Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550777 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16590 on: April 19, 2016, 09:17:02 pm »

I read that at "teen lawmakers" and thought I was in a delightful universe of comedy.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »

Hey there, M, I'm pretty sure we actually get teen written laws pushed into the books occasionally. Usually feel good stuff, iirc, and pretty rare, but still. It happens!

If my memory's not completely shot and/or the news articles I'm possibly misremembering weren't massively misrepresenting what happened, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16592 on: April 19, 2016, 09:20:29 pm »

There have been teenage mayors.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16593 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:44 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/19/474892457/tenn-lawmakers-call-for-federal-probe-over-arrest-of-elementary-school-children

just what?

Well, you see, this is how it works in the American criminal justice system: You take some mostly harmless criminals, throw them into a slightly harder criminal culture, make them extremely angry with the criminal justice system, and then release them back into the world with all that newfound anger and knowledge.

Starting them off at 6 just gets the ball rolling earlier.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16594 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »

That's mayors, though. The bar for mayoral positions are not so much low as they are subterranean.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16595 on: April 19, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »

Teen lawmakers exist but it would be ironic for them to be dealing with child protection issues.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:04 pm »

That's mayors, though. The bar for mayoral positions are not so much low as they are subterranean.
Yes, but also no.  You still have to get elected first.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16597 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:10 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/19/474892457/tenn-lawmakers-call-for-federal-probe-over-arrest-of-elementary-school-children

just what?

As some commenters pointed out in the NPR article, can you imagine if these kids had actually jumped into the fray, then the cops turned up? They were indicted for not getting involved in a fight. It's a catch-22. But it still seems insane that a 6 year old is supposed to break up a fight of older kids.

... It's more understandable that this happen, but no more excusable, when you realize the community meeting to protest this was almost entirely African American. (NPR omitted any mention of this). So ... I'm getting a better handle on this. 5 very young African American kids didn't get involved in a fight, so they get arrested for ... not fighting. There's a thing, where the cops tend to treat African American children for infractions as if they were older. e.g. a 14 year old black kid will be more likely to be charged as an adult, and I'm guessing they're treating 6 year old black kids as the moral equivalent of a white teenager in Tennessee.

Seriously, putting a year old black kids into detention centers for not doing anything (this included several girls). That's patently insane, but it's got The South written all over it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:53:39 pm by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16598 on: April 19, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »

>  The Tennessean, however, reports some of the parents said the children were charged with " 'criminal responsibility for conduct of another,' which according to Tennessee criminal offense code includes incidents when a 'person fails to make a reasonable effort to prevent' an offense.' "

... So Good Samaritan Laws are real and apply to six year olds, eh? Note to self, never visit Tennessee.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16599 on: April 19, 2016, 09:59:15 pm »

Note the dad who's two daughters were among the arrested kids. So if your 10 and 8 year old daughters witness two boys fighting, they're now expected to go all "action girl" on dem boys asses. So in other words, the law doesn't even take into account whether you could safely break up the fight. You're expected to break up fights of bigger and stronger people than yourself, even at personal risk. BTW there's no news on whether the two people fighting have been charged with anything.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:01:38 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16600 on: April 19, 2016, 10:12:04 pm »

To be fair, they haven't released any details on the situation because it involves minors.  It might make more sense if we had any idea what happened.

For example, the kids might have formed a ring around the combatants and jeered them on...  That's a thing that happens.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16601 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

Yeah, but a ring of six to ten year olds urging on a fight? At that point that probably deserve shouting, not arrest.

I honestly can't think of anything that they could have been doing short of actual physical violence (Which, as far as we know, they did not) that would warrant an arrest. Hell, even if they were involved in the fighting it's still not an arrestable thing for me.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16602 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:57 pm »

>  The Tennessean, however, reports some of the parents said the children were charged with " 'criminal responsibility for conduct of another,' which according to Tennessee criminal offense code includes incidents when a 'person fails to make a reasonable effort to prevent' an offense.' "

... So Good Samaritan Laws are real and apply to six year olds, eh? Note to self, never visit Tennessee.
Just as a clarification, these are the "Good Samaritan laws" being referring to, rather than the more typical laws that bear that moniker.  In this, the handful of states that possess these laws do indeed have a bit more in common with nations like France, Germany, and Denmark than the UK and other common law nations, so I can see how it might seem unusual. 

Still, more than passing strange to arrest a whole bunch of children for this; I wonder what the specifics of the case really are.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16603 on: April 19, 2016, 10:29:31 pm »

I honestly can't think of anything that they could have been doing short of actual physical violence (Which, as far as we know, they did not) that would warrant an arrest. Hell, even if they were involved in the fighting it's still not an arrestable thing for me.
Eeehhhh... I could conceptually see it if this was like the dozenth time they had surrounded people and incited violence, despite other attempts to prevent the behavior. That could conceivably see some time in juvie, or something of similar nature tailored for the particularly young.

... I somehow doubt that's what happened in this case, though. Most of the time we see kids this young get arrested, it seems to be primarily cases of cops and/or administrators being pieces of shit. Still, few hundred million people, some of 'em will probably be kids that actually did something reasonably sufficient to net being sent off.

S'just, y'know. Unlikely.
Ask not!
Ask!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16604 on: April 19, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj_IsiMA4G4

Finally I understand why Trump saw muslims cheering.  I would be cheering too.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 1342