Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549625 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16980 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:41 pm »

I dont see why she is a female version of Trump.  They're both pretty hostile personalities and erratic CEOs but their hostility takes different forms and they are erratic in different ways.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16981 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:20 pm »

I dont see why she is a female version of Trump.  They're both pretty hostile personalities and erratic CEOs but their hostility takes different forms and they are erratic in different ways.

Didn't mean it that way. More she's a response to Trump on the Republican side. Clinton has, currently, a monopoly on the gender fight. With Fiorina next to him, Cruz has a chance to appeal to Republican females who are also sick of Trump but don't have representation on the Republican side like females do with Clinton.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:44:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16982 on: April 27, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »

Oh, a female instead of a misogynist not a female misogynist.

Well there is the woman thing and there is also the CEO thing.  Fiorina is sort of the perfect attack dog to go after Trump.  I bet Cruz wishes he could have brought her in after Super Tuesday.  Trump will lash back of course but attacks on veeps aren't generally that important.  Dan Quayle was regarded as an idiot but people didn't really care about having an idiot as veep.  On the other hand the Palin pick might have hurt McCain but you could claim that was because the pick looked like bad judgement.

This might shed insight into who Clinton picks.  She might want a really rabid attack dog who can fight Trump at his own level.  Well not his own level, that's impossible, but someone who will really call Trump a son of a bitch.

Doesn't shed much light on Trump though, cuz he already takes care of that himself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:48:55 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16983 on: April 27, 2016, 07:46:35 pm »

Oh, a female instead of a misogynist not a female misogynist.

Well there is the woman thing and there is also the CEO thing.  Fiorina is sort of the perfect attack dog to go after Trump.  I bet Cruz wishes he could have brought her in after Super Tuesday.

Probably would have done more for him then than now. It just feels like it's too late in the primaries for her to really turn anything around for him. Which makes the choice and the timing seem pretty self-serving.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16984 on: April 27, 2016, 07:57:42 pm »

@nenjin and maniac: I don't think Cruz neccesarily cares whether Trump picks a woman VP or not, he's trying to get Trump to make a rush decision on a VP.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16985 on: April 27, 2016, 08:00:53 pm »

3rd reason - Candidates accused of crimes and under investigation not receiving significant rejection by voters who are indifferent of their political position: Sure, the whole hillary email thing is controversial, but hasn't she been actualy investigated by the FBI? I think thats a pretty big reason to rethink one's choices in politicians, yet this is brushed aside as some sort of scam or even as a conspiracy by many voters. This is a phenomenom south america knows all too well.
This is complete and utter garbage. I could say, right now, that you murdered and hid the bodies of 30 children. If reported to the police, they would probably even investigate you. I could say that about anyone, and if I made up a decent story, it would result in an investigation.

This is why innocent until proven guilty exists. Because otherwise, any unscrupulous idiot could simply brush away their opposition by accusing them of things. Dictators do this all the time, and it's one of the main methods used to suppress opposition. Accuse them of working with spies. Of treason. Of being child molesters. Of being immoral or corrupt.

Saying accusations are worth any weight at all is just asking to be manipulated by any idiot who understands this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16986 on: April 27, 2016, 08:14:25 pm »

Saying accusations are worth any weight at all is just asking to be manipulated by any idiot who understands this.

But all the same it works and the world has more then it's share of people happy to exploit this tendency.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16987 on: April 27, 2016, 08:15:45 pm »

Eehhh... it's reason if something comes of it, but yeah, just investigation and whatnot is... not compelling. Especially in US politics, where "Manufactured Scandal" is another way of saying "Tuesday". The republican/right-wing political groups in particular have spent like the last... decade, or more, basically flailing around everywhere claiming people (Obama, hillary, whatever) have been doing something that's illegal/unconstitutional/etc. with... nothing to show for it. Which is why that bullshit gets brushed off so easily: The last few decades it's been shown to be bullshit time and time and time again. Almost a boy who cried wolf scenario, except the wolf never seems to show up.

Though yeah, it does work on a good chunk of the polity, no question there. It's just not exactly what I'd call a reason, heh. Excuse, maybe, but...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:17:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16988 on: April 27, 2016, 08:24:19 pm »

Honestly, amurican left is becoming increasingly more like south american left, which is something you, should, in fact, be scared of.
Could you provide a more specific statement with a source/examples of this?
Aye...
I don't get it.

1st reason

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The right wing in Latin America has all those problems but worse.

Look at Colombia: one drug lord gets extradited to the USA, and computer evidence from the trial leads to the arrest of 33 politicians from the right-wing governing party. But those guys are still in government. When the next drug lord is due to be extradited, the Colombian authorities somehow manage to "lose" all the computer evidence for that guy. And that's not even going very deep into all the right-wing bullshit there. Much of the government is implicated with Death Squad connections: and those guys definitely "break shit". They break people.

Take Ecuador as another example. The left-wing president is slammed internationally, for calling a right-wing journalist "fatty". That's apparently the worst thing ever. Yet, the right-wing candidate, Alvaro Naboa, has Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International campaigns against him. He was directly implicated in massacres of his own workers who tried to form a union, and is the biggest abuser of child labor in the country.

Those are current examples. Historic examples would include Nicaragua, where the right-wing remains of the fascist dictatorship rebranded as "rebels" and went around blowing stuff up, hacking off peoples heads and killed catholic nuns in a terror campaign meant to destabilize the left-wing government: who were the first people in Nicaraguan history to implement free and fair elections (they ended up losing the 1990 election to a different party. that doesn't happen when you're rigging the thing).

I'm wondering where you get that info on the left? Basically almost all the media in Latin America is controlled by a small number of oligarchs in each country. Their economies are dominated by a small number of elite wealthy people / powerful families (much bigger wealth discrepancies than the USA). The end result is a situation where "FOX News style reporting" describes 80% of the media in a lot of these places, rather than an extreme fringe.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:47:12 pm by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16989 on: April 27, 2016, 08:43:46 pm »

... Ted Cruz is picking Carly Fiornia as his running mate.

Seems desperate to me. Also premature.

Premature out of desperation.  He desperately need to shake something up.
Reminds me of something. Last mayoral election here in NYC, we had our own insanity in the primaries. At the time, Anthony Weiner was flagging badly before the final vote. There had been a big bruhaha about a rescued cat on the subway taking forever to rescue, and some news reporter for the Times asked each of the candidates for a response. The one who was winning at the time, Bill de Blasio's campaign (who eventually won and is now mayor) gave an evasive answer, while Anthony Weiner's representative said "If elected, Anthony Weiner would personally rescue that cat himself".

There is no such thing as overpromising if you lose, after all
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16990 on: April 27, 2016, 09:34:54 pm »

You have to admit though, the two go together quite well. Fiorina's unlikeability fits into all the nooks and crannies that Cruz's unlikeability can't quite reach. He's the hate filled guy who says transgender folks shouldn't be allowed to use bathrooms outside their homes, while she's the soulless corporate type who will outsource your job and fire you without a care in the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16991 on: April 27, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »

Together, they fight crime communists? The buddy cop film no one actually wanted and is clear proof of the existence of an antagonistic god. Coming this November to a theater hopefully far away from you.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16992 on: April 27, 2016, 09:40:59 pm »

Together, they fight crime communists? The buddy cop film no one actually wanted and is clear proof of the existence of an antagonistic god. Coming this November to a theater hopefully far away from you.
Heh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16993 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:17 pm »

It's called objectivism.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16994 on: April 27, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »

You have to admit though, the two go together quite well. Fiorina's unlikeability fits into all the nooks and crannies that Cruz's unlikeability can't quite reach. He's the hate filled guy who says transgender folks shouldn't be allowed to use bathrooms outside their homes, while she's the soulless corporate type who will outsource your job and fire you without a care in the world.

Speaking of souless corporate type, she'd be a better fit for Trump really. If he hadn't insulted her 10 ways from Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1342