Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1551078 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16410 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »

My opinion of broadcast news media has reached a new low.

Because they didn't give coverage to a protest by a few hundred people?
Well, if they gave months-long coverage to a protest by 50 people...

*this assumes everything I heard in that video is true, which may or may not be true
also I'm 90% sure there are more than a few hundred people at the protest
not every single person was arrested after all, but the 400 people arrested number seems fairly reliable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16411 on: April 13, 2016, 03:17:15 pm »

Sanders won 39.9% of the vote in Arizona but got 44.0% of the delegates.  I dont remember you bitching and moaning back then and asking why we have voting booths.
Arizona is also the place where we were demanding the resignation of one of our county recorders after thousands of people literally were unable to vote due to having so few voting areas that they literally ran out of time for people to vote. :P There actually was quite a bit of bitching at least in-state since most of the Sanders votes tend to come in through poll day stuff while Clinton votes tend to come in early, so it's definitely possible that Sanders could have even won the state with the number of people who got turned away.

It's just that the national news didn't really cover our search for the Maricopa county recorder's head since the actual election primaries had moved on to other states by that point and we were very unlikely to ever be able to actually call for a revote. :P

Edit: Oh, and we also had thousands of people denied the right to vote in the democratic primary because a database problem showed them registered as independent or in tiny third-parties, despite the fact that some of them had even been registered democrats for well over 40 years.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:22:02 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16412 on: April 13, 2016, 03:18:32 pm »

I hadn't heard anything about it.

Maybe choose to stop identifying with the increasingly terrible political party then.
I would like to vote in a primary, and even the tenuous match the Republican party has with my views (mainly fiscally, and in some ways reach of government) beats the Democratic one. Registering Republican doesn't bind me to a vote, after all, and it's inevitably much more useful to put my vote to try and push things in the party I do favor of the two rather than just registering Independent or Libertarian for the hell of it.

I'm registered independent, and I can vote in one primary of my choice each time the primaries roll around. If you can't, then your state's got some shitty laws.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16413 on: April 13, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »

Also depends on the party. I'm independent and could vote in several primaries this time around, but the Republicans specifically are only letting registered republicans vote in their for California. So I'm going to vote in the Democratic primary.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16414 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:20 pm »

50% of 18 is 9, not 7.

Oh you are complaining about the mere existance of superdelegates doing what they are supposed to?  You think that the super delegates should have already rolled out the red carpet for Sanders based on his ability to get 30 more people to caucus in Wyoming?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16415 on: April 13, 2016, 04:58:07 pm »

50% of 18 is 9, not 7.

Oh you are complaining about the mere existance of superdelegates doing what they are supposed to?  You think that the super delegates should have already rolled out the red carpet for Sanders based on his ability to get 30 more people to caucus in Wyoming?
Not particularly, just pointing out math. Not that politics pays attention to math much anyways...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16416 on: April 13, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »

The math is that there was 14 delegates at stake and he got 50%.  The super delegates are not awarded on the basis of the caucus.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16417 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:10 pm »

Your election system is byzantine.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16418 on: April 13, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »

Silly OW, we're not even electing anyone yet :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16419 on: April 13, 2016, 07:39:28 pm »

Your election system is byzantine.

Actually in Byzantium, I'm pretty sure who was in charge was mostly up to hereditary stuff :V

Quite simple, really.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16420 on: April 13, 2016, 08:01:25 pm »

The math is that there was 14 delegates at stake and he got 50%.  The super delegates are not awarded on the basis of the caucus.
The article had said there were 18, sorry.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16421 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:42 pm »

The article had said there were 18, sorry.

Dont worry, you are just as much a victim of a confusing process as the rest of us.

Actually in Byzantium, I'm pretty sure who was in charge was mostly up to hereditary stuff :V

They eastern roman empire had a few dynasties but they also had a lot of non-hereditary secessions as well.  They even had some common soldiers rise to emperor.  It really depended on the time period, the late empire tended to be more hereditary.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16422 on: April 13, 2016, 08:16:32 pm »

Because they didn't give coverage to a protest by a few hundred people?

MSNBC anchor asks "why does the democratic party even have voting booths?" in regards to superdelegates.

Sander won 55.7% of the votes but got 50% of the delegates in Wyoming.  Democracy usurped!

Sanders won 39.9% of the vote in Arizona but got 44.0% of the delegates.  I dont remember you bitching and moaning back then and asking why we have voting booths.

That's a poor line of argument. It's akin to the "reverse racism" thing: "Oh so you say the legal system is stacked against black people. Well here's <anecdote> about a white man unfairly treated, where a black man got let off. I don't remember you bitching and moaning back then!" The system is rigged against political outsiders. An occasional blip that goes the other way isn't evidence that there's no problem, just the same as the occasional black man who gets a better deal from the legal system is proof that there's no racism.

Your whole "the rigged game is perfectly fine!" thing makes you sound irrational. It needs fixing. It doesn't matter who it's currently favoring at any specific moment, a broken system exhibits symptoms of being broken from time to time. The amount of superdelegates is enough that they can basically ignore the vote and choose the candidates in all but a complete landslide. That sort of power of party strongmen encourages cronyism and lobbyist power.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:22:23 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16423 on: April 13, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »

the best description of the EREs system for succession is that they had no system for inheritance. it was whatever worked and it usually didn't work.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16424 on: April 13, 2016, 08:28:38 pm »

The system is rigged against political outsiders. An occasional blip that goes the other way isn't evidence that there's no problem

That would be the case if I was pointing out some anecdote from a multitude and what he was indicating was the general.  But Wyoming is not indicative of a broader trend.  In fact it's the opposite:

To date, Sanders has captured 46 percent of Democrats’ pledged delegates but just 42 percent of raw votes.

Ironically, the behavior you accused me of is the exact behavior you yourself are displaying.  You assumed that a specific case of "discrimination" against your preferred group was generally descriptive.  And you leapt to accuse me of it.  Maybe next time dont leap to compare me to racists because it's so fucking clever to do that instead of y'know considering the other side.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:33:03 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 ... 1342