Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550541 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16680 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »

"Well I think Andrew Jackson was a tremendous secretary — I mean a tremendous president,".

He reminds me of Cicero.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16681 on: April 20, 2016, 08:52:30 pm »

You're being pedantic to prove your point.

I had a point?
Fine. You're being pedantic for fun. :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16682 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:26 pm »

Fine. You're being pedantic for fun. :P

Life is too short not to indulge sometimes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16683 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:09 pm »

"Well I think Andrew Jackson was a tremendous secretary — I mean a tremendous president,".

He reminds me of Cicero.

He may have been confusing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Jackson_Donelson who was Andrew Jacksons nephew and his seceretary for a time, not Seceretary of State, just seceretary.

But somehow, I don't think that's what Carson slipped up about.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16684 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:30 pm »

Regardless: Jackson is, in my opinion, one of the greatest American presidents, and for one very simple reason: Universal manhood suffrage. His push for manhood suffrage turned the U.S. from an oligarchy to a distant relative of a democracy, and opened the door for women's suffrage, black suffrage, etc.

:o

You know there were male slaves, right? Did you, um, forget ... no, you wrote black suffrage later, so... I don't even understand.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16685 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:13 pm »

Do you know how rare the $2 bill is?

Not even slightly. Next time you go to a bank, ask for them and you'll get exactly half as many Jeffersons as you would have gotten Washingtons. They don't get used much in day to day business because people don't like bothering with them (the same reason dollar coins have yet to catch on), but they're not rare.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16686 on: April 20, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »

Businesses preferred not to use them, that's the reason I read for why they are rare. Businesses found it easier to just stock up on $1 bills for giving change, thus the raw demand for reprinting is low (since demand from banknotes is driven by bank requests to the treasury). I just read that sometimes people try and pay with one, but the vendors sometimes aren't aware that they are still legal tender, causing issues. Hence, the few that are in circulation end up being hoarded rather than spent, driving a rare note even further out of circulation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:35:37 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16687 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:55 pm »

Do you know how rare the $2 bill is?

Not even slightly. Next time you go to a bank, ask for them and you'll get exactly half as many Jeffersons as you would have gotten Washingtons. They don't get used much in day to day business because people don't like bothering with them (the same reason dollar coins have yet to catch on), but they're not rare.

Well, they just seem rare I guess because they aren't commonly used in day to day business.

Also, I don't think Jefferson deserves being booted off the 2 dollar bill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16688 on: April 20, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »

There are apparently a non-insignificant number of people who don't believe in 2$ bills. That is, they actually don't think they're real currency and accuse people with them of counterfeiting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16689 on: April 20, 2016, 09:36:18 pm »

Somebody paid 8 dollars in 2 dollar bills on Saturday. I traded 8 of my own dollars to get them. (we're not supposed to do that... don't tell my boss.) So now I have 4 2 dollar bills.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16690 on: April 20, 2016, 09:39:16 pm »

There are apparently a non-insignificant number of people who don't believe in 2$ bills. That is, they actually don't think they're real currency and accuse people with them of counterfeiting.

Yeah, my first thought was 'Is this thing real?'. Not because I didn't believe in 2$ bills, but because I didn't even know they existed in the first place.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16691 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »

Most of those same people will reject fifty-cent pieces (which are becoming genuinely rare) or dollar coins (not even slightly rare) for the same reason. They seldom see them, and thus think they are fake. Yet many will happily take Canadian coins even if they notice it's Canadian.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16692 on: April 20, 2016, 09:44:17 pm »

Canadian dime, nickle, quarter and the rare penny are for all intents and purposes interchangeable with American coins. the difference in technical value is almost nill most of the time and people just don't care.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16693 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:10 pm »

I saw a fake three dollar bill once. Obviously this means that two dollar bills must be fake too.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16694 on: April 20, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »

Most of those same people will reject fifty-cent pieces (which are becoming genuinely rare) or dollar coins (not even slightly rare) for the same reason. They seldom see them, and thus think they are fake. Yet many will happily take Canadian coins even if they notice it's Canadian.

I had a Canadian coin somehow in my piggy bank/toy safebox that you put coins in. I think, it had a beaver on it. May have been a state commemorative coin though, those go around every couple years.
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1342