Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549843 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16860 on: April 25, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »

Now Trump has more excuse to yell "Collusion!"

Not that he ever needed excuses to do anything.
That's not called an excuse, that's called proof

Since you know

Colluding is colluding

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16861 on: April 25, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »

It doesn't really matter who wins the Republican nomnom anyway. Bill is already picking out the dress he's going to wear at the swearing-in. He's probably spotted one already....

Anyway, found this rather interesting. One of the more serious takes on Basic Income. It'll happen. Maybe in 20 years when my generation is old and bothers voting, but it'll happen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16862 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:49 pm »

The main problem the Republicans had and still have is that there wasn't a single strong frontrunner

The triggered this weakness, yes.  However if the weakness wasn't there to begin with it wouldn't have happened.  Sooner or later there would be a weak field, it just happened to be sooner.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16863 on: April 25, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »

It doesn't really matter who wins the Republican nomnom anyway. Bill is already picking out the dress he's going to wear at the swearing-in. He's probably spotted one already....

Isn't the 'Clinton' name of Scottish origin? I think. He should wear a kilt. lol

Anyway, Ted Cruz has narrowed down his VP list which includes Carly Fiorina.

Picking a woman as a VP for the republicans would definetly be of help against Hillary. I got curious about it and decided to check it out editwhiletyping: Oh hey, Wiki has a non-comprehensive list http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/politics/ted-cruz-vice-president-carly-fiorina/index.html

Meh, anything I can find is about as predictive as the wiki page.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16864 on: April 25, 2016, 05:22:55 pm »

Picking a woman as a VP for the republicans would definetly be of help against Hillary.

These are two men famous for their lack of feminism.  Anyone who cares about a woman VP is already a lost cause.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16865 on: April 25, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »

Picking a woman as a VP for the republicans would definetly be of help against Hillary.

These are two men famous for their lack of feminism.  Anyone who cares about a woman VP is already a lost cause.

Think like a politician, a woman VP would counter Hillarys womaness* and help with the women vote.

*from a political perspective and the perspective of the republicans.

Of course though, Hillary could counter with a woman VP.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:28:56 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16866 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »

Think like a politician,

Think like a politician, someone who does this full time and has highly paid expert advisors?  Or think like a rhetorical punching bag?

Clinton/Warren 2016
"No more men in the oval office from here on out"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16867 on: April 25, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »

Think like a politician,

Think like a politician, someone who does this full time and has highly paid expert advisors?  Or think like a rhetorical punching bag?

Both?

Also sometthing from Maryland (and Pennsylvania): http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/maryland-pennsylvania-senate-mcginty-van-hollen-edwards-sestak-222405

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16868 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:36 pm »

Yeah, that's a tough vote to cast.  I really like both candidates.  It seems like either way the party is killing it's young.  Either we are making it impossible for promising leadership candidates to rise or we are creating a glass ceiling that shuts out the really impressive people who had the drive to move past hardship.  I can't fault either one on the issues.  We need party members like him and we need voices like hers and only one can be let in.  Meanwhile we have a buttload of senators in other places who are deadwood that I would gladly trade two of for either one of these.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:22:57 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16869 on: April 25, 2016, 10:58:57 pm »

Clinton/Warren 2016
"No more men in the oval office from here on out"
remove testes

But seriously though, Warren didn't want to be president, but could we talk her into running as Sanders' VP?  :P I'd prefer the opposite, both to moderate the negative aspects of Sanders' public image and to nullify the "BUT SHE R FURST WOMYN PRES MUST VOTE" effect on Clinton, but you don't always get what you want.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16870 on: April 25, 2016, 11:29:01 pm »

I kinda doubt Warren would want to be Sanders VP.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16871 on: April 25, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »

Think like a politician,

Think like someone who wants to get into office. Think like someone who has everyone and their mother trying to get favors from you in return for financing your getting into office. Think like someone who needs to convince a fickle and only halfway informed public that they are the person for the job. Think like someone who needs to beat out everyone else in these respects. Think like someone for whom the first step to being able to make a difference, is being elected, and so must put being elected as their top priority. Think like someone who does this for a living, and has done this for a living, long enough that it has become second-nature to them. Think like someone who has decided that if it becomes necessary to change their position on a subject in order to get personally elected, then so be it. Think like someone for whom the most important resource is perception, above all others, and popularity, and the only requirement to be beaten is for a rival to be more popular than you. Not necessarily more competent at the actual arts of statesmanship, but simply more popular.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16872 on: April 26, 2016, 12:10:30 am »

Yes, those are the common cliches.  Politicians are whores to the fundraisers and are incapable of independent thought or conviction.  I too am familiar with such cliches.  My personal favorite rendition of this song is the Gilbert and Sullivan version.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:18:25 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16873 on: April 26, 2016, 12:50:36 am »

Though speaking of the effect of fundraising on politics, I didn't really conceptualize what Congressional Fundraising looked like until John Oliver's spot on it on HBO.

If you care to check it out, quick link.

Comedy Show or no, it's kinda upsetting to learn about the quantity of time congresspeople are expected to waste not doing their jobs to raise funds for their party. Yet another reason things move so damn slow there, I guess?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16874 on: April 26, 2016, 01:43:14 am »

God, I knew our congress was wasting time, but I assumed they were wasting time making backroom deals, being way too powerful in committees, and waiting around during filibusters in congress.  I didn't realize that some of the most powerful individuals in our government spent half their time being mistreated call center employees.  That's depressing as hell.

It really is a stupid pretense to act like the political parties aren't a part of our government, if they can do that to our elected officials.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 1342