed.
The people pictured are Mexicans though, and Mexicans typically don't get unions because reasons.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17787 on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:51 am »

The people pictured are Mexicans though, and Mexicans typically don't get unions because reasons cartels.

FTFY.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17788 on: May 13, 2016, 02:30:18 pm »

This is why they need hover platforms: everywhere is a potential restroom when you're not worried about stepping in it.

I mean sure, it might not be the most flattering angle for some of us (for some it is though) but I don't think people will want to be standing there to watch... and I don't want to explore that line of reasoning any further.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17789 on: May 13, 2016, 04:07:15 pm »

top lel capitalism: workers denied the right to bodily functions

Poultry workers are routinely denied basic needs such as bathroom breaks to the point of being forced to wear diapers while on the line, a new report claims.

The processing plant workers are mocked or ignored by supervisors when they ask to go to the bathroom, says Oxfam America, the U.S. arm of the global organization dedicated to solving poverty and social injustice.

As a result, employees "restrict intake of liquids and fluids to dangerous degrees; they endure pain and discomfort while they worry about their health and job security," the report said. The conditions are particularly trying for women who are menstruating or pregnant, the report added, citing unnamed workers who it interviewed over a period of three years.

The scathing report, released Wednesday, also alleges that employees wait for an hour or more in long lines to use the bathroom and risk getting punished or fired if they don't accomplish their work within a certain time frame.

"What would be shocking in most workplaces happens far too often in poultry plants: Workers relieving themselves while standing at their work station," the report said. "Too many workers tell stories about urinating on themselves, or witnessing coworkers urinating on themselves."

Some have "made the uncomfortable decision to wear adult diapers to work" to avoid having to ask to leave the line and risk being punished, it continued.
I'll bet it turns out that the diapers are reusable and the workers are washing them in the fecal soup :-D

dude lmao diapersfried chicken tastes good capitalism is great factory farming will save the planet Murrica free-est countrey
This is, of course, blatantly illegal. It isn't an unusual situation (Hickory Farms has just as bad if not worse a situation on the assembly lines that put together their very expensive holiday gift baskets), but it violates multiple sections of the Occupational Safety And Health Act, not to mention FDA sanitary regulations. It is a textbook example of why the US is too large (checking every business once a year for OSHA violations would require the number of inspectors to increase at least tenfold, and FDA health inspectors are more likely to be checking storage temperatures and equipment cleanliness with the limited time they have) for laws alone to protect workers, and strong worker advocacy (generally in the form of labor unions, but low cost lawyers and whistleblower protections would help a lot, and making it illegal to hire somebody without a contract (in other words, banning at-will hiring) would go pretty far as well) is in the best interests of everyone.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1342