Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547119 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17385 on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:21 pm »

And..?  The two party system will collapse if you dont support Clinton over Trump?
Isn't that a good thing?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: May 05, 2016, 07:38:10 pm »

Only when it collapses into a stable democratic waveform instead of the politically subatomic equivalent of a mile wide kegger happening on top of a mixed napalm, willy pete, and devil's venom storage site.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: May 05, 2016, 07:39:42 pm »

Alright, point taken, and yeah the media bashed her really hard on the email stuff.
Not just the email stuff, mind! I think every conversation I've had involving mention of clinton in real life since the start of the primaries has also managed to shove benghazi in there.

Honestly, as near as I've been able to tell so far as face to face goes, those two are almost literally the only things people know about her anymore. Like, you ask someone what's their problem with her, it's those two things and maybe some kind of allegation of corruption the person in question can't actually substantiate to any meaningful degree. It honestly kinda' baffles me the amount of vitriol she gets, considering the other shit american politicians get up to with people basically not even blinking at it.
Also I fixed the typo. There's only one l.

I've seen a lot of this thing too, which snopes confirms but I can't decide whether or not it actually matters (I'm leaning no,) and some unsubstantiated claims that she hushed up sketchy Bill Clinton stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:41:22 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17388 on: May 05, 2016, 07:40:43 pm »

And..?  The two party system will collapse if you dont support Clinton over Trump?
Isn't that a good thing?
That's hyperbolic sarcasm. Given that we let SalmonGod get away with using hyperbole, we should probably also let mainiac do it. ;)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: May 05, 2016, 07:54:16 pm »

Bernie's appeal has always been to the independents, to a shocking degree if I remember the data right.

Independents aren't indepents so it's not really shocking that he does better with the dissatisfied then the satisfied.  Imagine two liberals:

mainiac really likes Obama and thinks Obama is basically the best we can have
Redking prefers Obama to the republicans but considers him disappointing

Is it surprising that Redking is a lot, lot more likely to be an independent then mainiac?  Is it surprising the Redking is more likely to support an outsider compared to mainiac?
Wow....I've been staying out of the fecal hurricane that this thread has become for like a month or more, and yet I'm still invoked as a strawman. That's some quality there.

For the moment, I'm not worrying about how I'm going to vote in November, I'm laying in stocks of food and spare parts. I will likely abstain from the Presidential election.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17390 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:42 pm »

Is ammunition a spare part?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: May 05, 2016, 08:02:24 pm »

@PTTG: It's more complex than that though, republicans have a 'hate boner' for Clinton (among other factors) while Trump has generally alienated both republicans and democrats. But yeah, it's like 'how did we get to this place?'.

It's a recent development that Clinton is this unpopular.  6 months ago that wasn't the case...
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating

I think it's pretty simple.  Clinton has been relentless shit on by the press for six months straight*.  How much have you heard about Clinton not being progressive enough or the damn email server?  How much have you heard of her pushing for popular ideas expansion of family leave, a higher minimum wage, more green energy? How about the fact that the damn email server is the longest congressional fishing expedition in history and has found nothing but is still treated as an open case.  That information gets written about in passing but no one reads them.  There is no story in "Clinton is a normal democrat who supports normal democrat ideas."  There is a story in "Clinton takes fire on her left flank."

* http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/2016-campaign-opinion-journalists-press-corps-reporters-survey-213844
49% of reporters think that Clinton has been treated most harshly by the press.  Runners up were 15% Trump, 9% Sanders.  6% said Clinton was treated the best, compared to 34% Trump.  If you dont trust journalists then have some outside information: http://www.vox.com/2016/4/15/11410160/hillary-clinton-media-bernie-sanders
While we can have a whole conversation about whether it's worse to be talked about or not talked about, the point is that this explains why Hillary is so unliked.  It's unusual for a candidate to get shit on by the press this much.  It's an interesting question of why this has happened but it seems like a very simple explanation of why the unpopularity.

You're describing the propaganda the right has shoved into its own echo chamber to stir up motivation out of righteous hatred.

All the negative press I've seen from the left has pretty consistently focused on political history where she has directly contradicted the platforms she's adopted to compete with Bernie.

Well, that and Clinton has been shined on by the media with the equivalent of a sunlamp (more so than other candidates, especially the whole email stuff), and of course, the whole anti-establishment wave took hold.

Anyways, interesting take on Trumps isolationist tendencies: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/founding-fathers-2016-donald-trump-america-first-foreign-policy-isolationist-213873 He's a bit too isolationist IMO (though not as much as Ron Paul) even though I agree that we should pull back and be more of a guiding hand rather than a hamfisted, well, fist.

Bernie's appeal has always been to the independents, to a shocking degree if I remember the data right.

Independents aren't indepents so it's not really shocking that he does better with the dissatisfied then the satisfied.  Imagine two liberals:

mainiac really likes Obama and thinks Obama is basically the best we can have
Redking prefers Obama to the republicans but considers him disappointing

Is it surprising that Redking is a lot, lot more likely to be an independent then mainiac?  Is it surprising the Redking is more likely to support an outsider compared to mainiac?
Wow....I've been staying out of the fecal hurricane that this thread has become for like a month or more, and yet I'm still invoked as a strawman. That's some quality there.

For the moment, I'm not worrying about how I'm going to vote in November, I'm laying in stocks of food and spare parts. I will likely abstain from the Presidential election.

Welcome back. :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: May 05, 2016, 08:02:59 pm »

Strawman?  I thought I was describing you accurately?  Are you are not disappointed with Obama and the democrats in general?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:49 pm »

I came only to post this:
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/728208398261620736

It's an attack ad on Trump.

Maniac: I, for one, welcome our new demon cat overlords.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »

I came only to post this:
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/728208398261620736

It's an attack ad on Trump.

Maniac: I, for one, welcome our new demon cat overlords.

I half expected the ad to be/include something about demon cats with your comment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17395 on: May 05, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

Yeah, where are the cats?  Am I missing the joke?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17396 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:42 pm »

Welcome back. :)
I'm not staying. That would be like throwing a match into a room full of oil-soaked rags.

Strawman?  I thought I was describing you accurately?  Are you are not disappointed with Obama and the democrats in general?
I'm disappointed with a LOT of things. I think the difference is in the nuance that comes with age.

Young people equate disappointment with rejection, so much so that they trap themselves in slavish devotion. Because admitting that the target of your affections has disappointed in you some way shakes the foundations of the entire relationship.

When you're a parent, you realize that your kids will disappoint you, but you'll still love them. Your spouse will disappoint them, but you'll (probably) still love them. Your political idols will disappoint you, but that doesn't mean a total rejection of their ideals.

I can admit that Obama has disappointed me (a lot), but I still think he's a pretty hoopy frood and am glad I voted for him twice.

Hillary may prove me wrong, but for now she has not impressed upon me that she's a good person. Sanders has. Therein lies my support.

With Sanders pretty much relegated to be on the outside looking in, I have no candidate in the race now, because I'm not a Democrat.

The crux is that your hypothesis is that I'm an independent because I don't have a fanboy opinion of Obama.
My hypothesis is that I don't have a fanboy opinion of Obama because I'm an independent. Not being part of the party means not getting wrapped up in the team colors.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:13 pm »

How many of you guys here are actually able to vote right now?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »

*raises hand*
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:24 pm »

Most of us? I'm able to....
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1342