Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546524 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16260 on: April 11, 2016, 02:45:10 am »

YOUR. ON. A. COMPUTER. YOU. GORGIOUS. MAN. YOU.
YOU. ARE. DOING. WELL. FOR. YOURSELF. I. IMAGINE.
WHY. DONT. YOU. GIVE. THOES. PEOPLE. YOUR. WEALTH. ITS. THE. RIGHT. THING. TO. DO. RIGHT.
Sell some of your possessions and give it to thoes people your worried about and Id have a bit more respect for your viewpoint.

Also to the man above you
Fiat currency tends to do that when you print it indefinatlly.
Also I get yelled at if I use sources with a .org not fair.
;-;

What wealth? The two pieces of furniture I have? The computer that I had to save for half a year for? The shitty cheap internet that barely works? The less-than-$100 in my bank account that has to last for the rest of this week? The income-adjusted apartment with the pot growing neighbors downstairs and the screaming kids next door? How much money do you think I have?

More then the people begging by the grocery store.
More then some famillies in a depressing amount of the world.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16261 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:00 am »

I forgot, starving children in Ethiopia. This will be my last post, gonna sell my earthly possessions for the good of mankind.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:53 am »

I forgot, starving children in Ethiopia. This will be my last post, gonna sell my earthly possessions for the good of mankind.
God speed :D

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16263 on: April 11, 2016, 02:48:57 am »

You can buy a decent computer for like 1/2 of a month's rent, and that's if we're talking cheapest possible two-bedroom apartment in one of the lowest cost of living metropolitan areas in the country.  And it's a resource that lasts for years.

One of the perspective issues we have in the U.S. is that luxuries here are very cheap, but necessities are very expensive.  Homeless people here have fancy smart phones, and people point to that and say "Look!  He has a modern electronic gadget!  He can't possibly have it so bad.  In the U.S., even poor people have wondrous things!"  But what the fuck does it matter if that smart phone doesn't come anywhere close to making the difference between being able to afford a place to live or not, and that person will still suffer all the effects of being poor resulting from lack of necessities, including a significant reduction in life expectancy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16264 on: April 11, 2016, 02:52:30 am »

Smart decision buying the phone over yah know
Food...

Now shall we tackle the problems of homelessness and poverty at an individual level.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:54:15 am by Sprin »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16265 on: April 11, 2016, 02:53:42 am »

You sound really entitled right now by the way.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16266 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:06 am »

Prolly its 4am and I haven't slept
Rationality went out the window

*rationality mode*
Now what I recomend is gathering people together as volunteers to help thoes in need. There are many organisations in the US dedicated to fixing problems like that. I do not think the burocracy involved in the US political system is capable of reaching out to thoes in need. Thoes who are are people like you. This whole thread has alot of people who are worried about peoples well being.
I do not have faith in political systems or parties that depend on people being dependent on them to remain in power, but I do have faith in people going out of their way personally to make a difference.

Sound better and less entightly?
Eh trying.

Yell at me later. I mean well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:25:21 am by Sprin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: April 11, 2016, 06:11:38 am »

You sound really entitled right now by the way.
You've attacked the tone of his argument, but not its content.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: April 11, 2016, 06:38:52 am »

As for the enviorment stop subsidising pipe dreams, we need energy that meets our needs, if its clean efficient and affordable its not going to be hard for people to want to buy it.

Great, so when do we shut down every nuclear, coal and natural gas plant in the country and go back to wood burning?

Oh wait, when you said "I hate subsidies" you actually just meant "the subsidies that are ideologically linked to different political groups then mine", didn't you?

Well if we want cheaper healthcare we gata ease on the regulations and irresponsible use of insurance.

Sure, besides the fact that it's has been the biggest failure in the history of human economics as measured in inflation adjusted dollar terms.  At this point it's like saying "want to cure a headache?  Why not bash yourself in the head with a hammer?"  This is what happens when people develop an ideology and then just assume that it's going to work without bothering to compare the results.  US healthcare is ridiculously expensive and ridiculously inefficient and doesn't deliver exceptional results for that money.

And this, right here is the problem with your ideology in a nutshell.  You say it's about efficiency but here where we have a gross failure of efficiency, something that costs us 8 cents out of every dollar you dont even bother to learn that the problem exists.  If you actually gave a shit about efficiency like you said you did, you would care about finding the best solution not just making a kneejerk assumption that your blind faith in an ideology automatically leads to the best solution.

Terrible working protections? I just got a raise brah :D

Ah yes, the singular form of data, anecdote
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:41:50 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16269 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:46 am »

You've attacked the tone of his argument, but not its content.
I was replying to this:
Smart decision buying the phone over yah know
Food...

Prolly its 4am and I haven't slept
Rationality went out the window
Yeah I do that as well

I mean well.
I don't doubt that, but I disagree with your opinions so I'm debating them.

I do not have faith in political systems or parties that depend on people being dependent on them to remain in power, but I do have faith in people going out of their way personally to make a difference.
I have a huge amount of respect who get involved with charity/missionary work. I think it's a very admirable pursuit.

That said, governments have a number of things that charitable organisations don't have: legislative power, money, people, and personal records.
A government can collect revenue through taxes, rather than unreliable donations, and has the added bonus of reducing income inequality (rich get richer, poor get poorer, and all that).
A government can distribute this money much more effectively and more evenly than a charity could ever hope to. Governments employ hundreds and thousands of people (i.e. moar jobs) and ensure that money goes to those who need it (thanks to tax records and the like) rather than rich people who don't need it.

I would much rather have a government that's got my back than hope and pray that there's a charity somewhere to help me when I land in trouble.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: April 11, 2016, 07:30:54 am »

legislative power, T_T

Money

Its hardlly charitable to steal from people. Jesus would not be amused.

Also wealth redistribution worked so well in USSR
Yah know they have the workers back, in fact I can pull up something neat about it if you give me time

Side note HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU THINK THE 1% EVEN HAVE!?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:44:10 am by Sprin »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16271 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:08 am »

legislative power, T_T

Money

Its hardlly charitable to steal from people

So in order to answer a small question about relative utility functions, you expect me to explain all of monetary policy and political science to you?

If you demand a herculean labor for anyone to have the privilege to converse with you unless they share your views, you will do an admirable job in shutting out all dissenting voices.

Also, dont use images that large, it's bad form.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16272 on: April 11, 2016, 07:38:07 am »

legislative power, T_T

Money

Its hardlly charitable to steal from people

So in order to answer a small question about relative utility functions, you expect me to explain all of monetary policy and political science to you?

If you demand a herculean labor for anyone to have the privilege to converse with you unless they share your views, you will do an admirable job in shutting out all dissenting voices.

Also, dont use images that large, it's bad form.

What? I was just saying how much debt we're in when he brought up the government having money. Money that requires taxation, taxation implying the use of force to take.
Thats hardlly herculingin

Also for the image, woops it looked smaller 0_0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:43:03 am by Sprin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16274 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:56 am »

What? I was just saying how much debt we're in when he brought up the government having money.
To be fair that debt is largely sustainable debt, government deficit is another matter but can be addressed in ways other than cutting subsidies.

Money that requires taxation, taxation implying the use of force to take.
Thats hardlly herculingin
You're literally opposed to taxes, wow

Its hardlly charitable to steal from people. Jesus would not be amused.
The same guy who said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's", and to respect those in authority over you? Yeah real anti-government was Jesus

Side note HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU THINK THE 1% EVEN HAVE!?
Around seven trillion dollars in the US
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:48:40 am by Orange Wizard »
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1342