Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548246 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17685 on: May 09, 2016, 09:27:50 pm »

The transgender bathroom laws are also a local thing. The West Virginia section of the Republican party, for example, has absolutely no plans to do anything similar and its goals really aren't social -- the Repubs here are much more fiscal than anything else. And yet they are right-wing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: May 09, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »

West Virginia Republicans recently banned one of the safest medical procedures for abortion however.

EDIT: I think the main relevant point, however is that they tend to use the social conservatism stuff to fire up their support base. Which does fit with the RWA profile: it's a profile of the supporters of social conservatism, not the leadership. In the wargames with only RWA types, nobody took the initiative and attacked each other, they just defended and refused to talk to each other or form alliances. So, yeah it's a personality profile that's a poor match for movement leaders but well correlated with being a follower.

If we think of it as being more correlated with social conservatism perhaps we can reconcile the viewpoints a bit better. Is there such a thing as left-wing social conservatism? Does that make sense? If not, then if we understand "authoritarianism" here to correlate with social conservatism, then it makes sense that there are many RWA people, but few LWA people.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:56:52 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: May 09, 2016, 09:35:52 pm »

... I actually don't remember when that happened. Will admit I never paid much attention to anti-public transit arguments, mostly because the argument's won in the area I'm in and public transit barely exists. Tell us more?

Yeah looking back it wasn't huge, just a funny little example of derp.  It seems it crops up from time to time.
2014: http://crooksandliars.com/2014/03/rush-limbaughs-whacked-out-mass
2009: http://www.alternet.org/story/141409/oh_no!_public_transit_is_a_marxist_plot!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: May 09, 2016, 10:01:21 pm »

You've triggered my semantic trap card! It's literally a credit card sized pressure switch that activates a miniature trebuchet which launches a deck of cards at your face.

So after doing more research about this presidency thing, you need to be 35 right?

I don't have to like cut off a leg and count rings to check this do I? I can remember Reagan's first term but I'm always forgetting how old I am.

Oh and on the part about "natural born citizen of the US", does that include "my mother got a headache one day and I fell fully formed from a crack in her forehead" type origin stories? Cause if not, I may have some awkward phone calls to make.

More seriously though I do think vocational schools should be more common, which goes hand in hand with the infrastructure needs that I will shout about from on top of my hover platform.

Who you gonna vote for, the shmuck standing meekly behind a podium or the guy riding a mechanical birdosaur?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: May 09, 2016, 10:31:35 pm »

I'm sure Scrooge McDuck will accept your votes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: May 09, 2016, 10:50:16 pm »

Ah, I do think that's the core of it, Reelya, but even then I think authoritarianism and social conservatism are far from the same thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:05 am »

I fail to see how social conservatism not kept to oneself is can not be authoritarianism.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: May 10, 2016, 12:26:09 am »

Aggressively pushing that viewpoint onto the world requires authoritarian means.

One light, one mind, flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17693 on: May 10, 2016, 12:41:19 am »

The same way social liberalism not kept to oneself is can not be authoritarianism.

Point is, forcing one's viewpoint on to the world is the authoritarianism part. Doesn't matter what that viewpoint is. Aggressively pushing that viewpoint onto the world requires authoritarian means.

This seems like oxymoron to me, when social liberalism (as I understand it) means being opposed to people forcing their viewpoints on each other, and in favor of people living however they like, so long as all relationships are consensual.

Unless you're going to bring up the old bit about being tolerant of intolerance.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17694 on: May 10, 2016, 12:43:24 am »

Unless you're going to bring up the old bit about being tolerant of intolerance.
FREEDOM IS MANDATORY
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:28 am »

Believing in freedom, but also being ok with people damaging freedom is indistinguishable from just not giving a shit.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17696 on: May 10, 2016, 06:41:48 am »

Ah, I do think that's the core of it, Reelya, but even then I think authoritarianism and social conservatism are far from the same thing.
Could you expand on that a bit? I'd probably agree they're not strictly identical, but far from the same thing is... not the words I'd use. It's hard to argue that there's more than two major camps in social conservatism (especially the american sort), one appealing to scripture/religious social mores and the other appealing to tradition. The former pretty much is authoritarianism, just with the church replacing a (more) secular government and maybe (as it often isn't as well; see the vein of social conservatism in the US demanding God be in everything, especially the government) being more limited in scope, and the latter shares... a lot of authoritarianism's traits, if sometimes different leading influences (i.e it may actually be anti-establishment, but that doesn't mean it's not very much an appeal/adherence to authority -- of previous years, in this case -- more than just about anything).

So... what kind of major gap between them are you seeing?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: May 10, 2016, 07:14:11 am »

I'm not sure if I would go so far as to say "the church" when there are so many denominations that disagree on some very basic shit, like whether the bible should be read literally or whether it requires a more sophisticated approach.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:42 am »

The church in this case means whichever one the particular conservative is attached to :P Or whichever brand they go by... usually even the ones that aren't church goers are still very much inclined towards a certain denomination, or regular listening to particular preachers.* I'm very much aware of the fractious nature of american religious groups, heh.

*I'd moderate the language a bit to be less inclined towards christianity in most conversations, but, uh. America thread. Even more than that, discussion about american social conservatives. There's not enough of those that are aligned with a non-christian religion to really be worth talking about :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17699 on: May 10, 2016, 08:28:54 am »

Bob Altemeyer and The Authoritarians ON TOURhhnnnnnnnnnnngggghhhhhh
Oh Goodie! Here comes good ol' Bob again, alerting us to the dangers of authoritarianism and social conformity by casting doubt on all dominant social norms except those enforced by his own in-group: "This and that group of people is crawling with nasty authoritarians, but thank God there are none within the sacred walls of the academe, or in the glorious bastion of freedom that is North-American center-left liberalism: Commies are bad and Nazis are worse, but liberal authoritarians are non-existent by definition – take that, shitlords! Our thoughts are always pure and our actions virtuous, and if America sometimes happens to behave like a global fascist dictatorship, it's entirely the fault of those evil high-RWA bastards in the Congress and the Senate! They just don't understand that politics is not about conflicting interests and social dominance – it's about achieving a state of peace, tolerance, and politically neutral administration by unelected technocrats! Oh, and by the way, capitalism is basically a good thing if it has a lovely human face designed by a top-class PR agency. And corporate fascism is not really fascism at all if it's run by progressive college-educated liberals like me."

I have a hankering to write a scathing long-form critique of Altemeyer's horrible little pamphlet, but I probably shouldn't waste any more time on such a futile effort. I mean, why bother? It's not like this bullshit is his own product – he's merely channelling the Absolute Unquestionable Truths of global capitalism like a good submissive authoritarian.
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 1342