Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546245 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16380 on: April 12, 2016, 07:28:53 pm »

Right after our election system unfucks itself so that's a reasonable proposition :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16381 on: April 12, 2016, 07:41:32 pm »

The North Carolina one was essentially in opposition to a bill in a county that said basically the opposite of HB2, allowing transgender people to use bathrooms that corresponded to their identity.
I always found it weird that male-female bathrooms are legally enforced in the first place
...y'know, now that you mention it I'm not sure that they are enforced here in the States. It would be on a state-by-state basis. The only bathroom laws I can think of off the top of my head are things like restaurants needing facilities for public use, etc. There are probably legal requirements for the installation of gender-segregated restrooms (urinals vs. more stalls, and the like), but I'm not sure there are legal requirements for their use. Or at least, none before now.

I could be wrong. Trying to do some digging, but I'm not the best at vague legal research. If someone knows otherwise I would appreciate the education.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16382 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »

Right after our election system unfucks itself so that's a reasonable proposition :V

To be fair, real conservatives DO have a strong candidate to vote for. She's just registered to the wrong party.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16383 on: April 12, 2016, 08:10:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16385 on: April 12, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »

RIP this great union.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16386 on: April 12, 2016, 09:35:11 pm »

So, realization- this election? The 2016 presidential election? It'll be nothing compared to the 2020 election, since this one clearly shows extreme dissatisfaction with the way things are ran and still won't result in any change. Imagine how pissed off the electorate will be in 2020.

I tend to take this viewpoint: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/08/voters-are-angry-voters-are-fed-voters-are-blah-blah-blah

To be fair, real conservatives DO have a strong candidate to vote for. She's just registered to the wrong party.

I always found it weird that male-female bathrooms are legally enforced in the first place

Is it?  I thought that it never was something the law covered until they realized transgender people were the new wave of people to persecute.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:37:22 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16387 on: April 12, 2016, 09:44:28 pm »

Is it?  I thought that it never was something the law covered until they realized transgender people were the new wave of people to persecute.
I dunno, I just assumed it was because otherwise no-one would be whining about trans people not being able to use whatever bathroom they prefer.

Unless they're all just whining about nothing, which wouldn't surprise me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16388 on: April 12, 2016, 09:48:12 pm »

Yeah, s'far as I'm aware in most (maybe all, I'unno) states it hasn't been. Should be pretty obvious just by dint of how many smaller businesses and restaurants and whatnot only have a single restroom.

S'actually kinda' amusing that mandating separate male and female facilities is pretty anti-small business, ha. The little guy's important right up until you've got to stomp on a mostly non-existent boogieman in order to screw someone over, I guess~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16389 on: April 12, 2016, 09:48:53 pm »

I tend to take this viewpoint: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/08/voters-are-angry-voters-are-fed-voters-are-blah-blah-blah
That article made sense when it was written and Donald Trump appeared to be another terrible joke candidate for the Republicans. Now he has basically won the primary, and if he is defeated it will be by another outsider to the Republican mainstream.  That suggests this is different to previous years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16390 on: April 12, 2016, 10:03:23 pm »

Yeah, s'far as I'm aware in most (maybe all, I'unno) states it hasn't been. Should be pretty obvious just by dint of how many smaller businesses and restaurants and whatnot only have a single restroom.

S'actually kinda' amusing that mandating separate male and female facilities is pretty anti-small business, ha. The little guy's important right up until you've got to stomp on a mostly non-existent boogieman in order to screw someone over, I guess~

It's also anti-disabled. Since in my experience, a business will have one unisex single-person disabled toilet along with the men's and women's. So they're going to have "his and hers" disabled toilets now or they break the law? Less places will bother then.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16391 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:08 pm »

The recount in Missouri is finally finished, it gave Trump 12 more delegates. That leaves the count at Trump 755, Cruz 545, Rubio 171, Kasich 143.

Also can someone explain wtf is going on with Colorado's Republican convention? I'm hearing a lot of noise about that but I'm having trouble finding what actually happened past all the people who're pissed off about whatever it was.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16392 on: April 12, 2016, 10:22:36 pm »

It's also anti-disabled. Since in my experience, a business will have one unisex single-person disabled toilet along with the men's and women's. So they're going to have "his and hers" disabled toilets now or they break the law? Less places will bother then.

Lockable single-person toilets will probably be exempt regardless, since those don't have the same concerns to them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16393 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:52 pm »

The recount in Missouri is finally finished, it gave Trump 12 more delegates. That leaves the count at Trump 755, Cruz 545, Rubio 171, Kasich 143.

Also can someone explain wtf is going on with Colorado's Republican convention? I'm hearing a lot of noise about that but I'm having trouble finding what actually happened past all the people who're pissed off about whatever it was.
I can't find too much, either, beyond that Cruz picked up all 34 delegates there and Trump folk are crying foul.  Colorado's delegates are chosen on a caucus system has some very confusing rules that were never really changed, in spite of a bit of a push last year to shift to a statewide primary system like most states.   You have to preregister 29 days in advance to vote, and I suspect a lot of people didn't bother.  You have to be affiliated with the party whose candidate you're supporting for at least 2 months, and given some of the chaos that came out on the Democrat side in places like New York, I suspect there were a lot of "Republicans" who discovered to their unpleasant surprise that they were formally registered independent or Democrat (since with a secret ballot, your registered party affiliation is not at all tied to who you've actually voted for in past elections, and since it almost never come up otherwise, it can easily be out of date, leaving aside the possibility of bureaucratic SNAFUs or actual foul play).  Finally, you don't actually vote directly for who you want the delegates to support; each congressional district has a "mini-convention" of sorts to choose a delegate who, as far as I can tell, votes their stated preference.

NOTANEDIT:
Ah, I just found this.  It appears that above and beyond the points I make above, the Republicans changed the rules this year to completely cancel the caucus votes and all preference polls in the state in order to bypass a rule at the national party level that requires them to abide by the result of any such vote and allocate their delegates accordingly.  The state convention then awarded 13 delegates and 7 congressional assemblies the remaining 21, all of which are likely dominated by party insiders, and thus naturally giving Cruz 34 delegates.  Technically not illegal (the primaries are not a part of the national election system, but rather a function of the individual parties - they could choose their presidential candidate by pulling ping pong balls out of a fishbowl, for all any hypothetical Electoral Commission could cares), but highly questionable given the preponderance of the Democratic and Republican parties and the contentious nature of this particular primary season.  Worse, it doesn't even pretend to be subtle.   The Drudge Report article referenced in that (here) has more information on the normal process.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:38:16 pm by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16394 on: April 12, 2016, 10:35:39 pm »

That article made sense when it was written and Donald Trump appeared to be another terrible joke candidate for the Republicans. Now he has basically won the primary, and if he is defeated it will be by another outsider to the Republican mainstream.  That suggests this is different to previous years.

It does suggest something different but a lot of things could explain that besides voters being especially angry.  I mean, compare to 2008, the economy had just tanked and there was a really unpopular war.  I would say that Donald Trump isn't so much a product of voter anger as an exceptionally weak set of mainstream candidates and a media that gave him the equivalent of billions in free advertising so no challenger could emerge.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 1091 1092 [1093] 1094 1095 ... 1342