Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549175 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #17025 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:36 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17026 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »

"Free trade" is a misleading way to describe it, since that sounds like just the free and fair exchange of goods.

What we're talking about is people profiting off the flow of currencies, and the fact that international finance creates vast tax loopholes.

I think we all know how this sort of thing works. The classic set-up is that a company in the USA creates a shell corporation on some island somewhere, where the cost to run a corporation is a yearly flat fee. They then incorporate their US operations as a subsidiary of their post-office-box corporation on the island, pay out all their profits as cash payments to that shell corporation, then cry foul about how they're making a loss on their USA operations.

EDIT: But that's what Trump should be focusing on, rather than complaining about people in other countries having a job.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:13:08 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17027 on: April 29, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

it's
I expected more of you. >:[

I dont know why you would.  I have never claimed to be a grammatician and I never such a thing of.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17028 on: April 29, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »

... though are we really calling trump against free trade? Don't get me wrong, he's definitely hammering that drum in rhetoric, but insofar as practice goes the guy seems to love free trade like he loves his daughter.

Well, except he's telling people to stop him in the case of the former.

... really, FD, it kinda' sounds like you've been a bit boondoggled by some of the hot air. I guess it's a sort of example of his strategy of just saying bloody everything and damn the coherency, working?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #17029 on: April 29, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »

I never such a thing of.
I think I just had an aneurysm

What we're talking about is people profiting off the flow of currencies, and the fact that international finance creates vast tax loopholes.
Tax havens are a thing, yeah. It's pretty dumb to use it as an excuse for protectionism though.

That said, the USA probably could pull off the whole isolated market thing. There's enough diversity in their industries for it to work.
Honestly it'd make an interesting experiment. Can a country do that in the modern world without looking like North Korea?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17030 on: April 29, 2016, 08:30:12 pm »

... well, interesting in the sense that most of the rest of the world would start looking like north korea, I guess. Maybe the US could manage it (though it would almost certainly mean a significant loss in quality of life, especially for those whose QoL are already kinda' shit), but it'd mean basically fucking the world economy.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see it tried. We haven't had a world war start up due to strictly economic concerns yet, and I don't want to be alive when one kicks off, either.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17031 on: April 29, 2016, 08:35:21 pm »

North Korea?  That seems a bit hyperbolic.  There are plenty of advanced economies that aren't the US.  Western Europe+Japan+Canada+South Korea+Australia have a larger population then the US.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17032 on: April 29, 2016, 08:37:26 pm »

Well, we're certainly not going to have time chambers if the US closes off, so I'd say it's rather anti-hyperbolic >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17033 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »

Does hyperbolic mean time travel?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17034 on: April 29, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »

I don't think the USA could pull it off. A significant part of the modern American lifestyle is reliant on having cheap sources of labor and resources off-shore. Modern capitalism hasn't actually gotten rid of the sweatshop conditions, they've just globalized it.

Yeah, so America can try that self-reliance thing, but I'm guessing you'd need to abolish most of the existing labor and environmental protections to do it. Oh, and expect to see 10 years knocked off the life expectancy (unless it's all robot labor I guess, in which case only knock 5 years off life expectancy due to all the pollution).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:51:10 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17035 on: April 29, 2016, 08:48:48 pm »

Or just place environmental tariffs on China :^)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17036 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:52 pm »

That's crazy.  Tube socks would cost another 50 cents a sock.  iPhones would cost another 3 dollars a phone.  It would be the end of the american way life as we know it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17037 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:45 pm »

Yeah, so America can try that self-reliance thing, but I'm guessing you'd need to abolish most of the existing labor and environmental protections to do it. Oh, and expect to see 10 years knocked off the life expectancy (unless it's all robot labor I guess, in which case only knock 5 years off life expectancy due to all the pollution).
As a college student wanting to get into robotics and AI work, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this plan.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17038 on: April 29, 2016, 10:22:59 pm »

... though are we really calling trump against free trade? Don't get me wrong, he's definitely hammering that drum in rhetoric, but insofar as practice goes the guy seems to love free trade like he loves his daughter.

Well, except he's telling people to stop him in the case of the former.

... really, FD, it kinda' sounds like you've been a bit boondoggled by some of the hot air. I guess it's a sort of example of his strategy of just saying bloody everything and damn the coherency, working?

I think he's the sort of crazy that means it. He's got a pretty clear obsession with things branded as "his"-his building, his steaks, his daughter, &c. I can definitely see that extending to a nationalistic economic perspective, especially with how he's hammering the "fuck our allies we pre-Great War isolationism now" line. His wet dreams probably involve lines of Trump everything, from Trump Bread to Trump Sedans to Trump Sexual Lubricant. He comes off as the sort of capitalist who wants everything revolving around company towns in his back yard (so to speak) rather than outsourcing as much work as possible to places with cheap labor. Long-term control over every aspect of production rather than short-term increases to profits. Mostly because he's in it for himself rather than to fellate shareholder interests.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17039 on: April 29, 2016, 11:48:31 pm »

He is not the sort of crazy that means it.  He is a hard-core showman, all of this nonsense he spews is to attract and distract the voters, he knows full well that the only thing that matters is how he presents himself and how often people hear his name, all the rhetoric is completely meaningless.  At the end of the day Trump has only one goal, to win, and he will employ any means to do so, short of outright violating the law.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1342